Your reaction if O'Malley pulls a Sandhagen against Chito? How likely do you think it is?

Reptile_Bong_Hit

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I was thinking about O'Malley's boxing and it got me wondering about his fight against Chito.

O'Malley's hands are fantastic--but I still think Chito's Muay Thai will shrink the octagon little by little, round by round, over the course of the fight. Provided it stays on the feet, I think Chito lands the best shots overall despite being out-landed early. I list my outcomes by probability at the bottom.

Your reaction if O'Malley outwrestles Chito to a decision; and how likely do you think it is? It would be the smart thing to do--if possible--if things got dicey on the feet.

My prediction: Chito 55/45

• Chito inside the distance: 30%
  • Chito via UD or SD based on better strikes: 25%
  • O'Malley via UD or SD based on volume: 35%
  • O'Malley inside the distance: 10%

Is Vera´s ground game that bad? Not saying it will go the same as the last time they met, but i certainly doubt Omalley is even thinking about taking it to the ground other than maybe some panic wrestling if the time comes.

Is Vera´s ground game that bad? Not saying it will go the same as the last time they met, but i certainly doubt Omalley is even thinking about taking it to the ground other than maybe some panic wrestling if the time comes.

Sandhagen handled Chito, but I'm not sure if O'Malley has the cardio or wrestling to replicate Sandhagen's gameplan for five rounds.

I think Chito's BJJ is at least average for top 10 BW--if not slightly above average. I think the weakest link in his game is wrestling/scrambling.

Has O'Malley even shown much offensive wrestling in his UFC career? Pretty sure he'd be gassed out in the championship rounds if he tried that vs Chito lol.

True. I said as much in my previous post; I don't think the wrestling needs to be elite, but there's no evidence O'Malley meets that threshold.

I believed Sean in the postfight interview after Yan. He was talking about how he had to go places he hadn't been before in that fight. For me, I felt like he was referencing that he may have had painted heart the first Chito fight.
<Moves>

Sandhagen handled Chito, but I'm not sure if O'Malley has the cardio or wrestling to replicate Sandhagen's gameplan for five rounds.

I think Chito's BJJ is at least average for top 10 BW--if not slightly above average. I think the weakest link in his game is wrestling/scrambling.
He was completely lost underneath Aldo and begging the ref to bail him out. I'd say his grappling is below average for top 10.

cheeto-gettyimages-1213667618.jpg

I expect O'Malley to cruise to a clear decision (most likely on the feet). Chito's low-volume style is far too dependent on landing the kill shot. That might work against fringe top-10 BWs, but it generally won't cut it against the best guys in the division. Personally, I thought Chito lost to Munhoz. And O'Malley is a very different fighter than their first meeting.

I usually root for Chito. And I'll certainly root for him against O'Malley. But Chito has feasted on old BWs and, as a result, has become relatively overrated.

Pretty unlikely.
Chito got dominated by Sandhagens wrestling but I think that's more about how Sandhagen has improved and he repeated it against Font and yhe brick wall Yadong. Would Merab and other wrestlers go to work against Chito? Most likely but despite showing solid defence against Aljo Sean hasn't shown the offensive wrestling to out wrestle the top 10.

Chito also has seemed to be more strength based instead of yhe volume he showed earlier in his career... O'Malley might be able to hit a few surprise takedowns like Cruz did but I doubt he can control Chito for long without gassing.

Personally, I thought Chito lost to Munhoz. And O'Malley is a very different fighter than their first meeting.

I usually root for Chito. And I'll certainly root for him against O'Malley. But Chito has feasted on old BWs and, as a result, has become relatively overrated.

I agree with most of your take. However, even if you give Munhoz the UD in the 3 round fight, I feel like it would have taken a turn for the worse in the championship rounds.

I also tend to agree with Chito possibly being overrated; but the same case could be made for O'Malley (in so far as he hasn't fought any tough opponents in strictly stand-up wars over 5 rounds).

Back