Who Crossfits?

Another thing is anyone ever notice how expensive Crossfit gyms are? For bare bones basics with stupid simple workouts they seem to charge out the ass.
I don't Crossfit, nor plan to, but how much is a "standard" membership cost?

I think it's $130/month for 3x week. That's a small group with a trainer.

I think it's $130/month for 3x week. That's a small group with a trainer.

To me that seems like a terrible deal, but maybe I'm just spoiled with the gym I go to. Plus what is the trainer doing anyways? There not creating a unique program to suit an individual. Maybe they're there to help with form and technique?

I like their workouts and some of them are tough as old boots. Not used them in a structured programme but it's good stuff to throw in.

the best thing ive read ^ you need to keep variety in yer workout mainly in your conditioning program and if you are trying to cut weight mixing cardio with strengh training is the best cardio IMO. but to think you can be at optimal conditioning levels you need to keep throwing yer body curveballs. mix it up and it will make it training cardio fun (except 5 mile runs there always boring) but you need it all the whole package.

That's what I believed until I read the t-nation article and I was starting to lean that way before the article. I really think the WOD is totally random and despite the marketing put forth that there is really a long term patern that is hard to see is BS. It's true that a lot of real deal affililates wouldn't touch the WOD with a ten foot pole and, conjecture it may be, that still helps convince me that Crossfit the concept is effective but certanly not the application coming from Glassman's inner organization.

Another thing is anyone ever notice how expensive Crossfit gyms are? For bare bones basics with stupid simple workouts they seem to charge out the ass.

Oh, I agree, that's why I put 'program' in quotation marks because truth be told, we may never really know if there's any method behind the madness that is the WOD, or is it just totally random.

It always amuses me that hypothetical/theoretical/scientific explanations on why CrossFit doesn't work are from people who have never tried it with honest effort.

Here's the deal. Try it for 6 months - preferably under a recognized CrossFit coach. If it's not your thing, that's okay, but at least you'll have a better understanding of what it is. Trust me when I say that looking at it on paper and actually doing it are two VERY different things.

I completely agree with this statement. I just got into crossfit and its kicking my ass. I plan on staying with it until i no longer get any benefit from it.

I completely agree with this statement. I just got into crossfit and its kicking my ass. I plan on staying with it until i no longer get any benefit from it.

Having a program that kicks your ass does not make it effective. Crossfit is hard, but does it benefit you the most.

Oh, I agree, that's why I put 'program' in quotation marks because truth be told, we may never really know if there's any method behind the madness that is the WOD, or is it just totally random.

It's completely random. That tubby in charge of Crossfit just writes something ridiculous like:
WOD:
Run a marathon
Squat 1000 lbs for 500 reps
Trek across Siberia
Kill a bear
Do 10 muscle-ups

Post your times in the comments section...

Stats is gonna be the next Glassman and make 13 million a year just off people paying certification fees.

Chase will then explode and take out half the eastern seaboard.

To me that seems like a terrible deal, but maybe I'm just spoiled with the gym I go to. Plus what is the trainer doing anyways? There not creating a unique program to suit an individual. Maybe they're there to help with form and technique?

Naw, my post at the top of the page explains it, sorta. He has them on a strength program, then has them do Met-con finishers. He also incorporates some stuff from Ross Enamait as well as his own ideas. They're all similar sizes, for the most part, so there's a real competitive aspect. They finish right before my Muay Thai class and I gotta say, they guys impress the hell out of me for the most part.

The guy's not just 'Crossfit', he has competitive Oly and Powerlifters training there as well, plus there's the Muay Thai/ BJJ there at night.

Naw, my post at the top of the page explains it, sorta. He has them on a strength program, then has them do Met-con finishers. He also incorporates some stuff from Ross Enamait as well as his own ideas. They're all similar sizes, for the most part, so there's a real competitive aspect. They finish right before my Muay Thai class and I gotta say, they guys impress the hell out of me for the most part.

The guy's not just 'Crossfit', he has competitive Oly and Powerlifters training there as well, plus there's the Muay Thai/ BJJ there at night.

Well I supose that their is a lot of variation in crossfit affliates. If the trainer can put together a program that suits the need of that group of people instrad of just being some random WOD then it might be worthwhile.

Maybe it's fair to say that he incorporates crossfit elements in his training but isn't purely crossfit. To me that's a far better/different way of training than hardcore pure crossfit.

Well I supose that their is a lot of variation in crossfit affliates. If the trainer can put together a program that suits the need of that group of people instrad of just being some random WOD then it might be worthwhile.

Maybe it's fair to say that he incorporates crossfit elements in his training but isn't purely crossfit. To me that's a far better/different way of training than hardcore pure crossfit.

Yes, that is a better way to put it. I should have just said it like that! And I agree, that is better, IMO.

Stats is gonna be the next Glassman and make 13 million a year just off people paying certification fees.

Chase will then explode and take out half the eastern seaboard.

He's already working on his randomball program.

I'll give Glassman credit for one thing, his random ball machine gots lots and lots of balls in it.

Back when I started this thread and got hated on so bad I also put a similar thread in the crossfit forum.
They guy that owns Crossfit SLA emailed me and told me to check out his website and it is decidedly different than the main website as far as daily wods. He said the majority of his clients are fighter. Anyway thought it might interest some of you.

Back when I started this thread and got hated on so bad I also put a similar thread in the crossfit forum.
They guy that owns Crossfit SLA emailed me and told me to check out his website and it is decidedly different than the main website as far as daily wods. He said the majority of his clients are fighter. Anyway thought it might interest some of you.

I'd be interested in seeing some of the responses. Do you have a link?

Back