Wow, anyone see C2's website?

And for what it's worth - I have never trained/rowed/erg'd competitively. I only use it as a conditioning tool.

500m in 1:25.4.

That puts me 2nd in the world for this season in the lightweight division.

They won't rank me on concept2's website until I verify with witness, but I started the process so it should be up soon.

Not bad considering this was my third workout today. :D

Nice work Anthony! I nailed a 1:30 the other day, setting the damper at 8.5. I can see myself breaking into the high 1:20's in the next few months.

If you already hit 1:30, you'll be high 1:20's sooner than that ... more than likely you'd be there next attempt with some minor coaching cues. Not an insult, but we can all improve our stroke!

Drag Factor is more important than damper setting. A damper of 8.5 on your machine and 8.5 on my machine might produce two different drag factors. And over time an 8.5 on your machine can produce a different drag factor too (dust, humidity, etc).

The compression shorts idea worked.

Am I reading this right? Mike is basically a world class rower?

Am I reading this right? Mike is basically a world class rower?

LOL there's no way. I swear to god if I break 1:30 I'll get someone to take a picture, but I wouldn't call flailing, grunting and flinging spit through a mere 500m sprint world class.

The world record, at least by C2 website, for 500m, is 1:14. That's a LONG assed way off from a buck-thirty.

500m in 1:25.4.

That puts me 2nd in the world for this season in the lightweight division.

They won't rank me on concept2's website until I verify with witness, but I started the process so it should be up soon.

Not bad considering this was my third workout today. :D

That's a sick time. I see they have you at #1 on the site with that one unverified time above you. Have you ever thought of competing at the Crash-B's?

That's a sick time. I see they have you at #1 on the site with that one unverified time above you. Have you ever thought of competing at the Crash-B's?

If I had more time to dedicate to rowing as a sport I would consider it - but a 500m sprint is a lot different than a 2000m piece. Can't brute force your way through that!

Okay, so I rowed a 1:38 500m AGAIN today. It was after squats, but not that much volume. I wasn't even winded bad after the 500. I felt like I was pulling as fast as I could though. Any suggestions on breaking this stubborn plateau?

Well I paid back $60- I saved on the used rower in office visits to my doctor. First stitchea, then more stitches after tearing the first ones out in JJ and then to get them removed wednesday.

What is the handle on the C2 supposed to look like? All previous rowing machines I have seen just have a handle like a foot long straight stick with the chain attached in the middle.

I work in Baltimore, MD and I went to a gym today where there were 2 C2 rowing machines, but the handles looked like oars. They were about 3 feet long, wood, and the chain was attached to a rope and the rope was attached to the narrow end of the oar.

The guys who I work with that were showing me the gym said that there are Dragon Boat races on the harbor there so they thought the Dragon Boat racers must use these machines for training. Like this I assume:

dragonboat-717416.jpg

Has anyone else ever seen a setup like this?

I was thinking of joining the gym, but I don't think I would like these oar handles.

On the way out I saw flyers about joining the Dragon Boat races so I guess that must be it, but I wonder if you can get the same workout with the oar handle.

Okay, so I rowed a 1:38 500m AGAIN today. It was after squats, but not that much volume. I wasn't even winded bad after the 500. I felt like I was pulling as fast as I could though. Any suggestions on breaking this stubborn plateau?

I look at the basic technique like this:

It's a 2 part push/pull---push with the legs, and don't pull with the arms until your legs are totally locked out. Return to the starting position with the arms first, then the knees pop up behind the handle as it passes over top. There's a lot that can go into technique, and I find when I'm pulling right, my legs fade way, way faster than my arms.

I'm a bit boggled at how guys can get fast times without a high damper setting; I flail like no tomorrow on low settings.

I don't know if you can get access to them, but Greg Hammond did some phenomenal instructional video for Crossfit regarding rowing basics. They may be posted on the main Crossfit website.

I did (by accident) leave the damper open, but I don't think it matters much on the old C2s.

I'll look for some technique vids.

I can only bend my knees about 1/3 the way down on the rows otherwise my knees kill me.

The C2 rower is a good piece of equipment but if anyone has access to the Endless Rope machine give it a try it's my new favorite toy and it's brutally effective. The only problem is cost and they won't have any new machines available for a few months but overall I'd pick it over the rower any day.

Man! Thats one cool machine. No way my gym will ever get one of those but they look awesome. Should be a nice grip workout at the same time.

What is the handle on the C2 supposed to look like? All previous rowing machines I have seen just have a handle like a foot long straight stick with the chain attached in the middle.

I work in Baltimore, MD and I went to a gym today where there were 2 C2 rowing machines, but the handles looked like oars. They were about 3 feet long, wood, and the chain was attached to a rope and the rope was attached to the narrow end of the oar.

I've never seen a C2 rower with the oars like you described but I'm sure C2 has a bunch different machines like this one. The rowers everyone here is talking about is like the one you describe in the first paragraph.

The C2 rower is a good piece of equipment but if anyone has access to the Endless Rope machine give it a try it's my new favorite toy and it's brutally effective. The only problem is cost and they won't have any new machines available for a few months but overall I'd pick it over the rower any day.

Why not just climb a rope?

Because you can't vary the resistance, measure the rate of climb or total distance climbed and you have to stop and go back down every so many seconds rather than being able to pull continously. I also don't know too many people who can climb a rope for 3-5 minutes straight but you can use the endless rope to do strength-endurance work. It's more expensive than a rope obviously, but it also offers several advantages as well and the variable resistance and the feedback it provides alone make it worth it.

I can see that rope climber being a lung buster but the price is outrageous.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shawn_bogart
Back