Workout ideas for those who have tired of "weightlifting"

1. my "fun" stuff is pretending to be rocky and skipping rope lol. To me the fun is always in the cardio/calisthenics, I guess it's the military brat in me. Running an obstacle course is infinitely more fun for me than lifting, so it mountain biking or playing bball.

2. You could try to change up the way that things are done, try doing squats with a heavy bag or the dummy or what have you.

3. Crossfit is a good suggestion for what you're after. Rippetoe likes it, it can't be that bad.

Wow 5 pages in and only a few people were able to come up with non- barbell/ dumbbell exercises.

For the dude who rolls with the 100Lb bag, good for you. I'm sure you're well aware of the strength gains you get by moving something that isn't specifically designed to be lifted.

to the others the suggestions for calisthenics and gymnastics were good ones as well. It's surprising the fierce chest and back workout you can get from a pair of rings.

I have 20 years of weightlifting experience behind me. I've squatted, Clean and press, snatch, dead lift, bench press... yada yada. I can tell you one thing I've learned all of those lifts are great but they are completely different from lifting a cumbersome object.

By all means, keep lifting. It great training. But try adding some other forms of exercise in there. Calisthenics, Gymnastics, and Strongman lifts.

A few other ideas I have for non-weight training are Hammer swings ( circles and figure 8s), Tire throws, and heavy rope jumping

Do you have any interest in learning BJJ, boxing, MMA, etc? I never get completely bored with lifting, but I do switch up my training sometimes as lifting 4 days a week breaks down my body as well as gets a bit old. To me, it's nice to switch to only lifting 2 days a week and doing other conditioning/gpp for a little break - both physical and mental.

Anyways, when I'm not lifting, I typically have the most fun doing heavy bag work. I remember when five 3 min rounds was tough, but I worked up to twelve 3 min rounds. I like doing burpees. Sometimes I mix 3 min burpee rounds in with heavy bag work. I like doing the Bas Rutten cds. I like running. I like doing the conditioning challenges a couple times a month.

The area I would have to disagree with you about is quantifiable progress. I really can't imagine training without trying to improve. Like I said, I started out with five 3 min rounds on the heavy bag. It was hard. I can't imagine just doing five 3 min rounds forever. My goal was to be able to handle more. I always think you should strive to be better - and this doesn't only apply to training.

Last edited:
The quantifiable aspect of training is a bit nebulous for me.

I'd have to say at this point my goal is to be stronger, faster, have better endurance, improved agility, and increased flexibility. All hallmarks of an athlete. I don't feel like chasing numbers to achieve this. I've been training long enough where I can feel the progress or the set backs.

I would train in combative sports if I felt as though my body would handle the contact. I tried BJJ for a short while but that ended up being a bit rough on the joints. ( I was getting tapped out like crazy).

For now Rock climbing fits my needs for an enjoyable pursuit. I do the other stuff to fill in the gaps for a fitness based life style.

As of late trail running has given me a great joy.

Oblivian, we usually don't agree, but I enjoy that you are tempered and logical with your words.

I'd have to say at this point my goal is to be stronger, faster, have better endurance, improved agility, and increased flexibility. All hallmarks of an athlete. I don't feel like chasing numbers to achieve this. I've been training long enough where I can feel the progress or the set backs.

I agree with this. You don't have to have specific goals in order to get stronger, faster, etc. If setting specific goals helps, great, but it isn't a requirement.

If you enjoy rock climbing then do more rock climbing. Try climbing with a weighted vest or do specific exercises that mimic what you do when you climb. Same with trail running. Crossfit does sound a lot like what you are after. When I was looking online for some bodyweight stuff I found a pdf file with like 20 pages of bodyweight routines, good stuff.

P.S. It is nice to hear someone who doesn't think barbell training is the be-all, end-all in here. Differing views makes for good discussion.

Wow 5 pages in and only a few people were able to come up with non- barbell/ dumbbell exercises.

Find a heavy-rock band and be their roadie. Hoisting amps and speaker cabinets the size of washing machines off of trucks and onto stages is fun.

The quantifiable aspect of training is a bit nebulous for me.

I would train in combative sports if I felt as though my body would handle the contact. I tried BJJ for a short while but that ended up being a bit rough on the joints. ( I was getting tapped out like crazy).

For now Rock climbing fits my needs for an enjoyable pursuit. I do the other stuff to fill in the gaps for a fitness based life style.

As of late trail running has given me a great joy.

Oblivian, we usually don't agree, but I enjoy that you are tempered and logical with your words.

BJJ/MMA was definitely rough on my body as well. Heavy bag work is a bit different. If you get a chance, give it a shot. It's fun and you can learn on your own.

I do sympathize with your point regarding training without a goal somewhat. I don't really have any desire of competing or anything. I lift because it's fun, plain and simple. However, half of the fun is the measurable progress IMO. I guess I hit a point with heavy bag work where I was doing the same thing and I was still having a blast, but that was only 1-2 days a week.

Anyways, those are my suggestions. Have you ever thought about strongman style training as well? Again, it's lifting, but not the standard barbell lifting.

most of the responses in this thread make me miss the conditioning subforum.
the name of the merged subforum could also be 5x5-barbell-forum.

