Why is Golf so big and widley covered by espn?

let me ask something. Do you guys that think golf isnt a sport, do you consider tom brady, bret farve, payton manning and other quarter backs athletes?
Thats not a good example,all those guys are strong and are athletic,they move,jump,throw and take hits and you have to have good cordination and a strong arm and the spot light is on you.besides you have total beasts running at you that are exstreme athletes.

Thats not a good example,all those guys are strong and are athletic,they move,jump,throw and take hits and you have to have good cordination and a strong arm and the spot light is on you.besides you have total beasts running at you that are exstreme athletes.

wow, just the response I wanted, how awesome.

how often does the QBs i mention run much? Seems they hike a ball, catch it, throw it, possibly get hit, recovering from that is more mental than physical, as the biggest part is getting composure back and making the next play. repeat 4 times, then they sit/stand on the sidelines for another 10minutes of commercials and plays. hrmm.. mental composure is what makes great QBs, it also makes great golf players!

and your recognizing coordination and a strong arm as their assests. Well, it seems golf takes more coordination. Is throwing a ball any different than hitting one with a club? Uses the same type of mechanics and probably them same number of muscles/muscle groups.

I dont see many QBs doing super athletic jumps all too often either.

QBs are the highest paid athletes in football, they dont seem more athletic than tiger woods, they highest paid golfer. hurr

1.I already stated golf was hard and so is pro bowling,these 2 "sports" require little athletisim

2.I think I understand what they meant ,your insulting my intelligence,Pressure ? how about going into the 12th round with your nose broken in a close fight for a world title?,whats as stake ?millions of dollars,a world title,your legacy in life,alot of times your whole career and lively hood,your familys well being, but your right thats nothing campared to the pressure golf brings to the table

3.I'm not mad at people becasue their rich,I live well and eat good and make decent money but the money tiger makes is silly.

1: bowling takes a lot of coordination too. Plus, top bowlers dont make all that much, and it gets less airtime than boxing for the most part.

2: noone is saying boxers arent athletes.

3: you shouldnt watch sports at all, as they all get paid ridiculous ammounts. You also shouldnt watch tv or movies, since actors make a lot. You shouldnt shop, because coorporate execs makes a shitload for sitting in a chair

wow, just the response I wanted, how awesome.

how often does the QBs i mention run much? Seems they hike a ball, catch it, throw it, possibly get hit, recovering from that is more mental than physical, as the biggest part is getting composure back and making the next play. repeat 4 times, then they sit/stand on the sidelines for another 10minutes of commercials and plays. hrmm.. mental composure is what makes great QBs, it also makes great golf players!

and your recognizing coordination and a strong arm as their assests. Well, it seems golf takes more coordination. Is throwing a ball any different than hitting one with a club? Uses the same type of mechanics and probably them same number of muscles/muscle groups.

I dont see many QBs doing super athletic jumps all too often either.

QBs are the highest paid athletes in football, they dont seem more athletic than tiger woods, they highest paid golfer. hurr
Have you played football? saying golf is on par with a nfl QB is just retarded.they move their feet and do make athletic plays,eli manning in the super bowl displayed far more athletism than tiger ever has or will.micheal vick when he wasent killing dogs was quite athletic.

1: bowling takes a lot of coordination too. Plus, top bowlers dont make all that much, and it gets less airtime than boxing for the most part.

2: noone is saying boxers arent athletes.

3: you shouldnt watch sports at all, as they all get paid ridiculous ammounts. You also shouldnt watch tv or movies, since actors make a lot. You shouldnt shop, because coorporate execs makes a shitload for sitting in a chair
football,baseball,basketball,boxing deserve to get paid better than golf,plus this is of topic how much money people make dosent really bug me that much.

Have you played football? saying golf is on par with a nfl QB is just retarded.they move their feet and do make athletic plays,eli manning in the super bowl displayed far more athletism than tiger ever has or will.micheal vick when he wasent killing dogs was quite athletic.

NFL QB might be the hardest position in sports. NBA point guard is up there as well.

where the hell did Eli find that magic...my god.

football,baseball,basketball,boxing deserve to get paid better than golf,plus this is of topic how much money people make dosent really bug me that much.

now here is where we can pick on ESPN.

hmm, i never said it was on par with football. In fact, I mentioned quarter backs (the highest paid in football) for that reason. I was highlighting that what makes a great quarterback, makes a great golfer. Great technique (skill) and mental composition, which is more important to an athlete than anything else.

and your comment about eli showing more athletism than tiger ever has is just bullshit. In sport psychology (half of my major), they say the best athlete is a consistant one. Tiger is 100x more consistant than Eli. Anyone can be in the zone for one performance. Would you say buster douglas is a better athlete than mike tyson?

