Who Crossfits?

I don't know that people should look at Crossfit is ideal for high level atheletes.

Most people go to the gym ... the guys try to get bigger muscles, the women just try to make the number on the scale go down. I think what crossfit gives them is an entirely new focus - to generally get stronger and faster. Atheletes are looking for optimal ways to enhance the strength, speed or endurance that they need for their sport, but most people in the gym didn't even have performance goals before.

I do math. Theoretical fluid dynamics physicists do math. I'm doing a form of theoretical fluid dynamics! YAY!

some of you are confused on exactly what crossfit is. the principle is to do a specific type of exercise or exercises with an intended load in a specified time. Meaning, that if you do squats with 135 pounds on the bar for 50 reps in 10 minutes on monday, then do the same workout a week later for 52 reps in 10 minutes, then you theoreticaly gained strength. All my arguement is and has been, that lifting heavy ie doing a 5X5 workout is not the only way to train especially for combat sports where endurance is such a big factor. the whole goal of crossfit is to push your body to function at a greater level of all around fitness.

some of you are confused on exactly what crossfit is. the principle is to do a specific type of exercise or exercises with an intended load in a specified time. Meaning, that if you do squats with 135 pounds on the bar for 50 reps in 10 minutes on monday, then do the same workout a week later for 52 reps in 10 minutes, then you theoreticaly gained strength. All my arguement is and has been, that lifting heavy ie doing a 5X5 workout is not the only way to train especially for combat sports where endurance is such a big factor. the whole goal of crossfit is to push your body to function at a greater level of all around fitness.

So are you telling me when I do the 100 burpee challenge, I am doing Crossfit? How about the pullup challenge this month? Since when is a timed event/challenge labeled as Crossfit?

So are you telling me when I do the 100 burpee challenge, I am doing Crossfit? How about the pullup challenge this month? Since when is a timed event/challenge labeled as Crossfit?

if you
A. are attempting to do 100 burpees for a best time that is technically a crossfit type workout
B. Or if you did as many burpees as you could in a specified time, that is also technically a crossfit workout

I thought the whole Crossfit idealogy was somewhat random training modalities used in order to prevent any sort of efficiency from occuring which usually happens when a training program involves more SPP.

I thought the whole Crossfit idealogy was somewhat random training modalities used in order to prevent any sort of efficiency from occuring which usually happens when a training program involves more SPP.

yes. you are correct. coupled with my above said statement. I learned of it from a guy that I trained bjj with and decided to checkout crossfit.com. the workouts (if you push yourself) are pretty hard. I enjoy it and think it has helped my training quite a bit.

if you
A. are attempting to do 100 burpees for a best time that is technically a crossfit type workout
B. Or if you did as many burpees as you could in a specified time, that is also technically a crossfit workout

What? You think crossfit invented doing burpees? Or maybe we should say 'crossfit are doing an old-as-the-history-of-any-form-of-physical-exercise workout'.

Guys, did you know - I'm running a cult called oxfitness. It involved a couple of special exercises that I call the c&j and the snatch.

Those guys at the olympics - they do oxfitness.

:rolleyes:

if you

You're a moron. All of these principles of training have been around for 100 years. There is nothing novel or unique about anything done during a Crossfit workout. You are not "Crossfitting" if you do something that bears resemblance to something that is done in Crossfit. Crossfit is merely the name for a company.

I find the complete and total lack of any form of progression in Crossfit retarded and would never do it. It is a concurrent training of all aspects of performance, again nothing novel, and I think anyone who has been training for a few years can put something together for themselves that is superior. BUT, there are benefits and I think the T-Nation article outlined them well. The workouts are intense, if you go to a Crossfit gym you will find lots of like minded people who want to work hard (a complete rarity in other commercial gyms), and anything that makes people do cleans/deadlifts/jerk/press/chin-ups regularly is certainly welcome. The issue that grinds my gears is people drinking Glassman's retard Kool-Aid, like yourself, and running around the internet like Crossfit is God's answer to training.

Donut, bro - you should totally join my Oxfitness classes.

if you

I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous. Is a timed mile run crossfit also? How about a hot dog eating contest?
Maximum effort timed workouts have been around long before Crossfit. Your line of thinking falls into the same category as saying someone trains UFC.

Why would somebody who trains specifically for a sport like MMA decide to do crossfit? Why not do a set program with WOD's involved? You are leaving your fitness up to a 50 year old fat guy who doesn't even do crossfit anymore.

This is why everyone loves Ross Enamait. He's been a fighter before, he's an excellent trainer, no marketing hype, and he puts together a program that you can consistently progress on.

I have scientific data, unlike most of the idiots in this thread throwing their opinion around with no scientific data to back it up:

If you do crossfit, you will get AIDS. This was researched, and proven to be true, by Fennway.

This took me years of work and so if you have any questions, ask here and I'm sure I'll be able to answer them.

I have scientific data, unlike most of the idiots in this thread throwing their opinion around with no scientific data to back it up:

If you do crossfit, you will get AIDS. This was researched, and proven to be true, by Fennway.

This took me years of work and so if you have any questions, ask here and I'm sure I'll be able to answer them.

Not HIV but full blown AIDS?

Sorry for the aids mate. Hope the crossfit fitness can help hold it of for a while.

This isnt suprising at all considering how hot the crossfit babes are...

if you

No, those are Tabata type intervals, which actually Dan John, brought to Greg Glassman if you want to get technical about it. Not to mention, did anyone see the new "outside" magazine? Crossfit will make 13million this year. That's no typo, that is people paying 1,000 and up for certs. Now mind you I write for the PM and am considering doing so for crossfit journal.

I don't label anything as anyone. Robb is technically a part of Crossfit, as is Scott, and Greg, yet they also look outside the box, and I consider them great trainers. Some golds gyms have great trainers, some have shitty ones. As crossfit broadens that will be the case. Always is, when you take a master product and start watering it down.

But hell man, at least know what you are talking about.

Vedic, I believe Robb is a big fan of the CF ME BB. Isn't that typically considered a better option for combat athletes than the WOD's if their schedule allows?

Back