Who Crossfits?

I believe it was Robb Wolf who said something along the lines of, "I have always believed the most important fitness quality to have is strength". He said it in his Crossfit Max effort black box. Most athletes aren't at the point where they need pure high intensity training and GPP. Building a strength base and running base is key in my opinion.

Im stronger than 75% of crossfitters, and I'm weak as heck compared to most in S&P.

I like some of their conditioning workouts but it's not like they're something that only crossfit coaches could think up. I bet anyone here could come up with one easily.

As for building strength, well it's rediculous to even argue that crossfit is the best way to build strength. Plus the mixing of politics and exercise bothers me.

So what is it they offer?

Crossfit could be really beneficial when your strong enough and want to focus on coditioning/GPP or just all around fitness. Unfortunately most people aren't strong enough to benefit from that.

For a competitive athlete a well structured hybrid program incorporating strength, power, and conditioning work would be much better. How many top level athletes get there by following random "WODs"?

Even the Marine Corps has adopted crossfit as their way of training. if you go to crossfit.com you'll notice most of the people are military and the events are held mostly on military bases. the military uses it because it maximizes the amount of endurance AND strength. I'm sure you're familiar with a lot of different fighters and how they train. Both Fedor and Anderson Silva train without lweights all together and are considered extremely strong by all their compeyitors. Fedor in particular does sets of pull ups followed by pushups followed by pullups followed by pushups etc etc as fast as he can in one giant superset. That is a form of crossfit. it's good for combat conditioning

Even the Marine Corps has adopted crossfit as their way of training. if you go to crossfit.com you'll notice most of the people are military and the events are held mostly on military bases. the military uses it because it maximizes the amount of endurance AND strength. I'm sure you're familiar with a lot of different fighters and how they train. Both Fedor and Anderson Silva train without lweights all together and are considered extremely strong by all their compeyitors. Fedor in particular does sets of pull ups followed by pushups followed by pullups followed by pushups etc etc as fast as he can in one giant superset. That is a form of crossfit. it's good for combat conditioning

You're the reason why people hate Crossfit.

Yeah, so because the USMC does it I guess everyone should? Ridiculous.

Yeah, so because the USMC does it I guess everyone should? Ridiculous.

I'm not saying that at all. i just think it does work. I'm argueing the fact that it is a good way to train, not that it is the ONLY way to train.

Fedor in particular does sets of pull ups followed by pushups followed by pullups followed by pushups etc etc as fast as he can in one giant superset. That is a form of crossfit. it's good for combat conditioning

Crossfit does Olympic lifts. I do Olympic lifts. That doesn't mean I "Crossfit". :rolleyes:

I'm not saying that at all. i just think it does work. I'm argueing the fact that it is a good way to train, not that it is the ONLY way to train.

Got ya. Here's my thing. Most people who start crossfit do not need to focus on primarily anaerobic high intensity exercise and GPP. Building pure strength and an aerobic base would be far better for most new athletes in my opinion.

Fedor in particular does sets of pull ups followed by pushups followed by pullups followed by pushups etc etc as fast as he can in one giant superset. That is a form of crossfit.

I do math. Theoretical fluid dynamics physicists do math. I'm doing a form of theoretical fluid dynamics! YAY!

Even the Marine Corps has adopted crossfit as their way of training. if you go to crossfit.com you'll notice most of the people are military and the events are held mostly on military bases. the military uses it because it maximizes the amount of endurance AND strength.

I suppose crossfit is a step up from push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups and running but I'm not going to follow a workout system just because the USMC does it. The navy seals do various lifts with logs, does that mean I should do it to?

I'm sure you're familiar with a lot of different fighters and how they train. Both Fedor and Anderson Silva train without lweights all together and are considered extremely strong by all their compeyitors.

Gymnasts (often) train without weights and are very strong. But that has nothing to do with crossfit. What was your argument?

In terms of personal experience, I've never tried crossfit and don't plan to. But I have seen a number of people who regularly do the WOD at my gym. And I'm pretty sure they would all benefit from doing some basic strength and power work and keeping the conditioning seperate. Plus they'll ask how many "rounds" I have left in the power rack. That's just weird.

I began integrating crossfit-type movements and their philosophies to my workouts when I was a trainer. I was doing a hypertrophy-based stength workout and running everyday with pylometrics worked in. When I got a real job and was stuck in a cop car for hours at a time, I adjusted my diet and my workout. I dropped the hypertrophy over the plyo. Your own need and situation may vary.

My "Crossfit" workouts are usually part of a two-a-day. Strength training or crossfitting for one. Running, boxing or grappling for the other.

As Bruce once said, "Let no one way be the way."

Im a Marine so reading this post made me fucking sick. Sorry pal, but weve been doing gpp style shit for a loooong fucking time. What you really meant was that crossfit has adopted a Marine Corps style of training.

Fedor has trained with weights in the past and Anderson Silva has been shown on All Access using weights and machines of all things.

Im a Marine so reading this post made me fucking sick. Sorry pal, but weve been doing gpp style shit for a loooong fucking time. What you really meant was that crossfit has adopted a Marine Corps style of training.

I was gonna say the same thing. Rope Climbing, running, push-ups, pull-ups, rucking etc. all seem like things the Military was doing way before crossfit came around.

I was more sympathetic towards Crossfit till I read that T-nation article. I think the article was fair but the conlusion I drew was that there may be some specious reasons , I don't how to put it, other than getting better in a logical progression for the WOD. In other words is Glassman just pulling this shit out of his ass or is there a logical point to it that benefits the trainee? I'm not convinced the WOD has any planned goal to it and in fact I think now more than ever it is a total random workout just made up at the spur of the moment to post on a web page. A waste of time.

I have something to admit. I have been going to crossfit 2 days a week.

I refuse to go on endurance days.

They have days where they do 100 pushups, cheat pullups and situps, fuck that.
I will only show up on a Strength day and one conditioning day. I only plan on doing this for 6 months, so I have all the olympic lifts down. Then I plan to join a powerlifting club.

Check out my log and yell at me if you wish.

I was more sympathetic towards Crossfit till I read that T-nation article. I think the article was fair but the conlusion I drew was that there may be some specious reasons , I don't how to put it, other than getting better in a logical progression for the WOD. In other words is Glassman just pulling this shit out of his ass or is there a logical point to it that benefits the trainee? I'm not convinced the WOD has any planned goal to it and in fact I think now more than ever it is a total random workout just made up at the spur of the moment to post on a web page. A waste of time.

I think the bottom line is this. It's a consistent workout 'program' and it's obviously an intense program. Consistency + hard work is going to yield results, especially with the general population who seem drawn to crossfit. Most people just want to 'get in shape' so for that, Crossfit is going to give results.

Back