Why are so many people Obsessed with Size >>>> Skill???

Well everyone is a little homosexual. It just manifests in proportion to how gay you happen to be.
And I don't mean that at all in a derogatory manner.

Too many people bought their kids He-man toys along the way for us not to have a size/physique hang up.

When 2 guys are similar in skill level, then the bigger guy will usually win. That is just a fact of mma/life.

Bruce Lee basically said the same thing.

A properly thrown strike will use both your muscle strength and body mass. This is why the force of a larger man's punch (if executed correctly) will have much more force than a smaller man.

I'm gonna guess Jose Aldo has more skill than JDS. I'll take JDS.

Couture fought till 44...why cant everyone else? Why did Liddel retire at 40 or Tito at 36? Surely seeing as there must be a set age where people decline they should have retired at the same age right?

Every fighter is an individual with different style, fights, damage taken, number of fights, that adds up.

Fedors also fought in countless Sambo matches as well, that adds to it all.

And Henderson has participated in countless wrestling matches outside MMA. But that doesn't count, right? People simply want to make excuses for Fedor because for whatever reason, they think he was set apart from any other fighter. The fact of the matter is that, physically, there isn't as much difference between individuals as many people in this thread want there to be. Couture wasn't able to compete until 44 be Aussie of some magically genetic gift, he was able to compete until 44 because he was smart enough to adapt both his training and his style to accommodate his age. Liddell retired at 40 because he couldn't figure out how to fight as anything other than a brawler even though the younger guys were faster than him. Tito never figured out how to evolve past a guy who takes an opponent down and grinds them out - even though he was no longer quick enough to land the takedown and was no longer bigger than everyone else at LHW. Fedor retired because as he got older, he never bothered to ramp up his training to account for the natural slowing of age. I honestly feel that at Fedor's age, all he needed to do was train harder to stay leaner and faster and he would have remained competitive for a few more years at least, even without changing his fighting style.

i've gotten my sh*t f*cked up back in my HS wrestling days by kids I had a 20lb weight advantage. And back in the day i was mostly muscle too (i had 5.5% body fat on my abs for example). why? SKILL

there are too many black and white generalizations in these arguments.

But it is like this, sometimes size wins, sometimes skill wins. That's part of what's exciting.

If MMA were openweight, you probably wouldn't have even heard of GSP; BJ Penn, Ben Henderson and so on, so to say size is insignificant is retarded, but of course, not every time does size win either

IN my opinion, the optimum size for a fighter is around the 230-240 mark. Bigger and speed, cardio come into question, smaller and you are looking at cutting weight to a lesser division.

The baddest men on the planet are guys Cain, JDS, Fedor, Big nog size

fightiq: I somewhat agree with you. Motivation is a big factor when you're talking about guys "past their primes". All you need to lose is your heart, and you won't be able to compete on a high level anymore. People think that athletes are some kind of robots that can keep going in full speed 'til they no longer have legs to support them, but that's not how it is. People get tired of competing, and some of them keep doing it just beacuse they need money.

Well everyone is a little homosexual. It just manifests in proportion to how gay you happen to be.
And I don't mean that at all in a derogatory manner.

Too many people bought their kids He-man toys along the way for us not to have a size/physique hang up.

But I dont want to fuck he-man....now that skeletor...he's gorgeous

fightiq: I somewhat agree with you. Motivation is a big factor when you're talking about guys "past their primes". All you need to lose is your heart, and you won't be able to compete on a high level anymore. People think that athletes are some kind of robots that can keep going in full speed 'til they no longer have legs to support them, but that's not how it is. People get tired of competing, and some of them keep doing it just beacuse they need money.

Exactly. I didn't say anything about motivation in my post because its impossible to know what anyone's motivation is. But what is clear is that almost universally, as they age, athletes who are motivated work harder to stay in shape and look for ways to adapt. I don't think Fedor, Chuck or Tito did this. As for motivation...who can say? Maybe they're lazy now. Maybe they don't have the same enhusiasm for fighting as they once did and just don't care enough? Maybe it's pride and they keep trying to prove tothemselves they can still do it "their way". Or maybe they simply don't know how and don't have the right people around them to help them with it, who knows.

I don't get how so many people do not understand why there are weight classes

Skill is greater than Size but when the two fighters are equally skilled the bigger fighter will almost always win

I swear to go you have to be brain dead to not understand that.

tumblr_mbiqec1JUw1ri1mxoo1_400.gif

Benson couldn't handle most of the top 10 WW's

Sakuraba already proved skill > size. Only currently are fighters too terrified to step up in weight.

But when skill is equal...size makes the difference.

Also you need to specify the exact size advantage. Hong Man Choi would wreck the majority of fighters.

Sure skill can out do size.

But very close skill sets size does come into play.

Plus the wild card in MMA is really what do they guys really weigh????? GSP walks around in the high 180's. Rumble walked around at 220+(out of shape by WW standards). But both fought at WW. Franklin for years at MW walked around in the 210-220 range and was still ripped. Yet many guys at MW weren't even pushing 200 at the time. These guys are all athletes so when one guy walks around at 210 and another at 190 chances are very good that is a solid 10-15 pound of muscle difference not just fat.

You got any proof TRT helps fighters performance? Fedor got KTFO by Dan it had nothing to do w/ TRT it has everything to do w/ Dan's fist.

Are you serious? There is a reason why guys start to fade in their mid to late 30's as T starts to diminish. Why do you think athletes want to take it if it doesn't make them bigger, faster, stronger, more energetic, and more able to heal?

TRT has clearly helped Dan, and of course it would help Fedor too, that is why it is considered a PED and is illegal unless you find a doctor who is willing to give a fighter a drug that isn't medically necessary. Correct me if I am wrong, but did Dan get his script for T from an endocrinologist or urologist? If not, then it isn't medically necessary, and it is performance enhancing.

Size matters a good amount when the skill levels are relatively close to each other.

user134214_pic10516_1317244459.jpg

Mighty Mouse/Struve. Make it happen, dana!!

Last edited:
Back