Whats a decent pistol for home defense?

Hand under the shirt pointing like a gun is your answer.

I have no weapons at home, dont need em cause im teh 275 with 5% body fat. Also in Australia no one who doesn't live in a rural area really has guns.

Be sure and stay planted when you shoot. Keep your cool, aim.

It needs to have a caliber and size that can be handled by a 15-year-old sister, and my mom. I'd like to get something that also would do decently at the range and not give me a ton of issues like feeding, cycling, etc.
I'm not really looking to spend more than 400$ bucks on something I will most likely give away.

My parent's house has been broken into around 2-3 times in the last few months and miscellaneous knives and whatnot don't leave me exactly feeling protected nor does my family. Especially when we had one event were a group of 5 people attempted to make their way into their other home at 10 am in the morning and we just all happened to be home at the time.

I had to go over there and clear the house out with nothing more than a trench knife two days ago, and I'm a small dude with a 67-inch reach.

Get a mossberg maverick in 20 gauge for the ladies.

AR15 if you are serious. Pistols are only good to fight your way to your rifle.

I’d be a lot more afraid to live in a house where a 15 year old girl and your mom have access to a gun than anyone breaking in

I'm a fan of the S&W Model 686+ for revolvers, and the Sig Sauer P226 MK25 for semiauto.

I have a S&W Shield 9mm because I have smallish hands. @HI SCOTT NEWMAN

rwgrer.png

My vote is a pump or semi auto 20 gauge. Buckshot loads.
Only drawback is you're gonna l9se street cred not being able to hold it sideways when you shoot.
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/sta...trols-matte-black-finish/FC-854581007220.html

I remember someone saying there isn't a person on earth who won't shit their pants at the sound of a 12 gauge pump being cocked. Cant be much different for a semi auto, but it's gonna have some kick

Whatever you choose, don't look at it like a $400 investment and then you're done. You need a proper quick access safe and everyone who's going to potentially use it to put down a BG needs a lot of training.

Also have to say an axe is a good idea.

Iv seen people not give a fuck about guns or about risk of getting shot.

But every guy that saw an axe stopped immediatly

Tactical tomahawk.

AR15 if you are serious. Pistols are only good to fight your way to your rifle.

Only if you want to kill the intruders,your family in adjacent rooms, and maybe a neighbor or two as well.

TS, If you opt for the shotgun, ensure you get shells that have low penetration (IE not 00 buck or slugs) as a shotgun is a rifle sub 50 yards. They make special rounds that aren't likely to gp through sheet rock and drywall.

I'd go with a 9mm with some decent self defense rounds. Glocks are a little rough for new gun owners just due to the lack of safety features. S&W has some good deals on the Shield right now, 200 bucks after rebate, probably about 235 all in with shipping and FFL transfer at Palmetto State Armory.

Lots of options for your intended purposes.

Last edited:
For home defense? Hell no. No one suggests anything smaller than a .380 I wouldn’t go smaller than 9mm personally. Check out something like a Ruger LC9 or Taurus Millennium Pro.

A .22 with CCI Stingers is a good option. Whatever you get, they need to practice with it. In many states, it's illegal for those under 18 to use a handgun so for a 15 year old to legally use it, it might have to be a rifle or shotgun. It's also more difficult for someone to shoot themselves with a long gun. Put a laser site on it, then all they have to do is put the dot on the target and pull the trigger.

Only if you want to kill the intruders and your family in adjacent rooms, maybe a neighbor or two as well.

TS, If you opt for the shotgun, ensure you get shells that have low penetration (IE not 00 buck or slugs) as a shotgun is a rifle sub 50 yards. They make special rounds that aren't likely to gp through sheet rock and drywall.

Every projectile goes through drywall. The "low penetration" rounds also have low penetration into people.

Shotguns are difficult for smaller people: women/children as the OP dictated. Recoil, noise, etc. slow follow up shots.

Take a look at the carbine for women. In heads up comparison the carbine wins every time.

I'd go with a 9mm with some decent self defense rounds. Glocks are a little rough for new gun owners just due to the lack of safety features. S&W has some good deals on the Shield right now, 200 bucks after rebate, probably about 235 all in with shipping and FFL transfer at Palmetto State Armory.

Lots of options for your intended purposes.

9mm has the exact same penetration problem you described above.

Go with carbine. It is more accurate than a handgun and thus less likely to go into a neighbor, etc.

Get a mossberg maverick in 20 gauge for the ladies.

Not a bad idea actually. For the Maverick's price, he can buy two of them and have double the fun.

Mossberg-23571.jpg

Revolver is the only answer.

Get a .22

View attachment 664699

I reluctantly bought one of the because the smith and Wesson was a couple hundred more dollars. What a piece of shit it was.

Broke after less than 40 rds through it. Sent it in for repair and never shot it again. It’ll be the first and last Taurus I ever own.

They quietly got rid of their transferable lifetime warranty a while back too. Shit company with shit products.

Would you recommend just storing the shotgun under your bed if you don't have a safe? Where would you recommend for storage as a weapons expert if one didn't have a safe?

You need somewhere to securely store a gun of any type. If you have no kids, leaving one readily available when you're home is your preference but when your not there it needs to be secured somewhere. Hidden is not secure.

This is my idea of the perfect home defense weapon system.
4847b246525314a9723fd267842ab74d.jpg

ALG needs to stop fucking around and start building the 6 Second Mount again.

Back