Wow, anyone see C2's website?

Wow, You guys are on it!! Everything I have read looks good. It is ok to have a slightly higher damper setting when you are sprinting i.e. 500meters to 1000 m. I usually have it at about a 6 and I am 5'10 185lbs. Some of you monsters could get away with and 8. There really shouldn't be many people higher than that. We do have a lot of info on our site and if you request a technique DVD (its Free) make sure you say that you have an interest in MMA. This allows me more time to work with you guys. There is also some good helpful rowing stuff on the CrossFit website. If you can

Wow, You guys are on it!! Everything I have read looks good. It is ok to have a slightly higher damper setting when you are sprinting i.e. 500meters to 1000 m. I usually have it at about a 6 and I am 5'10 185lbs. Some of you monsters could get away with and 8. There really shouldn't be many people higher than that. We do have a lot of info on our site and if you request a technique DVD (its Free) make sure you say that you have an interest in MMA. This allows me more time to work with you guys. There is also some good helpful rowing stuff on the CrossFit website. If you can

One of the rowers at my club told me that Rob Wadell, who is a very, very strong rower, did his 2000m test at a dragfactor of just 110.
For 500m one should put it higher. But if you are really strong maxstrengthwise it doesn'Tnecessarily mean that you should also row with a very high dragfactor. But as general rule of thumb - the stronger you are the higher the dragfactor should be. But still... play arround with it a bit.

My PR for the 500m is 1:29.6 (just recentlly) and 1000m in 3:10 (ages ago).

Another tip: Strokes per minute should be at least 35 for a 500m sprint. 38-42 is even better for most folks.

I managed to find one slightly used today so I'm ready to give this a try. This is a big investment for me so I hope it works out.

Does my gym have an older C2? The damper has no numbers on it that I can see, and, like I said, I don't feel much difference with it open or closed.

One of the rowers at my club told me that Rob Wadell, who is a very, very strong rower, did his 2000m test at a dragfactor of just 110.

Yeah Rob Waddell is ridiculous. That drag factor is interesting considering 110 would be a damper setting of around 2 on my rower.

Airtemperature and other factors dictate which damper setting equals which dragfactor. So it is damper setting between 2-4.
But the 2000m are a whole another animal than the 500m. I am pretty sure he would use a significantelly higher dumper setting for the sprints.

Btw. this is what Rob Wddell did before retuning to rowing:
Waddel,%20Rob-0-200-0-150.jpg

He put on a very high amount of mass for it (as far as I remember it was something between 20 and 30kg)

So well... none of us is Rob Waddell or aynthing close to his level. Which means that knowing what Rob Waddell does is just interesting - and has only little relevance to our training.

What's the damper setting, and what is drag factor.

I'm guessing the higher the damper the setting the higher the drag factore (more resisitance)?

wow.. that is really nice, I love the folding flexibilty, that is awesome..

I need to start setting some cheese aside for this...

I'm guessing the higher the damper the setting the higher the drag factore (more resisitance)?

Right. But you can'T exactlly say which damper setting equals which dragfactor as factors like aritemp play role as well.

The damper setting is how you set the resistance on the erg. The higher the damper setting the more air is allowed into the housing for the fan on the rower making it a slower, more powerful pull. The drag factor is basically how quickly the fan is slowing down and it's calculated by the computer on the rower. the higher the damper setting the higher the drag factor.

For the Canadians in this thread, there's no dealer in Canada who will sell this for less (or even match) the price you will get directly from Concept2. This includes shipping and paying tax at the border. Shipping took about 1 week to Eastern Canada.

And thanks for the mention in the thread! I've pulled 500m at 1:26 twice - weighing 170 and 180. Damper setting on 4.5 both times.

I might participate down the line for an ongoing challenge. It's been a long time for me, but I used to be on crew teams and still occasionally hop on a machine for fun.

For the Canadians in this thread, there's no dealer in Canada who will sell this for less (or even match) the price you will get directly from Concept2. This includes shipping and paying tax at the border. Shipping took about 1 week to Eastern Canada.

And thanks for the mention in the thread! I've pulled 500m at 1:26 twice - weighing 170 and 180. Damper setting on 4.5 both times.

How much did they charge you for doody(duty).

The damper setting is how you set the resistance on the erg. The higher the damper setting the more air is allowed into the housing for the fan on the rower making it a slower, more powerful pull. The drag factor is basically how quickly the fan is slowing down and it's calculated by the computer on the rower. the higher the damper setting the higher the drag factor.

Wow! That's pretty cool! My bike isn't that sophisticated, no matter how high you have the gear setting it still measures distance the same.

Wow! That's pretty cool! My bike isn't that sophisticated, no matter how high you have the gear setting it still measures distance the same.

All this talk about damper settings prompted me to do some experimenting. I always use a 4 damper setting on all my rows including the 500m test I did last month. The 4 setting always felt nice and fluid. Pulling as hard as I could I was around 1:30 per pull and finished at 1:30.6. Today I moved the damper setting to 7 and did 500m in 1:24.6. I averaged around 1:22 per pull for the first 250m and then slowed down a bit over the last half. I was blown away by how big the difference was. Being a bigger guy, the higher damper setting was much more beneficial than trying to get in more strokes per minute at a lower setting.

Sonny said:
How much did they charge you for doody(duty).

There's no duty on exercise equipment if it is made in North America (which C2 is). However, you will pay GST/PST or HST, whatever is applicable to your province.

There's no duty on exercise equipment if it is made in North America (which C2 is). However, you will pay GST/PST or HST, whatever is applicable to your province.

Damn, I didn't notice your user name. You're Anthony Bainbridge I assume.

Damn, I didn't notice your user name. You're Anthony Bainbridge I assume.

Yes sir. I check the forums now and then and when I saw my name mentioned in this post I decided to finally join and chime in. :D

Yes sir. I check the forums now and then and when I saw my name mentioned in this post I decided to finally join and chime in. :D

Damn, man, that's cool you posted. I was checking for Crossfit affiliates on the east coast, because I'm doing a 2 week tour of NS and PEI this summer. Ran across your website, and saw the stats, so I had to mention it here.

I'll have to try the 4-5 setting; I'm only 170, but setting the damper that low just feels...loose, if that makes sense. I tried 6 the only day and upped my stroke rate, but it didn't change my time.

Back