Workout ideas for those who have tired of "weightlifting"

Awesome. Muscles is Special Forces now.

There are not enough lulz in the world for this douchebag.

Awesome. Muscles is Special Forces now.

There are not enough lulz in the world for this douchebag.

You know, you're a fucking moron. Have you had anything to contribute to this thread (positive or negative) other than name calling? It goes to show the extent of your mental capacity.

Weren't you doing Crossfit for a while? Have you stopped with that?

Squat, bench, deadlift, OHP.

/thread

I agree that for an S&P discussion, this is indeed /Thread.

For military applications, p90x, crossfit, and gym jones, are used quite extensively. however, for the common man not operating in those environments, you will no doubt see greater gains with those 4 lifts than you will otherwise.

I don't think it really matters if you use bags/rocks/whatever, as long as you try to improve one of these -your time, maximum amount of reps reps, or weight of the bag/rock/whatever that you can lift.

Using a barbell is just easier in my opinion.

Weren't you doing Crossfit for a while? Have you stopped with that?

I took sometime off from my Crossfit class as I wanted to work on trail running. It's summer and it nice to be outside. I also figured the running might help me lose a few pounds which will be helpful in improving my rock climbing.

After adding the running it became an issue of time. I climb at least twice a week. Add a day in for running. That leaves me one day for resistance training. The cost scheduling of the Crossfit class I belonged to made this not make economical sense. So I've taken that remaining day to do some functional resistance training with one of my rock climbing buddies.

I'd imagine once the weather cools to much to train outdoors I'll swing back by the Crossfit class. I've enjoyed working the Olympic lifts the coach focuses on.

I agree that for an S&P discussion, this is indeed /Thread.

For military applications, p90x, crossfit, and gym jones, are used quite extensively. however, for the common man not operating in those environments, you will no doubt see greater gains with those 4 lifts than you will otherwise.

For military applications, well planned training with specific goals in mind, would be superior to p90x, crossfit or gym jones.

There is no way following a unplanned or poorly planned routine, that either lacks goals or has poorly defined goals leads to better results than a well planned routine, based around specific goals.

And if the goal is something general like "strength" or "conditioning", then you just have to figure out how to define it, so you can plan for it and measure it. For example, I want to be generally stronger, but that's vague and nonspecific, so I define strength with certain "bench mark lifts", in my case squat, bench, deadlift, OHP, and weighted chins. This doesn't mean I don't do other exercises, or don't occasionally do lifts just for fun, but it means I can set goals, plan and evaluate my training based on things that are specific or well defined.

For military applications, well planned training with specific goals in mind, would be superior to p90x, crossfit or gym jones.

There is no way following a unplanned or poorly planned routine, that either lacks goals or has poorly defined goals leads to better results than a well planned routine, based around specific goals.

And if the goal is something general like "strength" or "conditioning", then you just have to figure out how to define it, so you can plan for it and measure it. For example, I want to be generally stronger, but that's vague and nonspecific, so I define strength with certain "bench mark lifts", in my case squat, bench, deadlift, OHP, and weighted chins. This doesn't mean I don't do other exercises, or don't occasionally do lifts just for fun, but it means I can set goals, plan and evaluate my training based on things that are specific or well defined.

I don't disagree.
some of the p90x and crossfit work can be scattershot. However, both are still utilized by SOF.

Gym Jones uses goal oriented workouts, and periodization designed to "peak" the athlete. For military applications as it relates to SOF, endurance, BW strength, and general complete fitness are emphasized in workups. These programs almost always include, deadlift, OHP, Squat, Clean and a combination of running, plyo, flexibility, grapple work. If your goal is to condition for variables, then forcing adaptation in training is best practice.

Agreed, it is always ideal to have goal specific workouts, and these workouts will change based on need. My broad stroke about military application was simply a statement on the need to cross-train when operating in an unpredictable environment that requires a multitude of adaptive skills. When the goal IS to adapt, the training must be specifically designed to condition the man for all potential scenarios; often the training looks unspecific. There are many ways to achieve this, some people have just branded and marketed them.

Last edited:
Let me tell you another thing sonny. As you get older your joints start to hurt. The shoulders don't like sitting under the 315 bench anymore.... for that matter, they don't even want to stay under 225 bench. With that said you need to find alternative way to train.

