Who Crossfits?

My god... you sound like a child. Half of Ross's stuff is taken from Crossfit.... if you'd been watching both for years you would realize this. Secondly,you don't even know who I am or my weight or size or athletic accomplishments, yet you are calling me out on the internet?? LOL freaking LOL at internet toughness. Based on your ignorant bragadishio I would reckon insecurity is probably a mainstay in your life.

"Funny thing is I bet I could beat your time on any crossfit workout, or numbers on the big three, yet I don't ever follow crossfit, wonder why that is."

Freaking hillarity ^^^^. Nah nah nah. I claim physical superiority from 9000 miles away and I'm not gonna tell you how I do..... Do you realize how funny you sound?

Really, would you like to show in writing where half of Ross's work is specifically from crossfit? Don't try to call me on shit when you know nothing about it. I write for Performance menu, you will see my articles monthly, does it mean I agree with everything from crossfit? Absolutely not, some of their stuff is good, but I can say that about Ross, Greg, and Robb the last two are crossfit coaches that specialize, and Mike Mahler, or Mark Twight or Dan John. Don't try and call me out on a subject that, yes in fact I do have more knowledge on than you. Insecurity isn't a need or a wayne in my life. Sorry bud, wrong guy here. :icon_lol:

Sure, may sound silly to you, but something I am willing to prove to you anytime.

Nope not here to make friends man, I am here to share knowledge and call bull shit. Look in the D&S you will see.

Really, would you like to show in writing where half of Ross's work is specifically from crossfit? Don't try to call me on shit when you know nothing about it. I write for Performance menu, you will see my articles monthly, does it mean I agree with everything from crossfit? Absolutely not, some of their stuff is good, but I can say that about Ross, Greg, and Robb the last two are crossfit coaches that specialize, and Mike Mahler, or Mark Twight or Dan John. Don't try and call me out on a subject that, yes in fact I do have more knowledge on than you. Insecurity isn't a need or a wayne in my life. Sorry bud, wrong guy here. :icon_lol:

Sure, may sound silly to you, but something I am willing to prove to you anytime.

Nope not here to make friends man, I am here to share knowledge and call bull shit. Look in the D&S you will see.

Have you watched the development of Ross's site over the years? It should be pretty obvious...

Also did you read my post... I didn't call you out on a subject.... I mocked your internet toughness and continue to with statments like " Sure, may sound silly to you, but something I am willing to prove to you anytime" It is clear from your blog that you are a trainer and work in the industry. I am merely a Forex Trader and entrepreuner who's passion is fitness and combat sports.

Well if its important enough for you to spend the gas money to prove your proclaimed internet challenge... well.... you might have too much time on your hands.

I do have a lot of time on my hands from training. Odd none of it is replicated from crossfit. I watch Ross's site, and I watch Mark Twight's site as well, and talk to him, Dan, and Robb quite often. As I don't try to sound like a know it all on a subject that I am quite versed in.

In fact Mark goes over the exact topic in the latest issue of "Outside magazine" have a read.

To me it's not wasting gas, I will be in Chico for Greg's oly seminar at Robb's place, OH MY GOD I am going to a grossfit gym. Get my point? The best coach in the crossfit system isn't even Greg Glassman.

Humboldt,

I hope you are getting a kickback from CrossFit or something because you sound like a discussion board commercial. While I appreciate your enthusiasm and you obviously believe in it, if you truly would like to educate yourself and improve I would recommend you take the time to learn from authors, coaches, and scientists who actually understand how the body works and know more about science and training than marketing.

CrossFit is better in some ways and worse than others in comparison to the average gym workout most people do, and it's definitely better than doing nothing, but it is FAR from the best or the only way to train.

And the whole thing with 300 is ridiculous, it's not like they hired actors who were totally out of shape and transformed them overnight and there are a ton of before and after pictures. They hired actors who were already in decent to pretty good shape and put them through an intense program and used great lighting, makeup, and cinematography to make them look even better. You could go to any state level amateur bodybuilding show and find a collection of better physiques and I guarantee none of them train using CrossFit or anything even remotely close.

I do have a lot of time on my hands from training. Odd none of it is replicated from crossfit. I watch Ross's site, and I watch Mark Twight's site as well, and talk to him, Dan, and Robb quite often. As I don't try to sound like a know it all on a subject that I am quite versed in.

In fact Mark goes over the exact topic in the latest issue of "Outside magazine" have a read.

To me it's not wasting gas, I will be in Chico for Greg's oly seminar at Robb's place, OH MY GOD I am going to a grossfit gym. Get my point? The best coach in the crossfit system isn't even Greg Glassman.

Who said Glassman was the best?

