Who Crossfits?

In the end, CrossFit could be a good program if they took the time to create some structure in their program. Even with many different people following it and a broad audience, it would not be that difficult to segment the programs into different levels that would develop different things. s.

There are some Crossfits gyms that are doing exactly that. One of the ones that I'm referring to has a set Mon/Wed/Fri Strength training, with a Saturday Field Challenge. There's 4-6 weeks of progressive training for Squat, Deads, Cleans etc. After that they do Met-Con, which is either a WOD or something similar to Ross Warrior Challenges. For instance, last Wednesday, the all worked on Squats 5 x 5 (I believe) for the first 40 minutes and then did the Magic 50 (straight from Ross).

These guys have also used the Bulgarian Blitz and the Russian Squat Program. So ya, Crossfit by itself is one thing. A smart Crossfit trainer will incorporate more than just a random WOD for his regular clients and in my limited experience with them, there seems to be more and more of them doing just that.

Depends on a ton of variables. None of my two programs are alike. He has his classes, and he has his specialized athletes. I like the article he did on ME BB, there have been a few done, that I read every time.

Depends on a ton of variables. None of my two programs are alike. He has his classes, and he has his specialized athletes. I like the article he did on ME BB, there have been a few done, that I read every time.

Yeah, those articles rocked.

So how have you been lately? Still working with athletes I presume?

Yes of course. My first article for Performance menu will be the december edition. Most likely a Climbing article of sorts for CF journal as well.

My clients are pretty much only climbers and martial artists now. Once in a while, a mom that wants the baby fat gone.

Now mind you I write for the PM and am considering doing so for crossfit journal.

I'm getting damn good at holding my breath waiting for that article. :icon_chee Expected to see it in November's issue.

A few new things came out to hold it until December. Everyone has been waiting I know. Don't worry Mike, I will send it to you early, kind of like a OLY lifting book a friend of mine wrote:)

A few new things came out to hold it until December. Everyone has been waiting I know. Don't worry Mike, I will send it to you early, kind of like a OLY lifting book a friend of mine wrote:)

Sweet!

Yes of course. My first article for Performance menu will be the december edition. Most likely a Climbing article of sorts for CF journal as well.

My clients are pretty much only climbers and martial artists now. Once in a while, a mom that wants the baby fat gone.

Awesome man, great to hear. I'll definitely be reading the article fo sho.

Got any advice for a 18 year old who does MMA alot and will soon be at 190lbs 10% body fat, while desiring to bulk up to 205lbs while improving conditioning? This guy is not me...just in general :icon_chee.

Sweet. Looking forward to it!

Hhahaha, sure, contact me directly, and stick tot he program without changing it bwahahaha.

You still with SBG? I will be heading down to see Luis next month.

Hahaha, alot has changed in those dose bro. I'm very consistent nowdays. But wait...that means I can't PM you and say "hmm...i wanna do something else on my core/grip routine because Im a dumb kid...what shall I do"? Maybe once for old times sake? :).

Your email still the same?

Ooop, can't edit posts. Freaking yellow cards.

Im still at SBG. We had a grappling seminar not too long ago with the Singers and their gym. Also brought in Chris Hautaer. It was great.

Hahaha, alot has changed in those dose bro. I'm very consistent nowdays. But wait...that means I can't PM you and say "hmm...i wanna do something else on my core/grip routine because Im a dumb kid...what shall I do"? Maybe once for old times sake? :).

Your email still the same?

Haha, it's all good. I was just giving you a hard time. use [email protected] I do all of my martial arts clinics, and PT training through there now. But you can always PM me with questions, that never changes:icon_lol:

Nice, I have always liked Adam and Rory, Cris IMO is the best Street jits guy for learning stuff of that nature. That's a great threesome to have come to your school, your clinch work should have improved that day, I imagine.

Haha, it's all good. I was just giving you a hard time. use [email protected] I do all of my martial arts clinics, and PT training through there now. But you can always PM me with questions, that never changes:icon_lol:

Nice, I have always liked Adam and Rory, Cris IMO is the best Street jits guy for learning stuff of that nature. That's a great threesome to have come to your school, your clinch work should have improved that day, I imagine.

Nice, I'll give you an email soon.

Yeah, the seminar rocked. I didn't really get to do any clinch work, it was pure grappling/BJJ. He went over alot of butterfly guard and a modified butterfly guard he uses, it was cool. Adam is a freaking beast, by the way. But they brought in alot of great fighters from their gym, I believe one fights in Dream and one is in the WEC right now. Really solid stuff.

Oh gotcha, their clinch DVD is one of the best I have ever seen. Cris teaches ground techniques for almost all SOCAL PD's now.

Anybody interested in an update? I thought this thread was dead. I had been doing crossfit since june. My strength while my squat form is better the program really went sideways from doing the straight strength stuff in the last 3 months. I have been doing almost no direct pushing exercises and without me noticing when I could do 10-15 ring dips when I first got my rings now I am down to 5-6. I was really dissapointed. Some of the exercises that I have been doing like pullups have gotten better but again I didnt ever really do them before.

So I agree with some of the other posts incorporating the wods for conditioning seems to be the direction I am heading while doing the 5x5 or something similar for my actual strength training. My main focus is to be strong and in shape for a (hopefully) upcoming Muay Thai fight. So i need to figure out how to blend it to get optimal sides of both stories.

So any way A lot of truth from the sherdoggers on this topic.

That's why I have never believed in a "one size fits all" or "cookie cutter" routine.

I think the bottom line is this. It's a consistent workout 'program' and it's obviously an intense program. Consistency + hard work is going to yield results, especially with the general population who seem drawn to crossfit. Most people just want to 'get in shape' so for that, Crossfit is going to give results.

That's what I believed until I read the t-nation article and I was starting to lean that way before the article. I really think the WOD is totally random and despite the marketing put forth that there is really a long term patern that is hard to see is BS. It's true that a lot of real deal affililates wouldn't touch the WOD with a ten foot pole and, conjecture it may be, that still helps convince me that Crossfit the concept is effective but certanly not the application coming from Glassman's inner organization.

Another thing is anyone ever notice how expensive Crossfit gyms are? For bare bones basics with stupid simple workouts they seem to charge out the ass.

Back