If you enjoy rock climbing then do more rock climbing. Try climbing with a weighted vest or do specific exercises that mimic what you do when you climb. Same with trail running. Crossfit does sound a lot like what you are after. When I was looking online for some bodyweight stuff I found a pdf file with like 20 pages of bodyweight routines, good stuff.

P.S. It is nice to hear someone who doesn't think barbell training is the be-all, end-all in here. Differing views makes for good discussion.

something to note about climbing in a weighted vest. You put a tremendous amount of stress on your finger tendons when you climb. I'm at the point where most of the climbs I work on have tiny crimp holds. I wouldn't want to risk blowing out a tendon by adding extra weight. I do run laps up the 5.8s to get some endurance training in.

most of the responses in this thread make me miss the conditioning subforum.
the name of the merged subforum could also be 5x5-barbell-forum.

Word.

I have thinking like Oblivian.
I somehow ended up doing a lot resistance work to get stronger because I regulary spar wit guys 20-30kg heavier than me. Some of them are real brawlers, so I learned faster. Fire under my feet.

To ts: I found that strenght programs are good in many ways, but if the main goal is general fitness then I guess swiming alone is better. Also running, bike and bagwork.
I think people chasing numbers often lose ther bigger vision field.

Based on Oblivian's suggestion, here's a work out I would run:

Tabata heavy bag strikes, to burpees, to heavy rope jumping. total of 12 min.

a couple of wind sprints.

add in some toes to bar hanging leg raises

and perhaps some reaction ball work or tennis ball dribbling for skill

Backpacking is fun. Put a 50lb backpack on and walk over a mountain. Multipeak loops are the best. The downhills stretches are hard on the knees and hips but if you keep it to around 6-7miles a day (+elevation) its not bad. Not really a workout in the typical sense but it definitely carried over to how much energy I had for my workouts the following week.

Backpacking is fun. Put a 50lb backpack on and walk over a mountain. Multipeak loops are the best. The downhills stretches are hard on the knees and hips but if you keep it to around 6-7miles a day (+elevation) its not bad. Not really a workout in the typical sense but it definitely carried over to how much energy I had for my workouts the following week.

This is my other pastime. I've been hiking much of the lower Hudson valley where you can go up and down 2000 ft several times in a day. I've also hiked a considerable portion of the Long Trail in the Green Mountains of Vermont.

I'm not sure what my pack weighs. Figure it's got 3 L of water, 2 bombers of beer, a sandwich and a bunch of other junk.

I figure the 12 miles I kick entitles me to the beer I carry. (shared with friends)

The walking poles are a great way to incorporate the upper body. Plus they help take some of the load off your knees

For the dude who rolls with the 100Lb bag, good for you. I'm sure you're well aware of the strength gains you get by moving something that isn't specifically designed to be lifted.

to the others the suggestions for calisthenics and gymnastics were good ones as well. It's surprising the fierce chest and back workout you can get from a pair of rings.

I have 20 years of weightlifting experience behind me. I've squatted, Clean and press, snatch, dead lift, bench press... yada yada. I can tell you one thing I've learned all of those lifts are great but they are completely different from lifting a cumbersome object.

By all means, keep lifting. It great training. But try adding some other forms of exercise in there. Calisthenics, Gymnastics, and Strongman lifts.

A few other ideas I have for non-weight training are Hammer swings ( circles and figure 8s), Tire throws, and heavy rope jumping

YO, it is not that i have seen strength gains in LIFTING per say. But i have seen more functional strength. If you read my post again, you will see that it helps for a grappling standpoint more than lifting ever will do. I know that Karo Parisian has had so good throws because he threw bodies around his whole life. So i choose a heavybag because i can throw that around at my time without asking someone who would never want to do that.

So i would say lifting heavy 2 times a week. While Doing heavy bag workouts and throwing in some power cleans and kettlebell training for explosiveness. Thats just what i believe is the perfect way of going at it.:icon_twis

Hey enright3060.....Im confused, should we have goals?

And TS, you should try the p90x. If you follow it it'd be impossible not get in awesome shape.

And TS, you should try the p90x. If you follow it it'd be impossible not get in awesome shape.

Whitebelts with a gimmick account should not troll.

While I'm not entirely familiar with PX90 I wouldn't entirely knock it. I'm sure there are exercises and/ or principles you can take from it that would benefit your workout routine.

You should think like Bruce Lee with his Jeet kune do system. Take what works from any source and throw away what doesn't.

I haven't discarded standard weightlifting. But I am at the point where I am searching for alternatives. I think you'd be surprised at the options that are out there and the results you could achieve.

However a was expecting more positive answers than the negative push back I have received.

Whitebelts with a gimmick account should not troll.

944376.jpg

I've thought long and hard about what would be the best way to verbalize what I would like to achieve with my training;

Consider this; special forces training, where you have to lug heavy equipment and packs over challenging terrain. Figure you might need to hustle a couple miles to meet a rendezvous point or you might have to carry a buddy out of a hot spot. Also you'd like to be able to gut the enemy from pelvis to sternum in one stroke.

Back