Humboldt,

I hope you are getting a kickback from CrossFit or something because you sound like a discussion board commercial. While I appreciate your enthusiasm and you obviously believe in it, if you truly would like to educate yourself and improve I would recommend you take the time to learn from authors, coaches, and scientists who actually understand how the body works and know more about science and training than marketing.

CrossFit is better in some ways and worse than others in comparison to the average gym workout most people do, and it's definitely better than doing nothing, but it is FAR from the best or the only way to train.

And the whole thing with 300 is ridiculous, it's not like they hired actors who were totally out of shape and transformed them overnight and there are a ton of before and after pictures. They hired actors who were already in decent to pretty good shape and put them through an intense program and used great lighting, makeup, and cinematography to make them look even better. You could go to any state level amateur bodybuilding show and find a collection of better physiques and I guarantee none of them train using CrossFit or anything even remotely close.

No doubt Crossfit is not the end all and be all of anything. I just can't stand people bashing it without a proper discussion of the merits. Sorry if I enjoy stickling you guys a little bit. Just a hair bored between trades and since work keeps me up until 4 anyways....

Again, I'm fairly well read... I just enjoy provoking some discussion:p

If I can't rile people up on Sherdog, then the world is a sad changed place.

BTW: Since EZA and VEDIC seem pretty well educated I'd like to hear their thoughts from fellow combat athletes, on the best strength and conditioning program for fighters. Vedic, do you completely follow EZA's prescriptions or do you change things for your training?

Ps: No need to answer this EZA- I registered at your site and I'm currently reading....

No. What is your point? That you think you can beat me up? Fucking lol at your fourth attempt at internet toughness. If your point is that you aren't blindly hating grossfit or whatever you want to call it and are open to its merits.... well sweet. I'm just trying to stir the pot around here :cool:

In my opinion Crossfit seems to help so much because most of the people who claim to be fighters on here are at a very low level. When you have workouts that consist of so many variables you see improvements everywhere. When you make that crossover to a more intermediate level you arent going to see the kind of results you would from periodizing your workouts. The problem is you are already sold on Crossfit because A. It took you from noob to intermediate and B. "Navy Seals" follow it.

It pains me to see people who read highly marketed programs on the internet and take everything they say to heart rather than listening to highly educated people who know what they are talking about like EZA and Vedic.

Humboldt,

Why is it ridiculous? I merely stated that was the program they used. I didn't pass any judgment on how they looked. Do you think body builders would have looked better in that role? And of course 99% of bodybuilders don't crossfit.... it is essentially the antithesis.

In my opinion Crossfit seems to help so much because most of the people who claim to be fighters on here are at a very low level. When you have workouts that consist of so many variables you see improvements everywhere. When you make that crossover to a more intermediate level you arent going to see the kind of results you would from periodizing your workouts. The problem is you are already sold on Crossfit because A. It took you from noob to intermediate and B. "Navy Seals" follow it.

It pains me to see people who read highly marketed programs on the internet and take everything they say to heart rather than listening to highly educated people who know what they are talking about like EZA and Vedic.

LOL. There might be some truth to what you say. However, there might also be some truth to the fact that when some people are making money and others are offering discounts, the haterness becomes rampant. Sherdog is the ultimate litmus test for shooting down anything popular. It seems the less underground something is on Sherdog, the quicker it gets looked down on.

BTW: I'm still chuckling about the Navy Seals part. Maybe i can convince people to do crossfit if I tell them Chuck Norris does it.

Lol, I grew up with at Paul Check's place (our families our friends) and I love many of his protocols and often mix them with my wods. You seem (like many others) to want to paint crossfit in such black and white terms. It's not like you can't improvise your crossfit or periodize it. Don't forget your sport(s) should provide be the base of your training formula. If you ever tried crossfit for a substantial period you would probably realize you much you could take away from it.

I like EZA's website, and see a lot of overlap with what I do. His methods ( don't stone me :icon_neut) seem to share a lot in common with JC Santana. Someone who is booed a lot on this board. What's EZA's opinion on Juan and his new book S&C for the modern gladiator?

LOL. There might be some truth to what you say. However, there might also be some truth to the fact that when some people are making money and others are offering discounts, the haterness becomes rampant. Sherdog is the ultimate litmus test for shooting down anything popular. It seems the less underground something is on Sherdog, the quicker it gets looked down on.

BTW: I'm still chuckling about the Navy Seals part. Maybe i can convince people to do crossfit if I tell them Chuck Norris does it.