you are acting like throwing a football is a bajillion times harder than accurately driving a golfball 350 yards, then putting it 40 feet. You say it doesnt take physical ability, but it takes physical ability to control your body to that degree. Moreover, I'd like to see Eli manning drive a ball 400 yards. Does that mean he is weaker than tiger woods?

hmm, i never said it was on par with football. In fact, I mentioned quarter backs (the highest paid in football) for that reason. I was highlighting that what makes a great quarterback, makes a great golfer. Great technique (skill) and mental composition, which is more important to an athlete than anything else.

and your comment about eli showing more athletism than tiger ever has is just bullshit. In sport psychology (half of my major), they say the best athlete is a consistant one. Tiger is 100x more consistant than Eli. Anyone can be in the zone for one performance. Would you say buster douglas is a better athlete than mike tyson?

you are acting like throwing a football is a bajillion times harder than accurately driving a golfball 350 yards, then putting it 40 feet. You say it doesnt take physical ability, but it takes physical ability to control your body to that degree. Moreover, I'd like to see Eli manning drive a ball 400 yards. Does that mean he is weaker than tiger woods?

manning is more athletic than woods and consistantly too,he is bigger faster stronger and skill and ability are 2 different things and winning a super bowl takes more pysical ability than playing golf,does tiger woods go thru the pain and injurys like the rest of the sports world? ok here is my point tiger cant do anyting better than eli manning besides swing a golf club and eli dosent have an elite level athletic abilty cardio,strenth,speed. here is tigers best competiton wow what a pysical specimen

I can shoot +15 for 18 holes :)

I thought the original point of this thread was why Golf was was so widely covered on espn.

When you play a sport you are far more likely to want to watch the best in the world play it.

A huge number of people play golf now.

Tiger Woods is probably the greatest golfer to have ever lived and is an american.

Some people who don't even play golf want to see what the best is doing.

Tennis isn't as popular in the United States because Roger Federer is not and american.

Unfortunately there are a lot of reasons that boxing isn't as popular as golf. A few would be Mike Tyson, the lack of a good american heavyweight, and Floyd Mayweather just isn't a likeable guy.

I can shoot +15 for 18 holes :)

I thought the original point of this thread was why Golf was was so widely covered on espn.

I think you are responding to me with the +15 comment. I agree that it was the thread name, but in the first post, it was said that golfers arent athletes or athletic.

For the record, I agree boxing needs more tv time, but golf doesnt have all that much compared to other big sports when those respected sports are in season. I ONLY watch boxing, in fact, that is the only tv I watch besides the occasional history channel show or national geographic show, or if i am drunk and trying to passout.

Then I see the same guy defend football, but then i see football have a shitload of pregame shows, post game shows, and a shitload of commercials (new rules to allow more commercials).

moreover, some people dont know what really makes a great athlete, or what the definition of sport is and proceed to say they think it takes the most physically fit people ot be on espn.

You hit a golf ball with a stick. You don't physicaly move it with your own two hands. Do you honestly think people who have to condition the shit out of thereselfs, and strengthen there body's to an insane level are not more athletic then those fat, out of shape babyboomers that comprise about 90% of the people who play golf? This is not even comparable.

You made the comparison in regards to curling. How does any of that apply to a bunch of unemployed men and women from Canada?

"Golf, the best way to spoil a good walk"-Winston Churchill

You made the comparison in regards to curling. How does any of that apply to a bunch of unemployed men and women from Canada?

It's simple. Bottom line is... Golf is not an athletes sport. There is nothing physical about it. You can be in horrible shape and still be great at it. The fact that Tiger woods is a buff looking guy has nothing to with why he's winning. And it doesn't make him a great athlete. That right there tell's you it's not even comparable to a physical athletes sport. Do you think in any elite physical sport you could be out of shape and still be in the top? To be the best athlete in the world, you've got to compete angainst other great athletes. There are none of these in golf, because it's not needed to win.

It's simple. Bottom line is... Golf is not an athletes sport. There is nothing physical about it.

Ok, boss. If you say so.

Again, none of that wasted rhetoric explains a single thing about your comparison with curling.

Ok, boss. If you say so.

Again, none of that wasted rhetoric explains a single thing about your comparison with curling.

the difference is that a 70 year old man cant bend down that low, while at the same maintaining balance on one foot while sliding down the length of the ice without tipping over and possibly busting a hip or aggravating his arthritic knees....but he can sure swing that club and make a nice put. golf is not athletic....two words...JOHN DALY.

Bending over is an athletic skill now, yet swimging a golf club isn't? I guess every fatass housewife across the globe is cheering right now, because they've just earned the right to be called an athlete.

The day 70 year olds become the standard bearers for what is and isn't an athlete, the argument has run its course.

Back