Yair could be a favorable matchup for Topuria

Kaiokenrye24

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I think Topuria would make short work of Yair and break him inside 2 rds. Yair's kicking game could Topuria at bay for a rd or so but Topuria is smart can make adjustments to land the power punch and/or take Yair down at will and sub him or pound him into oblivion. Yair is also not the most durable fighter and he quit against Volkanovski when the tide turned against him.

People cite the headlock Jai Herbert landed against Topuria but that doesn't hold up either. Herbert is a massive lw with a 77" reach (Yair is only at 71)and now Topuria is much more defensively sound as we saw against Josh Emmett.

Topuria vs. Yair would be very similar to Figueiredo vs. Benavidez 1

Topuria would destroy him.

I'd favor topuria, but Yair is always a live dog due to how unpredictable he can be, and it will be interesting to see topuria against a long striker who actually knows how to use his length.

Yair is an enigma stylistically. I'd love to see them go at it. I don't think Yair is super prone to getting bulldozed by aggressive boxing with his style, but his results are a mixed bag. But Topuria is tough as nails

Only fight I want to see is Topuria vs Max.
Yair can suck it. Same to Ortega. They can fight Evloev for the next shot.

Yair would be a favorable match up for anyone who uses wrestling. Dude couldn’t wrestle his way out of a High School tourney.

Honestly Yair might be one of the most overrated guys in the sport. Dudes been soundly outwrestled by guys like Max Holloway and Jeremy Stephens of all people lol. couple that with the fact that he has a two round gas tank and you pretty much have a perfect summary of his abilities.

yair is a mental midget.

the dude felt he had completed his career with an interim belt and was simply just happy to be there and fighting volk.

i wouldn't be surprised if yair retires instead of fighting ilia.

Most dangerous and complicated fight for Topuria at FW..

I wanna see that fight so bad. still slightly leaning towards topuria though

Don't forget Topuria is an excellent wrestler and could easily gameplan around Yair's glaring weaknesses in the grappling department.

Don't forget Topuria is an excellent wrestler and could easily gameplan around Yair's glaring weaknesses in the grappling department.

This. The guy has lightning in his hands, but he's also an incredibly strong wrestler and a great grappler. He'd look to close the distance and pressure Yair, which has always been the formula to beat him. Even a much slower Emmett had some success and hurt Yair in the first round of their fight. Topuria is so much faster and more technical. I don't see it ending well for Yair.

Topuria would be wise to use his grappling - Yair has terrible takedown defense

On the feet would be interesting

If max beats gaethe , max deserves the next shot though …. And his length and chin present an interesting matchup - max has better shot then Volk due to length and durability imo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back