Who Crossfits?

Dan's got mad google skillz. There are some great inspirational quotes on that site.

Ya, there are some good ones. I like the Stoics. I have a whole book full of them.

Also, if you scroll down there's a chick with some ink doing Renegade rows. She looks hot, at least in that pic.

Im noticing a correlation between -

A) posters who crossfit and being a whitebelts.

B) posters who crossfit and are most likely homosexual or female.

My old Rugby team just started going to CrossFit here in town. After hearing that I knew I made the right decision to switch teams.

I've been doing the WODs on my own in my gym along with cardio (treadmill) and BJJ at night.

why would you pay for crossfit instruction when the post a WOD everyday?

I've been doing the WODs on my own in my gym along with cardio (treadmill) and BJJ at night.

why would you pay for crossfit instruction when the post a WOD everyday?

If you know how to lift properly, I don't think you would, unless you were getting the extra stuff like I mentioned in my previous posts. Or you are really competitive and need that setting to push yourself.

Thanks man I am like a 3rd grader when it comes to links/embedding.

No prob man. For the future, just copy the URL of the site then paste it in the post. Easy as pie.

Well you could definitely get some good martial arts training for 130 bucks a month. I never went to a crossfit gym and trained you could definitely buy everything for your house and probably still come out ahead for what it would cost you to workout for a year.

If you know how to lift properly, I don't think you would, unless you were getting the extra stuff like I mentioned in my previous posts. Or you are really competitive and need that setting to push yourself.

That's the thing though, how many people really know how to lift properly? It's kind of like people who watch videos and "learn" how to apply a triangle or armbar and then realize it doesn't really carry over that well without the detailed instruction of a competent instructor. Similar thing especially with the Oly lifts. Most people who try them on their own tend to have less than optimal extension, really segmented or choppy lifts, etc. I'm not saying it can't be done, I just know that I've benefited from instruction whether it be in lifting, BJJ, boxing, shooting a gun or writing a paper.

That's the thing though, how many people really know how to lift properly? It's kind of like people who watch videos and "learn" how to apply a triangle or armbar and then realize it doesn't really carry over that well without the detailed instruction of a competent instructor. Similar thing especially with the Oly lifts. Most people who try them on their own tend to have less than optimal extension, really segmented or choppy lifts, etc. I'm not saying it can't be done, I just know that I've benefited from instruction whether it be in lifting, BJJ, boxing, shooting a gun or writing a paper.

Agreed. I taught myself Oly lifts, then I googled my town name and "Oly lifts" to find someone who could correct my form. Being from a small town it's hard to find people, but it's so worth it if you have to shell out a few bucks to learn it proper.

Fortunately for me I actually knew the guy (I had trained with his brother briefly) and he showed me what I was doing wrong and even lent me some bumper plates, all for free I might add.

Very, very few self taught people excel in their chosen task.

Agreed. I taught myself Oly lifts, then I googled my town name and "Oly lifts" to find someone who could correct my form. Being from a small town it's hard to find people, but it's so worth it if you have to shell out a few bucks to learn it proper.

That was a very, very smart move. Probably one of the worst things I could have done was to try and teach myself the clean. I assumed (wrongly) that it was a simple movement. Unlearning bad habits has been 5 times as hard as learning new movements, if that makes any sense.

I now have a coach that was trained under Greg Everett, and I'm not going to make the same mistake with the snatch.

Chris Sugart from t-nation wrote a very good article on Crossfit this week. I think he summed them up quite well.

That was a very, very smart move. Probably one of the worst things I could have done was to try and teach myself the clean. I assumed (wrongly) that it was a simple movement. Unlearning bad habits has been 5 times as hard as learning new movements, if that makes any sense.

I now have a coach that was trained under Greg Everett, and I'm not going to make the same mistake with the snatch.

Did the same, *dumb*. Although I think I could have done a much worse job teaching myself.

Chris Sugart from t-nation wrote a very good article on Crossfit this week. I think he summed them up quite well.

This one?

If so, then ya, it is good.

I totally know what ya mean, about the un-learning bit.

And that's wicked you you have a good coach man. Gotta get some vids up~!

How did you find your coach/how much did it cost?

How did you find your coach/how much did it cost?

Pure fluke and chance through friends, because I wasn't looking for a coach that taught Olympic lifting. I egotistically assumed I was teaching myself correctly. Long story short, I was doing a lot of things right, but developing a lot of bad, bad habits, like pulling early. His hourly one-on-one fee is comparable to any other personal trainer, 75$/hr

Pure fluke and chance through friends, because I wasn't looking for a coach that taught Olympic lifting. I egotistically assumed I was teaching myself correctly. Long story short, I was doing a lot of things right, but developing a lot of bad, bad habits, like pulling early. His hourly one-on-one fee is comparable to any other personal trainer, 75$/hr

I'm considering hitting up a local Crossfit affiliate to take some one-on-one olympic lifting lessons before I start trying it on my own. He's USA Weightlifting certified and has good reviews on Yelp, so I figure even if I don't buy into the whole crossfit thing I can still learn a lot. I'm too much of a pussy to try a clean and press just from watching youtube videos.

Interesting you mention this I was training with my step dad for a while and when I wanted to get back into doing dead lifts he proceeded to tell me that he has the best olympic form in the room (of which my mom, me, my wife were the only ones there) and he would never do a deadlift again because he constantly hurts his back. I said well I can lift twice what you can and never hurt my back with my "inferior form". Not saying I am some kind of lifting technician or anything cause I am sure I am not but I kept thinking what an ignorant thing to say!

Back