Why are so many people Obsessed with Size >>>> Skill???

Size matters, just ask your girlfriend.

There is no way Benson could hang with GSP.

Jones could smash heavyweights though.

Are you forgetting that Henderson is about ten years older than Fedor? Saying a guy ten years older only beat him because he was past his prime is ludicrous.

that was a total fluke. fedor steam rolled henderson into the fence and onto the ground. how many knockouts happen like that? henderson got lucky with that shit. it's not like they had a 3 round fight and fedor lost. fedor was winning and hendo slipped in a punch fro a weird position that now one trains to defend. total fluke. pit them again and fedor wins. can't say the same for werdum and fedor but hendo goes down against fedor 9/10 times.

There is a certain amount of size disparity which can be overcome with skill. For example in a fight between two guys at around 5kg (10-11lbs) weight difference the more technically skilled fighter will probably win unless it is very close in terms of skill.

In the range of 10-15kg (20-30lbs) weight difference a significant skill advantage may not even be enough to overcome the weight disparity although it could do in cases such as when the larger fighter has a glaring weakness which is easily exploited by a smaller opponent.

Upwards of that you are pretty much talking complete novice versus expert cases where the size difference can be overcome.

As an aside it is also important to note that size is only one factor. Athleticism, strength for your weight and ability to use your size to your advantage are all key factors which significantly impact the importance of size on the outcome of a fight. If there is a fighter who relys heavily on his strength against those who are the same size as him but not as strong, he will struggle against fighters who are bigger than him as he no longer has the strength advantage he is used to. Conversely if he is very strong for his weight but doesn't overly rely on it he may be better equipped to deal with someone of a superior size.

Because people are dumb. If fighters are almost evenly skilled, then size comes a factor.

If a 230 pound tap out bro, who's only submits twinkies is fighting Mighty Mouse, bet on MM.

Because people are dumb. If fighters are almost evenly skilled, then size comes a factor.

If a 230 pound tap out bro, who's only submits twinkies is fighting Mighty Mouse, bet on MM.

If you would have said a LHW or even a MW I'd agree. But if you're seriously suggesting that the 135 lbs champ could beat a professional fighter who's 100 lbs heavier than he is than why bother having weight classes at all?

When a good big fighter fights a good small fighter the good small fighter gets a good big beating.

Are you forgetting that Henderson is about ten years older than Fedor? Saying a guy ten years older only beat him because he was past his prime is ludicrous.

Hendo is on testosterone therapy; Fedor isn't. Older guys with juice can reduce the negative effects of aging on their body, such as the loss of muscle mass, strength, power, and so on.

If you would have said a LHW or even a MW I'd agree. But if you're seriously suggesting that the 135 lbs champ could beat a professional fighter who's 100 lbs heavier than he is than why bother having weight classes at all?

I didn't say a fighter, did I?

I was making a point that real skill will beat superior size advantage and make belief "skill".

Exactly, some people seem to think there.s some exact date set when you hit your decline but fighter experience, style, damage taken all adds up, Fedors had hundreds of Sambo matches as well during his lifetime...and yeah Hendo's roiding so that helps him.

When they were in their twenties, Roy Jones Jr beat Hopkins convincingly. When they were in their forties, Hopkins beat Roy Jones Jr convincingly. You'd almost think that different people age differently :cool:

I didn't say a fighter, did I?

I was making a point that real skill will beat superior size advantage and make belief "skill".

Mighty Mouse. I suppose he's the 125 lbs champ not the 135 lbs one. But you did say Mighty Mouse.

Well TS Fedor was past his prime against Henderson. Also skills matter too we know that.

and it's not like Fedor is much bigger than him lol

they're almost the same size

Back