Why do people get tattoos?

Government brainwash people to get them so they are identifiable

I (sort of) wanted a tattoo when I was young and immature(late teens, early twenties). But I was never motivated enough to actually go out and do it.

I'm in my thirties now and really quite glad I didn't do it. I don't even wear the same kind of clothes or the same hair as I did back then, so the last thing I need is to have to explain to people how "cool" my tattoo is or what a "deep" meaning it has, as if I had any depth or wisdom at the ripe old age of 20.

I don't have any but the reason people do it is because its a fad, everyone and their grandma has tattoos nowadays. Back in the day the only people that had them wee bikers, convicts, and navy guys. People want to fit in with a trend, and they think they look cool. Sleeves are the worst, everything just mixes together and looks like crap.

Got mine 20+ years ago. Left shoulder, right arm and shoulder, and a decent sized one in the center of my back. The sun, beach, etc have them showing their age. Been thinking about getting the ones on my arms covered with some new ink. Contrary to what some here are posting I don't really care what others think about my ink. If you like them... Cool. If you think I look stupid... More power to you. I have a great job, an amazing wife, and two boys that are incredible. Thats what matters to me.... Not some strangers thoughts about me.

You should get a tattoo of Kermit the frog ya muppet.

trjg_037_large.JPG

This type of body mod has been around for literally thousands of years and you idiots are talking about fads.

My Poppa had a tattoo. He was born in 1927, got it in his early 20s. My stepfather has a tattoo, born in 1954.

It's not a fad just because more people have access to it. More people dye their hair now than 50 years ago because of accessibility. About 5000000% more people get breast implants than 50 years ago because of accessibility.

In summary, idiots shut up.

Myself I couldn't care less what other people have on their bodies. If they want to get tatted from head to toe then that's their own business.

I have no tattoos myself not because I'm against them, just that theres never been anything I thought I absolutely needed that put on my body for the rest of my life.

So much self righteous stupidity in this thread..ex."I'm making a statement by NOT getting a tattoo!"...um, no dumbass you're simply not getting a tattoo..why is this thread still going anyway, the same shit just keeps repeating page after page.

So much self righteous stupidity in this thread..ex."I'm making a statement by NOT getting a tattoo!"...um, no dumbass you're simply not getting a tattoo..why is this thread still going anyway, the same shit just keeps repeating page after page.

Why are you raging?

i think they look cool

i couldnt care less what people think of the way i look, they should have better things to worry about

Of course you care, that much is obvious. People don't 'worry' about how you look. They just know how good at decisions you are before you've met/been introduced.

Of course you care, that much is obvious. People don't 'worry' about how you look. They just know how good at decisions you are before you've met/been introduced.

lol good response.

If you get a tattoo, you're telling people more about yourself than you probably should, or at least more than you intended.

This type of body mod has been around for literally thousands of years and you idiots are talking about fads.

My Poppa had a tattoo. He was born in 1927, got it in his early 20s. My stepfather has a tattoo, born in 1954.

It's not a fad just because more people have access to it. More people dye their hair now than 50 years ago because of accessibility. About 5000000% more people get breast implants than 50 years ago because of accessibility.

In summary, idiots shut up.

"Accessibility?" I guess cigarettes were much more accessible in the 50s and 60s and that is why fewer Americans smoke than ever before. Or alcohol use spiked higher during prohibition.

Hmm, could it be changes to tobacco advertising and a concerted effort to alter people's perceptions of smoking that resulted in tobacco decline?

It has little to do with accessibility, as marketing and visibility are what drove accessibility. Thousands of new tattoo shops didn't just appear without a market to support them.

It's the glamorization and mainstream visibility of tattoos that has increased their popularity.

In summary, you're the idiot.

Tattoo owners are so rustled in this thread. No cares I promise.

Tattoo's are common enough at this point that unless you have face or gang tattoos I don't think it's going to severely alter your job prospects.

lol good response.

If you get a tattoo, you're telling people more about yourself than you probably should, or at least more than you intended.

I stand out, and a lot of people have negative or false ideas of me and I'm perfectly fine with that. I live freely, I'd rather someone know from the start. Makes things much easier in my opinion.

"Accessibility?" I guess cigarettes were much more accessible in the 50s and 60s and that is why fewer Americans smoke than ever before. Or alcohol use spiked higher during prohibition.

Hmm, could it be changes to tobacco advertising and a concerted effort to alter people's perceptions of smoking that resulted in tobacco decline?

It has little to do with accessibility, as marketing and visibility are what drove accessibility. Thousands of new tattoo shops didn't just appear without a market to support them.

It's the glamorization and mainstream visibility of tattoos that has increased their popularity.

In summary, you're the idiot.

LOL. Such a hostile response. I have some unique experience having lived in Oklahoma when it became legal. I received my first tattoo when I was 14 as I've said, there was almost zero glamorization of tattooing here. Yet, people still love the artwork, and they like the idea of carrying that with them forever. My tattoos are memories, of who I was at a certain time, who I am now, how I felt and I can look at a few of them and draw strength and inspiration in trying times.

You see, the "mainstream visibility" was that 2004-2010 it was still a sketch decision in how it would impact future job prospects. You're seeing them visible in public now because despite dumbass public opinion people with tattoos have gone on to be productive members of society.

It's certainly more prevalent in certain career paths, the arts especially. Tattoos are popular with chefs, but then again my line of work attracts certain individuals.

I stand out, and a lot of people have negative or false ideas of me and I'm perfectly fine with that. I live freely, I'd rather someone know from the start. Makes things much easier in my opinion.

Now this post rustles my jimmies.

-You don't stand out. You're just like every other twenty-something who isn't trying.
-People have negative opinions and they're justified.
-You don't live freely, in fact you're completely powerless and just float from the only opportunity you can find to the next.

-Of course it's easier to submit to destiny, this way you can't blame yourself for your own failures.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltonmjr
Back