Maybe your doing it wrong.

At Tosa:
So considering the military style goal I posted and I time my runs and keep track of the climbs I can and can't complete, what non-standard lifts would you do? Or are you only familiar with a weighted bar?

Younggunz:
I believe you've verbalized quite well a bunch of things I would have like to said. I have to take a look at this Gym Jones thing. Perhaps there's some work I can borrow from them.

Last edited:
I am also laughing my ass off at rolling around with a 100lb heavy bag.

I have to agree with Tosa that you need a goal to establish a standard of fitness.

For instance, buy one of these, and try stay on it for 3-5 minutes at a time. You can work towards 20-30 transitions during that time..etc... that would be a goal, and it would make you stronger.

dbd6e397-56ec-4179-9346-b6c429dac5df.jpg

At Tosa:
So considering the military style goal I posted and I time my runs and keep track of the climbs I can and can't complete, what non-standard lifts would you do? Or are you only familiar with a weighted bar?

Is there a point you're unsuccessfully trying to make here?

So far, we've learned that you're old, you don't like weights and you want to be like a Navy Seal. If you're saying you don't need weights to get in shape, no one is arguing with you.

Wow 5 pages in and only a few people were able to come up with non- barbell/ dumbbell exercises.

Weight is weight, whether it's a pound of bricks or a pound of iron. Most people here use iron. You don't. That's lovely. Climb a wall, run a trail, who gives a shit. But don't get all condescending when you ask for super special exercises in a room full of dudes who lift weights.

We have one at the climbing gym. I do a boat load of pull ups, crimping exercises, and sloper hangs.

I train my strength on the bouldering problems and endurance on routes. Much more fun than hanging statically on a board.

We have one at the climbing gym. I do a boat load of pull ups, crimping exercises, and sloper hangs.

I train my strength on the bouldering problems and endurance on routes. Much more fun than hanging statically on a board.

well there you go.

Honestly, the only way to get better at climbing is to climb, running to run, squats to squat. Their is no great trick to overall fitness, it just takes a ton of diverse work, with an end game in mind.

The non standard lifts I do currently are: farmer's walks, log presses, and medcine ball shouldering or clean and press (the medicine balls go up to 150lbs at my gym), and sled drags.

A good bet is to include some kind of pull, some kind of squat, and some kind of push, regardless of what type of object it's with. So maybe (1) lifting stones (2) log press (3) squats (you can do squats with odd objects, although I think you'd benefit tremendously from including regular barbell squats, even if that's the only thing you do with a bar. (4) Some kind of carry, like farmer's walks. These are only suggestions, and you can include other lifts in your goals, and set goals for both endurance and strength, and so on.

I am also laughing my ass off at rolling around with a 100lb heavy bag.

why are you laughing your ass off??

i take the heavy bag down, and throw it and do certain movements with it. sooner or later when i get the money, i will be throwing a 200lb heavy bag like nothing. How much do you weigh SIR?

im guessing you are the worse competitor here, because if you really laugh at someone who has been successful with their training methods, maybe you should listen and be open minded. Or read all 8 pages and youd fing out that just weightlifting wont cut it.

IMO

its funny how you post a pointless comment.

Is there a point you're unsuccessfully trying to make here?

So far, we've learned that you're old, you don't like weights and you want to be like a Navy Seal. If you're saying you don't need weights to get in shape, no one is arguing with you.

Weight is weight, whether it's a pound of bricks or a pound of iron. Most people here use iron. You don't. That's lovely. Climb a wall, run a trail, who gives a shit. But don't get all condescending when you ask for super special exercises in a room full of dudes who lift weights.

Dude. You're 8 pages into it and you fail to see that most people here are making the point that weightlifting is the only way to get in shape.

And since when does strength and conditioning only mean weightlifting? there are plenty of other forms of resistance training out there. I was curious to see what others did.

Finally, at no point did I say I was against weightlifting. I said I was at a point where I wanted something else. 20 years was a pretty good duration to throw at something.

well there you go.

Honestly, the only way to get better at climbing is to climb, running to run, squats to squat. Their is no great trick to overall fitness, it just takes a ton of diverse work, with an end game in mind.
i strongly agree with this. if you want to get better at something, do that something.

Back