Whats a decent pistol for home defense?

Mossberg 510 Mini Super Bantam 20 Gauge Pump Shotgun with Muddy Girl Stock

38337-DEFAULT-l.jpg

ins_Youth500_505_510-EZreach.jpg

lWIqAgL.gif

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsupers...m-20-gauge-pump-shotgun-with-muddy-girl-stock

Last edited:
Get something that fits your hand and doesn't overwhelm you with recoil. 9mm with hollow points will drop someone.

This post should be moved to Weapons and Tactics.

I suggest a full size 9mm. Full size guns absorb recoil better for small frame shooters.

9mm is affordable to shot at the range and practice with as well.

You can also safely store it in a quick vault safe for secure and quick access. Can't do that with a shotgun without getting a full size safe or a wall mount with a lock.

I went with a Glock 26 Gen4. My father in law gave me a choice between that & a S&W Bodyguard .380. And, after trying them both out I liked the feel of the Glock a lot more. It fits in my hand better & I felt a lot more comfortable operating it.
But, what's right for me isn't necessarily going to be right for you. I'm brand new to the whole firearms scene myself. In fact, had you told me that I'd be a handgun owner a year ago I'd have called you crazy. But, things change when you move to semi-rural Arizona & your new father in law strongly feels that a man should own a firearm to protect his loved ones & property.

I suggest a full size 9mm. Full size guns absorb recoil better for small frame shooters.

You can also safely store it in a quick vault safe for secure and quick access. Can't do that with a shotgun without getting a full size safe or a wall mount with a lock.

Would you recommend just storing the shotgun under your bed if you don't have a safe? Where would you recommend for storage as a weapons expert if one didn't have a safe?

One of these would be a lot more effective in preventing home-invasion than a gun:

Street criminals aren't really scared of joe-homeowner with gun in the closet--heck they'd like the chance to steal it. But everybody is terrified of 100+ lbs of muscle and teeth that can hear/smell you before you even get through the door.

Guns can't prevent home-invasion they can only give you a fighting chance if things escalate to violence. Personally if I lived somewhere that has the sort of problems you describe, I'd move.

This is a good point. I've seen a few different interviews and studies that indicate that a large dog is the best deterrent. I wouldn't personally recommend a rott, but I'm biased having had GSDs for most of my life. Also, I'd still have a gun.

Get one with a standard stock or a pistol grip with a stock (depending where the safety is on your shotgun can make a pistol grip good or not so natural feeling).

Also I'd suggest NOT getting a super bad ass looking tactical shotgun with all the fixins on it. I have a normal 20" stainless shotgun with a tactical light on the front. It doesn't look so "scary" and therefore could help me in a courtroom trial ....should I ever had to use it.

For example you go on trial for shooting someone (even in your own house) with a shotgun like the first pic below you may get some jurors thinking you are some gun nut just waiting for someone to come near your house so you could blow them away.

You have a shotgun like the one in my 2nd pic and it could be a normal hunting shotgun that you just happen to have handy at home when someone broke into your house.
997bb571d59a0f8e77299169ac0cda34.jpg

Just put a nice tactical light on the bottom/side of this.
image209876-620ec7e25456a0b23dec94d7f8f0ad88.jpg

How'd they break in? Maybe spend money on fixing that access point?

The local news featured this white guy who moved to Maui and first night there were attacked by a group of locals who beat him and his uncle in law up. He had a gun, but chose not to shoot the attackers, threw the gun away at the beach, then was beaten unconscious. One of the attackers later beat someone else to brain damage. He should have at least shot them in the dicks.

Seems like something that has more bullets than revolver would be better.

Listen to this man.

Glock 17 with home defense ammo, a mounted light, night sights, and tons of practice.

If price for the Glock is too rich, then a full sized Canik TP9, or Ruger Security 9. And again, practice practice practice. Every single person living with this weapon should know how to handle it properly.

Although, a Mossberg Shockwave with a pistol brace set up is a sweet deal too if you step it down to 20ga for the younger folks. It's literally like owning a short barrel shotgun without the illegality.
upload_2019-10-21_18-15-9.jpeg

PS- It will be loud, and scary. Might even stun yourself if you're not careful.

For home defense? Hell no. No one suggests anything smaller than a .380 I wouldn’t go smaller than 9mm personally. Check out something like a Ruger LC9 or Taurus Millennium Pro.
10-22 with a helfire and a big clip will mess up some home intruders and not kick out of a 15yr old girls hands

It needs to have a caliber and size that can be handled by a 15-year-old sister, and my mom. I'd like to get something that also would do decently at the range and not give me a ton of issues like feeding, cycling, etc.
I'm not really looking to spend more than 400$ bucks on something I will most likely give away.

My parent's house has been broken into around 2-3 times in the last few months and miscellaneous knives and whatnot don't leave me exactly feeling protected nor does my family. Especially when we had one event were a group of 5 people attempted to make their way into their other home at 10 am in the morning and we just all happened to be home at the time.

I had to go over there and clear the house out with nothing more than a trench knife two days ago, and I'm a small dude with a 67-inch reach.

1911 Kimber warrior

Also have to say an axe is a good idea.

Iv seen people not give a fuck about guns or about risk of getting shot.

But every guy that saw an axe stopped immediatly

Agreed, swords too.

I have this:

537-2%20Belgian%20Flintlock-Pistol_2.jpg

And something akin to this:

CIXH1073N_a1.jpg

But obviously also bows, knives and nunchaku everywhere, spiked bat, etc etc.

The one that feels right in your hand and you can confidently handle and operate under duress

Also have to say an axe is a good idea.

Iv seen people not give a fuck about guns or about risk of getting shot.

But every guy that saw an axe stopped immediatly

And make sure you double wield them....
c2dwbT.gif

Back