Why is Golf so big and widley covered by espn?

It's for sure these days one of the biggest rip-offs in sports to play.

Well, at least golf takes some degree of physical coordination, so call it second-order athleticism.

But all this WSOP poker ESPN has been showing, what the hell is that? A bunch of out-of-shape people in visors sitting around a table playing games? That's not a sport -- that's Aunt Rose at her Mahjong party.

I hate how fucking spoiled golfers are.

In baseball you got a guy throwing a ball 100 MPH in front of 50,000 screaming fans.

In golf, you got a guy, hitting a stationary object, and cry like a bitch if there's a peep out of anyone in the crowd.

Fuck you you babied golfers!

Revolution is in the air in this thread.

Revolution is in the air in this thread.

Id love to get an organized boxing fan attack on the media- mostly espn and SI and just barrage them with questions about burying the sport despite its ppv success. if a bunch of boxing message boards jumped in.

cause what else would have an impact at this point? except a white, american mike tyson part 2

It's all Tiger.

When possibly the best ever in any sport is at the top of his game there will be a lot of interest.

It's all Tiger.
When possibly the best ever in any sport is at the top of his game there will be a lot of interest.

I've read that TV ratings for golf are pretty much a function of whether Tiger's competing. If he sits out a tournament the ratings are half or less what they'd be if he were playing.

I've read that TV ratings for golf are pretty much a function of whether Tiger's competing. If he sits out a tournament the ratings are half or less what they'd be if he were playing.

I don't have the numbers but I'm sure that's true.

Golf gets huge respect from me, simply because there has been no sport that I've tried to play that I've spent plenty of money on...and got nothing but a bunch of shitty scorecards, sunburn, a thousand lost balls and a handful of fines from the clubhouse for swearing, playing slow and not replacing divets.

sounds like my golf game.

In Korea playing starcraft is a sport so golf ain't that bad.

It's all about money and getting big advertisers to buy the ad time during golf. If ESPN has golf on, they can charge a higher ad rate than if they're airing World's Strongest Man or whatever.

It's all about money and getting big advertisers to buy the ad time during golf. If ESPN has golf on, they can charge a higher ad rate than if they're airing World's Strongest Man or whatever.

qft...the retired community keeps golf alive. during the week and on the weekends fuggetaboutit

Well, at least golf takes some degree of physical coordination, so call it second-order athleticism.

But all this WSOP poker ESPN has been showing, what the hell is that? A bunch of out-of-shape people in visors sitting around a table playing games? That's not a sport -- that's Aunt Rose at her Mahjong party.

Agreed. Fuck poker.

I guess you have to consider golf a sport.

Especially when it's possible to win an Olympic gold medal for something like curling.

when you guys can shoot a 15 above par on an 18 hole course, then I will give you some credability with the subject. But i dont think any of you can get that, let alone -15, -20. Even with a year of traning, I dont think any of you could get to +10. If you guys want to know how good tiger is, just look at how other ATHLETES respect him and admire his skills. Not people who post on sherdog.

Yea but curling actualy takes athleticism. Your actualy physicaly moving something by your own power.

Yeah, cos golf balls are all controlled with radio.

Back