Workout ideas for those who have tired of "weightlifting"

Dude. You're 8 pages into it and you fail to see that most people here are making the point that weightlifting is the only way to get in shape.

And since when does strength and conditioning only mean weightlifting? there are plenty of other forms of resistance training out there. I was curious to see what others did.

Finally, at no point did I say I was against weightlifting. I said I was at a point where I wanted something else. 20 years was a pretty good duration to throw at something.

physiologically, all movement is weight lifting..gravity says so.

The non standard lifts I do currently are: farmer's walks, log presses, and medcine ball shouldering or clean and press (the medicine balls go up to 150lbs at my gym), and sled drags.

A good bet is to include some kind of pull, some kind of squat, and some kind of push, regardless of what type of object it's with. So maybe (1) lifting stones (2) log press (3) squats (you can do squats with odd objects, although I think you'd benefit tremendously from including regular barbell squats, even if that's the only thing you do with a bar. (4) Some kind of carry, like farmer's walks. These are only suggestions, and you can include other lifts in your goals, and set goals for both endurance and strength, and so on.

thanks for playing along. that's all I wanted from the start. Not a critique of my workout goals. It wasn't even mentioned in the initial post.

Just a talk about what kind of oddball shit people train with to get a workout from. Perhaps someone might even have some unusual calisthenic I hadn't see before.

Dude. You're 8 pages into it and you fail to see that most people here are making the point that weightlifting is the only way to get in shape.

And since when does strength and conditioning only mean weightlifting? there are plenty of other forms of resistance training out there. I was curious to see what others did.

Finally, at no point did I say I was against weightlifting. I said I was at a point where I wanted something else. 20 years was a pretty good duration to throw at something.

LISTEN. i could lift a 5 pound brick up and squat it then press it over my head. If i PROGRESSIVLY OVERLOAD that brick, eventually i will be lifting a 300 pound brick. Does that mean im stronger??? YES. and if you disagree get out because your wrong. As long as your increasing reps/weight, you ARE gaining strength. Wheather you only have a 30 pound dumbbell and start out curling it 20 times and now are curling it 60 times, you gain more strength and muscular endurance. Or you started lifting to 30 lb dumbbell for 20 reps and now your hitting the 80lb dumbbells for 20 reps, you gained more strength than muscular endurance, but either way, you are building strength.

people are very unknowledgeable here. Its like people are saying that if you lift anything other than a barbell, you will not get strong. lol

i strongly agree with this. if you want to get better at something, do that something.

not quite 100%. this is why baseball players don't just play baseball. Sometimes you need to supplement your sport of choice with additional training. Like improving my core and back strength helps with climbing.

thanks for playing along. that's all I wanted from the start. Not a critique of my workout goals. It wasn't even mentioned in the initial post.

Just a talk about what kind of oddball shit people train with to get a workout from. Perhaps someone might even have some unusual calisthenic I hadn't see before.

training with different pieces of objects and doing unusual things will give you a different type of strength than what just barbells will do for you.

its like you activate different muscles that your body never uses and it gives you brute strength.

Well you're a seasoned member of the human race, surely you can seperate the normal folk from the mongos by now. Ignore em. Weight (that is iron plates and bars) lifting isn't the only way to get into shape. But you knew that coming in. No need to beat your head against the neverending wall that is the internet. By the time you've convinced someone there are options, there's four more shaking their head in disbelief. They'll fucking out breed you every time.

That said, it's all resistance whether you use a kettlebell, an Indian club, a wrestling partner or hoisting yourself up a vertical wall. We've all got injuries to work around. A long time ago this dude named Bacon invented the scientific method. Experiment and find what works for you. Don't put the onus on others to be creative for you or you'll fail every fucking time.

Well you asked if the workout was good or not, and without goals I don't see how someone could judge that.

If you haven't seen it already Tutorials has some good stuff on calisthenics.

not quite 100%. this is why baseball players don't just play baseball. Sometimes you need to supplement your sport of choice with additional training. Like improving my core and back strength helps with climbing.

understand it will help, but if i had to choose to wrestle 6 days a week and have 1 day off, OR wrestle 3 days a week and lift 3 times, i would easily wrestle. Technique is everything. SURE, strength will help to a point, but ive lost to guys who couldnt even put up 120 bench while i could put up 250. Technique beats strength all the time. But if you have strength and technique with the gas tank never ending. SAY HELLO TO FAMOuS

understand it will help, but if i had to choose to wrestle 6 days a week and have 1 day off, OR wrestle 3 days a week and lift 3 times, i would easily wrestle. Technique is everything. SURE, strength will help to a point, but ive lost to guys who couldnt even put up 120 bench while i could put up 250. Technique beats strength all the time. But if you have strength and technique with the gas tank never ending. SAY HELLO TO FAMOuS

The way I like to think about it is that technique is just how you apply strength.

Imagine that your strength is a cup and your skill/technique level is water. You may have a huge cup, but only a little water. On the other hand, your cup could be full, but since it is a small cup you only have a little bit of water.

That may sound retarded, but the first sentence is really the important part. I can't remember who I heard that from...it could have been Rippetoe. I can't really remember. But it stuck with me.

PRobably already been mentioned, but Ross Enamait does great things with weird shit.

Yeah, but I bet Muscles would murder him in a tennis ball dribbling contest.

[edit] And with this post, I earn my blue belt. [/edit]

The way I like to think about it is that technique is just how you apply strength.

Which is why there is no such thing as functional strenf.

Yeah, but I bet Muscles would murder him in a tennis ball dribbling contest.

[edit] And with this post, I earn my blue belt. [/edit]

You're such a filthy little whore.

If you want a change that is easier on your joints and focuses on getting in great overall shape then try p90x. Its especially good if you are bored with old routines because a lot of the shit you've prolly never seen. They mix that in there with the classic dips, pullups, pushups, etc. You also burn mad calories whether you're doing chest/back or cardiox. They give you the proper stretching, technique, goals, cooldown, etc. You'll be lighter on your feet, more balanced, have more endurance, and feel and look better. You wont do more work in your big 3 lifts but that is a small price to pay if you ask me.

Which is why there is no such thing as functional strenf.

I guess we should have asked "what is it that you would like to be able to do" from the jump.

I am stupid

Imagine that your strength is a cup and your skill/technique level is water. You may have a huge cup, but only a little water. On the other hand, your cup could be full, but since it is a small cup you only have a little bit of water.

That may sound retarded, but the first sentence is really the important part. I can't remember who I heard that from...it could have been Rippetoe. I can't really remember. But it stuck with me.

yes i see what you are saying but i don't think everything revolves around your strength levels as what you are saying. So a guy who is a twig only can hold so much technique/skill?? Thats what you are practically saying. But i understand it. Good theory, but its not 100% fully accurate.

so a guy has a bench squat and deadlift of 100 pounds. He goes into the wrestling room and beats everyone. Does that mean his glass is overflowing?

i think so. There is an overflow effect here.

If you want a change that is easier on your joints and focuses on getting in great overall shape then try p90x. Its especially good if you are bored with old routines because a lot of the shit you've prolly never seen. They mix that in there with the classic dips, pullups, pushups, etc. You also burn mad calories whether you're doing chest/back or cardiox. They give you the proper stretching, technique, goals, cooldown, etc. You'll be lighter on your feet, more balanced, have more endurance, and feel and look better. You wont do more work in your big 3 lifts but that is a small price to pay if you ask me.

1253748724-Cool_story_bro_inc.jpg

Back