Planet Fitness makes alot of money. McDonald's makes alot of money. Does this mean they are highly effective gyms or restaurants? Nope, they are good at marketing. Planet Fitness makes fat people think they are entering an environment where no one looks down upon you for being fat then feeds you free bagels and pizza and has you running circuits on machines. McDonald's throws together a dollar menu, toys for kids, salty food and tops it off with a clown. Do you think Bill's Spinach Shop would cash in like a McDonald's?

There's your marketing tip. Get over it, Crossfit is for the uneducated.

Planet Fitness makes alot of money. McDonald's makes alot of money. Does this mean they are highly effective gyms or restaurants? Nope, they are good at marketing. Planet Fitness makes fat people think they are entering an environment where no one looks down upon you for being fat then feeds you free bagels and pizza and has you running circuits on machines. McDonald's throws together a dollar menu, toys for kids, salty food and tops it off with a clown. Do you think Bill's Spinach Shop would cash in like a McDonald's?

There's your marketing tip. Get over it, Crossfit is for the uneducated.

Duh, bro. Of course it means they are highly effective! What you probably meant is does their high profitability mean that they are maximizing their clients benefits? In the case of Mikey D's yes. They do not trick anyone into thinking they are selling health food. As for Planet Fitness (I've never seen one) but clearly if what you say is true, they are doing their clients a dis-service.

And, that was a marketing tip? Clearly you're ready to give lectures alongside Tony Robbins

PS: You sound bitter. Maybe your business needs a clown, salty food, and a dollar menu?:eek:

Duh, bro. Of course it means they are highly effective! What you probably meant is does their high profitability mean that they are maximizing their clients benefits? In the case of Mikey D's yes. They do not trick anyone into thinking they are selling health food. As for Planet Fitness (I've never seen one) but clearly if what you say is true, they are doing their clients a dis-service.

And, that was a marketing tip? Clearly you're ready to give lectures alongside Tony Robbins

PS: You sound bitter. Maybe your business needs a clown, salty food, and a dollar menu?:eek:

The McDonald's example was purely to display how marketing will get people's interest. I didnt say they were trying to sell healthy food. Crossfit does the same in that it appeals to everyone who doesnt know any better. Kinda like the salads they sell at McDonald's for the "health nuts."

I was just reading through Crossfit's workout of the day for the months of October and September 2008. Many of them include certain weights and reps to use. So my 80 year old grandmother should Overhead Press 75lbs for 20 reps and so should I if im looking to compete in MMA? Give me a break... Its way too general to take you beyond average. Like I said earlier if you are a noob it will help because you are hitting everything.

Let's say my cardiac output is at a level I like and have a real need for explosive power. Why would I follow the Workout of the Day if it happens to be "Run 3 k?" How is this helping me achieve what I need? Other Workouts i've read include Power Cleans and such for 135 lbs. So a fighter in the 155 lb weight class and a heavyweight should both Power Clean the same amount of weight? I'm not sure how this is going to benefit a high level athlete.

But hey, im just a hater.. right?

The McDonald's example was purely to display how marketing will get people's interest. I didnt say they were trying to sell healthy food. Crossfit does the same in that it appeals to everyone who doesnt know any better. Kinda like the salads they sell at McDonald's for the "health nuts."

I was just reading through Crossfit's workout of the day for the months of October and September 2008. Many of them include certain weights and reps to use. So my 80 year old grandmother should Overhead Press 75lbs for 20 reps and so should I if im looking to compete in MMA? Give me a break... Its way too general to take you beyond average. Like I said earlier if you are a noob it will help because you are hitting everything.

Let's say my cardiac output is at a level I like and have a real need for explosive power. Why would I follow the Workout of the Day if it happens to be "Run 3 k?" How is this helping me achieve what I need? Other Workouts i've read include Power Cleans and such for 135 lbs. So a fighter in the 155 lb weight class and a heavyweight should both Power Clean the same amount of weight? I'm not sure how this is going to benefit a high level athlete.

But hey, im just a hater.. right?

No, I'm glad you like to play along... makes life bearable in my final 15 minutes before work ends. :) If you read Crossfit fully, ALL THE MATERIAL.... not just the front page, you'll discover ways to scale the workouts, not only by weight, but also by excercise. E.G grandma might do overhead squats with a pvc pipe and you would do the prescribed wod and a more advanced athlete might increase the weight or take away the stability of the surface the lift is being performed on.

If you need explosive power by all means, do the wods and add some low end strength work after the three k. There's plenty of wiggle room.... check out the crossfit endurance web site for more to stuff to hate on... j/k

Thanks Barut.

Variety: this can be as simple or complicated as you want. Different shoes (or no shoes), different bar, different environment, altitude, temperature, humidity, pre-workout meal, time of day, sleep/rest/previous workout, sequence, exercise choice, weight used, % of max, total volume, etc.

