Workout ideas for those who have tired of "weightlifting"

lon_downhill.jpg

E Tu Brute?

One of the few guys here who actually does conditioning training. I was expecting something else from you.

E Tu Brute?

One of the few guys here who actually does conditioning training. I was expecting something else from you.

Lighten up a bit. I was just making a joke. It wasn't a stab at you personally.

Lighten up a bit. I was just making a joke. It wasn't a stab at you personally.

No real offense was ever taken. It's the internet.

What's your thoughts on Hindu Push-ups? I've added them into to my calisthenic chest routine. They seem to hit a wide range of muscles in the chest and shoulders.
Here's the work out I have scheduled for later this week:
10 handstand push ups
20 dips
30 hindu push ups
40 push ups

2 to 3 rounds depending on how beat I am from bouldering.

Calisthenics: Anything from the rocky movies,
Weighted Calisthenics: add weight vest, back pack, ankle, wrist weights, dip belt, squat belt
Plyometric Calisthenics: w/ o w/o weight vest/back pack
Sprints: any track, up/down hills (caution), suicides, stairs (up only)
Weighted Cardio: Stairs are my favorite. You can also hike or try trail running with a weight vest/back pack.
Sports: something that gets your heart going whether it be aerobic or anaerobic.

I was never into the bodyweight exercises or really obscure shit. It's not that I was against it, but I just never thought of it as a necessity. IMO, if you want to get strong, the most efficient way will be barbell training. If you want to improve aerobic conditioning, run long distances. If you want to do anaerobic conditioning, do HIIT training. I have always kept it somewhat simple, as it's my opinion that doing obscure things isn't quite as efficient. Again, I'm not against it and understand it may be fun for a change of pace, but I always had a good time with the basics.

I love the constant challenges by the conditioning dude.

One thing that I don't think was covered in this thread, is a pretty profound concept about body-weight training, in general. It's a pretty powerful tool, in that it can be used to exercise any parameter of strength, be it maximal strength, explosive strength, speed strength, or strength endurance, basically anytime, and any place. You are totally self-sufficient.

However, to be able to really amp up any sort of maximal strength training, using your own bodyweight, after a short while, a great deal of focus and discipline is required to even be able to execute the movements.

If you ask me, I think that's a small trade-off, being that any sort of acheivment with any tool would require a great deal of focus.

Weaklings? You serious? at 165lb and 44. I still bench 275, i'll squat 275 lbs ( i stay light on this one to avoid injury) and deadlift 365. I've also done 30 clean and press with 135 in 5 min. You can check my numbers at Bravo Crossfit under James not James C.

Care to take me on in a push-up or pull-up challenge? How about a 5 mile trail run?

I'm not the strongest guy out there but I do okay. Really, strength and conditioning is more than just barbell and dumbbell lifts. And I think you'll find training with awkward loads is is quite practical for real life applications. I glad to see a few people out there find some interesting things to do.

I have trained with only barbells before and they make my cardio so WEAK. so you cant do just one or the other. Sure if you have a long wait until you have to get ready for competition, focus on weightlifting, because cardio will limit you MAX strength gains but if you just lift, its not a good idea. Its very hard to be in the best shape while maintaining max cardio and max technique. you know?

Thats why i like to do this. say if a competition is within 8 weeks

1-3 weeks.
heavy weight training (1-3 reps)
Medium intense cardio
Maximum technique training

4-6 weeks
Medium heavy weight training (5-7 reps)
Maximum cardio
Maximum technique training

7th week
Light weight training (10-15 reps. muscle endurance)
Maximum cardio
maximum technique training

8th week
Light Light weight training (12-15 reps. only would train once this week)
PEAK CARDIO (peak cardio at Wednesday for a Saturday fight)
Technique training - - - (Begging of week=very intense. lots of hours. mostly reviewing the game plan though so when i go in their i know what im going to do.)

EDIT: I GOT MY ORANGE BELT! hell yea!

One thing that I don't think was covered in this thread, is a pretty profound concept about body-weight training, in general. It's a pretty powerful tool, in that it can be used to exercise any parameter of strength, be it maximal strength, explosive strength, speed strength, or strength endurance, basically anytime, and any place. You are totally self-sufficient.

However, to be able to really amp up any sort of maximal strength training, using your own bodyweight, after a short while, a great deal of focus and discipline is required to even be able to execute the movements.

If you ask me, I think that's a small trade-off, being that any sort of acheivment with any tool would require a great deal of focus.

I'm not knocking BW stuff, I think it can have its uses. But if you want to get a strong bench, pushups can only help so much. You could have people sit on your back and do all sorts of other stuff, but at that point it might be better to get a bar.

If I had to do BW stuff, I would start curling cats for sure. There are a couple of wild puerto rican cats out there, I could curl them to get strong. And since they would be scratching and biting, I'm building up pain tolerance for punching... see other thread. Win/Win.

I'm not knocking BW stuff, I think it can have its uses. But if you want to get a strong bench, pushups can only help so much. You could have people sit on your back and do all sorts of other stuff, but at that point it might be better to get a bar.

If I had to do BW stuff, I would start curling cats for sure. There are a couple of wild puerto rican cats out there, I could curl them to get strong. And since they would be scratching and biting, I'm building up pain tolerance for punching... see other thread. Win/Win.

And I am most certainly not saying 'bw>barbell.' However, of course, if you want to increase your bench, you must bench. If you wish to have a strong push, I don't think that if you don't bench, that that's it, game over.

I gained a bunch of weight doing barbell stuff. I went from 180 to 215(a healthy bodyweight for me) using rippetoe and bill-starr. However, now that I weigh 215(probably down to 205-210 for my summer weight), I have a lot of weight that I can use to build strength. Planche pushups, front lever pullups, HSPU's, one-arm pushups, etc, provide plenty of room for progression for maximal strength. While rosstraining stuff seems like it could be used to develop basically any other parameter of strength. However, like I said, these more advanced maneuvers take much time to even be able to do one rep.

Also, make hand shin hang bang yes.

^ How the hell did we make it 8 pages without mentioning teh hang bang?

MM, if you haven't tried hang banging, GET ON IT!!!

Hang Banging?.... I'm afraid to google that at work.

Oh, what a glorious thread that is.

Weaklings? You serious? at 165lb and 44. I still bench 275, i'll squat 275 lbs ( i stay light on this one to avoid injury) and deadlift 365. I've also done 30 clean and press with 135 in 5 min. You can check my numbers at Bravo Crossfit under James not James C.

Care to take me on in a push-up or pull-up challenge? How about a 5 mile trail run?

I'm not the strongest guy out there but I do okay. Really, strength and conditioning is more than just barbell and dumbbell lifts. And I think you'll find training with awkward loads is is quite practical for real life applications. I glad to see a few people out there find some interesting things to do.

I

Back