Whats a decent pistol for home defense?

If your going to get one gun and it’s strictly for home defense, spend the money and get a reliable 9mm. Budget guns don’t save you thay much, especially once you factor in resale value of you ever tried to sell it.
You can get Gen 3 or 4 Glock 17/19s for pretty cheap these days. Or any of the copies (XD, P10c, M&P etc). Saving a few bucks isn’t worth it when it comes to something you may end up betting your life on that it’s going to work when you need it to.
9mm pistol is gonna kick right out of a 15yr old girls hands.

For fuck sake.

For fuck sake.

Definitely not.

You have to teach them how to use it, as you should anyway if you have guns in the house or expect them to defend themselves.

@ 54 seconds

I've seen girls younger than this shooting more powerful rounds than 9mm.

For fuck sake.
Your basis for selection shouldn’t be what an untrained 15 year old girl can handle. If you’re going to be expect her to defend your home and family, you can’t plan to throw her a gun with no training and expect a good outcome.
There’s no reason a 15 year old girl can’t handle a full size 9mm. She’s going to need some training of course, that should all be part of a package deal if you’re going to put a responsibility like this on her.

Definitely not.

You have to teach them how to use it, as you should anyway if you have guns in the house or expect them to defend themselves.

@ 54 seconds

I've seen girls younger than this shooting more powerful rounds than 9mm.

I’m almost positive I’ve shot a USPSA match this girl was at. And she was younger and shooting a full size M&P IIRC.

That cracks me up that the "sports" of shooting and fishing have dedicated athletic apparel now.

Your basis for selection shouldn’t be what an untrained 15 year old girl can handle. If you’re going to be expect her to defend your home and family, you can’t plan to throw her a gun with no training and expect a good outcome.
There’s no reason a 15 year old girl can’t handle a full size 9mm. She’s going to need some training of course, that should all be part of a package deal if you’re going to put a responsibility like this on her.
Your basis for reasoning assumes the OP will train them instead of just sticking a Gun in the house which is the most likely outcome

Few people take the time to do so and you should use that understanding for your recommendations

That cracks me up that the "sports" of shooting and fishing have dedicated athletic apparel now.
I love it when I outfish locals in sponsor apparel they bought in a tee shirt

I love it when I outfish locals in sponsor apparel they bought in a tee shirt

I used to live in a neighborhood with a community catch and release lake. Fished it all the time, bait fishing, specifically hot dogs.

Anyway there was this family day/restock event. This pro was there all dressed up teaching people lure fishing and he wasn't bringing in anything. Meanwhile my friend and I (like 14 years old at the time) probably caught 5-6 channel catfish, multiple blue gill, grass carp and tilapia in like an hour.

Smith and wesson SD9 with hollow point ammo. Basically an american made glock.

Your basis for reasoning assumes the OP will train them instead of just sticking a Gun in the house which is the most likely outcome

Few people take the time to do so and you should use that understanding for your recommendations
It’s not the basis of my recommendation. It is my recommendation. Training a 15 year old to shoot a 9mm isn’t hard or a monumental task at all. If you’re going to put an expectation or responsibility for someone to defend your home, it’s pretty terrible advice to skip training all together and just buy a caliber that is universally decreed as insufficient for the task your designating it for.

Sponsorship is sponsorship my dude. If it pays the bills........
upload_2019-10-30_23-46-57.jpeg

no judgement if someone is being paid to wear something. The ones who crack me up are the recreational participants who wear that type of stuff.

Ahhh....I got you. Yeah it’s fucking dumb.

One of these would be a lot more effective in preventing home-invasion than a gun:

Street criminals aren't really scared of joe-homeowner with gun in the closet--heck they'd like the chance to steal it. But everybody is terrified of 100+ lbs of muscle and teeth that can hear/smell you before you even get through the door.

Guns can't prevent home-invasion they can only give you a fighting chance if things escalate to violence. Personally if I lived somewhere that has the sort of problems you describe, I'd move.
Truth.

Get two:
Female for watch.
Male for savagery.

230 lbs of Roman/German perfection will handle just about anything coming through the door. Only natural predator is PoPo with a warrant. Even then there are stories of entire mags being emptied to stop Rotties and Pitties guarding their homes.

@ts
as for choices:
Best - 12g shotgun

Second - full size model (not compact) 45 ACP pistol, not an oldschool 1911 as the mag capacity is too limited. You should choose a reputable manufacturer as your life depends on a reliable firearm. HK, Sig, Glock, and CZ are exceptional weapons and you can rest assured that a malfunction is overwhelmingly likely user error.

if it needs be easily handled and fired by younger/smaller people i'd say a PCC, MP5 pistol with brace, or AR pistol chambered in 9mm w/ brace personally.

One of these would be a lot more effective in preventing home-invasion than a gun:

Street criminals aren't really scared of joe-homeowner with gun in the closet--heck they'd like the chance to steal it. But everybody is terrified of 100+ lbs of muscle and teeth that can hear/smell you before you even get through the door.

Guns can't prevent home-invasion they can only give you a fighting chance if things escalate to violence. Personally if I lived somewhere that has the sort of problems you describe, I'd move.
citation needed. the active self protection channel on youtube has plenty of evidence that contradicts you.

i don't get this mindset. violent criminals won't be afraid of a person with a gun, but a dog will scare them off...

you know, my neighborhood has a lot of weirdos and creepers in it, i'd like to move, but it's not quite that easy to just up and move...

Also have to say an axe is a good idea.

Iv seen people not give a fuck about guns or about risk of getting shot.

But every guy that saw an axe stopped immediatly
where exactly are you seeing all this?

where exactly are you seeing all this?

growing up in one of the most criminal neighbouhoods in saint petersburg russia,then about 6 years as a criminal myself plus 2 years as a bouncer.

not bragging because its nothing to brag about, just answering your question

Back