Why is Golf so big and widley covered by espn?

when you guys can shoot a 15 above par on an 18 hole course, then I will give you some credability with the subject. But i dont think any of you can get that, let alone -15, -20. Even with a year of traning, I dont think any of you could get to +10. If you guys want to know how good tiger is, just look at how other ATHLETES respect him and admire his skills. Not people who post on sherdog.
I dont get this post,chess is way harder to master than golf,you could spend your whole life trying to master it but that dosent make it a sport.how much pyhsical activty is done in golf? not fucking much,how many calories do is burn playing 18 holes of golf ?the walking around from hole to hole is the most pyhsical part of it and that aint to hard if a fat ass drunk john daily can walk it,golf is hard and your right most of us here would never be half as good as tiger but that would have nothing to do with athletics its a pure skill sport.

I'm sick of every single sport getting more coverage than boxing,its not right.March had a shit load of good fights and they were lucky to get a 60 second spot on sports center.What does golf do ? does it unite a whole county like pacman or joe louis ? the awnser to that is fuck no,no golfer should ever be put on a tough athlete list ......I mean never ever in less they have a combat golf league.

golf is a snotty ass richy rich ***got sport that takes up to much space.Golfers are very skilled people not athletes.

Spelling Bees.. Cheerleading competitions... Give me a fucking break ESPN.

Spelling Bees are great. When you see a kid miss a word and the sheer agony on there faces is Prime Time TV!

There is some hot pieces of ass shaking it on Cheerleading comps as well, and I did see a bitch miss a landing and knocked her teeth out!

Ok it's sucks mostly.

Spelling Bees are great. When you see a kid miss a word and the sheer agony on there faces is Prime Time TV!

There is some hot pieces of ass shaking it on Cheerleading comps as well, and I did see a bitch miss a landing and knocked her teeth out!

Ok it's sucks mostly.

let's not forget about that kid koing himself during that one spelling bee.

I think because of the Tiger factor.

I liken it to the same focus (popularity) boxing attained in the 80s/90s due to Tyson.

A young exciting fighter dominating the sport.

It's exciting to watch someone be so good at something.

Though for me, (like watching Tyson over time) it became irritating... KO'ing everyone in 1 round.

You wanted to see him in a somewhat competive fight. See what he's made of.

Same with Woods.... winning by 10 strokes going into the last round... why bother even watching the last round.

I want to see it go down to the wire....back and forth...Ali Frazier...

There just isn't a Frazier in golf yet.

Golf was been a huge sport, long before Tiger came along.

I dont get this post,chess is way harder to master than golf,you could spend your whole life trying to master it but that dosent make it a sport.how much pyhsical activty is done in golf? not fucking much,how many calories do is burn playing 18 holes of golf ?the walking around from hole to hole is the most pyhsical part of it and that aint to hard if a fat ass drunk john daily can walk it,golf is hard and your right most of us here would never be half as good as tiger but that would have nothing to do with athletics its a pure skill sport.

I'm sick of every single sport getting more coverage than boxing,its not right.March had a shit load of good fights and they were lucky to get a 60 second spot on sports center.What does golf do ? does it unite a whole county like pacman or joe louis ? the awnser to that is fuck no,no golfer should ever be put on a tough athlete list ......I mean never ever in less they have a combat golf league.

golf is a snotty ass richy rich ***got sport that takes up to much space.Golfers are very skilled people not athletes.

This article may help to bring the situation a little more into perspective.

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?page=factfiction/week10

This article may help to bring the situation a little more into perspective.

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?page=factfiction/week10

that article doesent clear up anything. one reason why tiger gets so much praise for being the most dominant athlete on the planet is because golf gets alot of mainstream media attention on this continent. in reality, roger federer is more dominant then tiger. how come boxers never get any praise? why not floyd mayweather? he has just about every athletic quality one can think off and he's just as dominant as any other compeitor in their field. you know why, because the media is biased, and they pick and choose who and what they want in the spotlight. if your'e not american and not playing in a sport that's deemed worthy by espn or sports illustrated, then you don't matter.

Yeah, cos golf balls are all controlled with radio.

You hit a golf ball with a stick. You don't physicaly move it with your own two hands. Do you honestly think people who have to condition the shit out of thereselfs, and strengthen there body's to an insane level are not more athletic then those fat, out of shape babyboomers that comprise about 90% of the people who play golf? This is not even comparable.

john daly was, drunk and addicted to food and still making millions of dollars as one of the top pros in the game. in no other sport can you abuse yourself the way john daly did and still be on top of your game.

well it disgusts me when I see tiger woods walk away with millions and tons of awards and media attention for playing a ***gy game were the "athlete" are at best very average even tiger himself is average in terms of athletic abiity

The fact that it disgusts you makes me think you really need to get a life. First off, it is considered a sport because of how difficult the sport is. There is a reason only 140 players make the start of a tournament.

Second, I don't thin they actually mean Tiger is "tough" as in he could beat someone up. He is mentally tough. Imagine coming down the last 4 holes of August with a 1 shot lead and one tiny mistake can cost you a million dollars and the tournament. How many people could handle that pressure and win?

I think you need to take a deep breath and relax here. Warren Buffett has no atheltic ability and is the weathiest man in the world. Does that disgust you as well?

well, my post before this had the definition of sport, which is a test of physical prowess OR a physical skill or some sort. I believe you guys doing having 60+ (the +15 was nice, u guys would be like +50) more stroke than tiger on a 18 hole course shows it takes a considerable ammount of skill.

as i said, i dont watch golf, but that is because I dont play it. I only watch things I play because to understand a game like golf, you need to know how hard little things are like getting out of a sanddune plus making it to the green in one shot. Just like MMA fans dont know little things about boxing. hippocrites.

Golf IMO is more like an interactive board game, I am not saying that it does no take skill, hard work and dedication.

However as far as physical activity it is on par with playing guitar (which I love) but would not consider it a sport.

No professional football in the olympics so guess its not a sport...

Football isn't an Olympic sport because it's only played in the United States and a couple other places. The International Olympics Committee won't consider a sport for admission unless it's played in some minimum number of countries, I don't remember the specific number but it's something like 20 or 25 countries. Football falls way short.

let me ask something. Do you guys that think golf isnt a sport, do you consider tom brady, bret farve, payton manning and other quarter backs athletes?

The fact that it disgusts you makes me think you really need to get a life. First off, it is considered a sport because of how difficult the sport is. There is a reason only 140 players make the start of a tournament.

Second, I don't thin they actually mean Tiger is "tough" as in he could beat someone up. He is mentally tough. Imagine coming down the last 4 holes of August with a 1 shot lead and one tiny mistake can cost you a million dollars and the tournament. How many people could handle that pressure and win?

I think you need to take a deep breath and relax here. Warren Buffett has no atheltic ability and is the weathiest man in the world. Does that disgust you as well?

1.I already stated golf was hard and so is pro bowling,these 2 "sports" require little athletisim

2.I think I understand what they meant ,your insulting my intelligence,Pressure ? how about going into the 12th round with your nose broken in a close fight for a world title?,whats as stake ?millions of dollars,a world title,your legacy in life,alot of times your whole career and lively hood,your familys well being, but your right thats nothing campared to the pressure golf brings to the table

3.I'm not mad at people becasue their rich,I live well and eat good and make decent money but the money tiger makes is silly.

Back