Wow, anyone see C2's website?

This is supposedly easier for bigger guys...the heavyweight times are faster.

Haha, great to see you guys learning about the "infernal machine". I just retired from rowing at college (my last race was exactly a week ago, graduated two days later), and I'm trying to find some way to keep my cardio up in the absence of that kind of training. The erg is a fantastic machine for fitness, I can think of no other thing that by itself can do so much.

Btw, my 500m time is 1:25, and I'm 185 lbs :) Though being a rower is a huge advantage, as technique is more important than you would think.

My recommendations for a fast 500m: damper at 6, stroke rating starting at around 32 spm, then going up as high as you can handle for the last 30 seconds or so when you're gassing.

Edit: In case anyone's interested, people who row seriously always gauge performance by their 2000m time, not 500m. If you feel like puking sometime, try pulling a 2k...my best was just short of 6:30, but that's not very good for a HW rower.

I'm feeling really impulsive with my credit card right now.

Btw, my 500m time is 1:25, and I'm 185 lbs :) Though being a rower is a huge advantage, as technique is more important than you would think.

My recommendations for a fast 500m: damper at 6, stroke rating starting at around 32 spm, then going up as high as you can handle for the last 30 seconds or so when you're gassing.

Edit: In case anyone's interested, people who row seriously always gauge performance by their 2000m time, not 500m. If you feel like puking sometime, try pulling a 2k...my best was just short of 6:30, but that's not very good for a HW rower.

Cool, thanks for chiming in, Rowan. I'll try your damper/stroke rate settings on my next 500m; and I guess it's time to start 2000m, lol.

JRT6 said:
I'm feeling really impulsive with my credit card right now.

No shit. I shot Greg an email after I saw his post here; I've been trying to get management to buy C2 rowers for the fire department for a while now, and I see Greg has "Police and Firefighter sales" in his post. He hasn't gotten back to me yet, but special pricing would be wicked.

Let me know how that goes because a discount could seal the deal.

I cranked the damper setting up to 7, and combined with knowing what I am doing now, hit 1:42.7 today for 500m. 1:30 will fall!

No shit. I shot Greg an email after I saw his post here; I've been trying to get management to buy C2 rowers for the fire department for a while now, and I see Greg has "Police and Firefighter sales" in his post. He hasn't gotten back to me yet, but special pricing would be wicked.

Let me know if you come across a canadian supplier.

Dan, do you know anywhere locally that sells them?

Nope, but when I go to work tomorrow I'll try to remember to ask Shawn where he got it.

I assume you've tried Fitness Depot already?

I assume you've tried Fitness Depot already?

Yeah I checked them out but all they have are schwinn rowers.

It's a durability issue for me. If I'm going to drop 1-2k on a rower it better last.

Another positive is that the rowing machine is an exercise machine the wife actually likes.

I cranked the damper setting up to 7, and combined with knowing what I am doing now, hit 1:42.7 today for 500m. 1:30 will fall!

Nice improvement!

Do you really feel the damper settings made much of a difference? I played with them a little bit and couldn't really feel much of a difference.

Do you really feel the damper settings made much of a difference? I played with them a little bit and couldn't really feel much of a difference.

I find a huge difference between 5 and 8; more so in the "feel" than anything. Stroke rate is slower, yet more powerful, much like the gearing on a bicycle.

I find a huge difference between 5 and 8; more so in the "feel" than anything. Stroke rate is slower, yet more powerful, much like the gearing on a bicycle.

Yeah, that's about how it works. Damper setting is about preference, there's no inherent advantage to going higher or lower unless you're doing something really short, like 100m (go higher), or you're worried about your back (go lower). Also, you can make your strokes just as powerful at lower damper settings, but you need to be more explosive. I find higher damper helps if you're "strong", and I usually use 6. But most rowers use 3 or 4, because that's supposed to most accurately simulate water in calm conditions.

Tight! Golds Gym just got some C2's. There are only 2 but no one ever uses them.

i have crank it to 10 and kind of power row
i try to keep it below 2:30 for the full 20 mins im on it. and i like to switch grips to work a slightly different muscle
in my opinion theres no real noticable difference in the feel between 7-10 but that might be our rowers (they are constantly in use so may be slightly slacker than some)

i have crank it to 10 and kind of power row
i try to keep it below 2:30 for the full 20 mins im on it. and i like to switch grips to work a slightly different muscle
in my opinion theres no real noticable difference in the feel between 7-10 but that might be our rowers (they are constantly in use so may be slightly slacker than some)

I would NEVER row at 7 or above for that amount of time, you're going to kill your back...unless you're a 7 foot tall monster, in which case do whatever you want. You'll probably see much better times going with a damper of 5 or so, and upping your stroke rating and smoothness. 2:30 is not, I'm sorry to say, a "power row" type of number. A new rower should be able to hold 2:05 for 20 minutes, if they're reasonably fit. And that's not a knock against you, it's just your technique must be wrong, which will invite injury.

Don't forget that you can check the drag factor if you aren't using the same erg each time you row. An erg with a damper setting of 6 may be equivalent to another erg with a damper setting of 5 or 7.
Concept2: Understanding Drag Factor

Back