Functional: this is NOT the bosu ball/wobble board bullshit that you hear about. Think movement patterns: squat, deadlift, climbling, jumping, pressing/pushing, pulling, cleans, etc. This list can also be modified to suit your sport, although I generally feel that strength work should be separate from skill work.

Intensity: an oversimplified translation would be "power output" at various time frames. How much power can you produce in less than 5 seconds (think vertical jump, max effort squat, max effort clean, snatch, whatever). How much power can you produce in 3 minutes? 5 minutes? 30 minutes?

Combine these three principles in a way that
1) addresses your weak links
2) is measurable
3) is progressive

I know that CF has been slammed for not doing the above, but a freely posted WOD is not a replacement for self-education and/or seeking out a good coach. I can tell you that there are tremendous athletes who do nothing more than the WOD, but there are also athletes who tweak and modify ... yet still follow the three basic principles.

As for safety, there are two ways to look at this. First, no successful program will be injury free. If you want injury free your intensity will be so low as to not produce a response in adaption (which will eventually result in injuries because the individual is a pussy). Show me a training program or sport that hasn't experienced some type of injury. Second, despite the claims of "high injury rates" from people who have never used it, CF has been independently tested by numerous military, police, and fire departments and proven to be safer than existing programs. I know that studies are never perfect, but it gives you some measurable results to help in the decision process. Obviously you will have to weigh pros and cons and see if the benefit is worth the risk.

Regarding the "same workout for everyone" bit ... I hope it is obvious that workouts are modified to the individual's level. Most people have enough common sense to scale back when something is posted that they simply can't do. I don't know many females who would complete 45 reps of 225 deadlift and handstand pushups, but I know quite a few who can complete 45 reps of 95 pound deadlifts and pushups. (This is just an example)

You wouldn't expect a beginner to walk into the gym and deadlift 600 pounds on first try.
You wouldn't expect a beginner to walk into a world class BJJ academy and wipe the floor with a BB.
And you wouldn't expect a beginner to tackle the WOD as written.

Scale to your level and gradually build up - just like anything else.

After re-reading the thread, I'm going to let this guy talk for me and just shut the F up.... i know your happy

Why spend 2 months hitting everything randomly when I can focus 4 weeks at a time maximizing a specific goal?

Why spend 2 months hitting everything randomly when I can focus 4 weeks at a time maximizing a specific goal?

Last post for the night... I think it really depends on what your goals are and high highly you prioritize one attribute over another. No reason not to accomplish that goal or do some periodization and then come back to CF for a continuing development across multiple energy systems and overall athletic ability.

I think fighters generally tend to begin to drift one way or another to far in their training. In not only styles practicing too much bjj over wrestling or too much power or power-endurance or strength. CF is not the holy grail, but I feel it keeps you very athletic and not defiecient in any one area. As a fighter I would rather have a 6:00 mile and be able to go right to a bench 235x10 followed immedieatly by 15 pullups than have a 5:45 minute mile and be able to only do 175x10 bench and 6 pullups. CF won't make you a master of one skill set but a jack of all. I still feel it's very compatible for combat sports

No doubt Crossfit is not the end all and be all of anything. I just can't stand people bashing it without a proper discussion of the merits. Sorry if I enjoy stickling you guys a little bit. Just a hair bored between trades and since work keeps me up until 4 anyways....

Again, I'm fairly well read... I just enjoy provoking some discussion:p

If I can't rile people up on Sherdog, then the world is a sad changed place.

BTW: Since EZA and VEDIC seem pretty well educated I'd like to hear their thoughts from fellow combat athletes, on the best strength and conditioning program for fighters. Vedic, do you completely follow EZA's prescriptions or do you change things for your training?

Ps: No need to answer this EZA- I registered at your site and I'm currently reading....

I agree with a lot of EZA's protocols, some not. In fact I have bounced ideas off of him in the past in PM's. Not Galssman though:icon_lol: But I have with Robb, Greg, Dan, and Mark.

Every single client has a different protocol with me. he and I follow a lot of the same principles though.

I agree with a lot of EZA's protocols, some not. In fact I have bounced ideas off of him in the past in PM's. Not Galssman though:icon_lol: But I have with Robb, Greg, Dan, and Mark.

Every single client has a different protocol with me. he and I follow a lot of the same principles though.

Good to know. I have to admit I stayed at work an hour late, until 5AM to read EZA's website. Lot's of good info and HE'S ONE OF THE ONLY PEOPLE THAT SEEM TO BE TALKING ABOUT SYMPATHETIC/PARASYMPATHETIC AS IT APPLIES TO FITNESS. WAY TO BE A LEADER EZA

Back