Where does Volk stand with his Legacy if he never wins another fight?

MigitAs

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Just a hypothetical with people questioning Volk’s quick return. How much has Volk accomplished in this sport? Does he get remembered and celebrated for years if he goes on a bad skid now into retirement?

He's still the only guy ever under Welterweight to defend his title at/over 34 years of age, which is a crazy stat. It just puts his skill level into perspective, win or lose, in February.

Like a good FW who went for super fights with a heavier champion. Tainting his legacy for freak shows, in other words. Not the first, won't be the last.

He's still the only guy ever under Welterweight to defend his title at/over 35 years of age, which is a crazy stat. It just puts his skill level into perspective, win or lose, in February.
Makes you wonder how much longer he could've gone had he started a little younger.

I honestly think he could've went on a similar championship run as GSP or Jones.

Guy is just good everywhere and his fight IQ is one of the best.

Volk would still be one of the greats in the division. He has 29 fights and only 3 losses, with two being going up a weight class and vying for a title. No shame in those losses IMO.

What I do think will (slightly) harm Volks long term legacy/greatness is the fact that spent 5 fights on Halloway and Islam. Especially the Halloway fights as doing the trilogy fight was not needed since it was 2-0 Volk already and that fight further reinforced why. But to be fair this is the same issue many current/recent fighters will be dealing with due to UFC doing so many unneeded rematches.

If stats matter for much, this will be the end of Volk's title reign in all likelihood. Statistically, him beating Topuria would be unprecedented. No fighter who's 35 or over has ever beaten an under 35er in a title fight at LW and below, and it's only happened once at WW. Any betting men would be wise to take advantage of plus money on Topuria.

So all that aside, I think it's hard to put him in the highest upper room with Silva, Jon, and GSP. If he had beaten Makhachev and become a double champ, it'd be a different story. Right now though, I think he's a tier below it with guys like Aldo, DJ, Khabib, etc. What he's done at FW is insane. Knocks out Mendes, outclasses Aldo, clean decision over Max, close decision over Max (yes, scoring 3, 4, and 5 for Volk is perfectly reasonable), beats the shit out of Ortega, beats the shit out of and stops KZ, beats the shit out of Max, and knocks out Yair. What else is there to say?

2nd best featherweight ever. He will go down as one of the best to ever do it either way. Bj Penn had tons of losses and most of us believe he was one of the best lightweights ever. Nothing changes that imo

He'll have been OK in UFC.
Decision fighter, boring in my observations and forgettable performances.
Now ask me about Leon Edwards and it's even less spectacular...
<mma3>

Guys relax, he still hasn't lost at his natural weight class in over a decade. He last two loses were to Islam in a super close five-rounder and a KO lost to Islam after getting off his couch on short notice.

He also beat Aldo when Aldo was only 32 and made Max into a tall punching bag the last time they fought.

Guys relax, he still hasn't lost at his natural weight class in over a decade. He last two loses were to Islam in a super close five-rounder and a KO lost to Islam after getting off his couch on short notice.

He also beat Aldo when Aldo was only 32 and made Max into a tall punching bag the last time they fought.
Hasn't lost in his natural weight class ever. 2 at LW and 1 at WW

Back