Whats a decent pistol for home defense?

I would go for a 38 special revolver. 4 inch barrel. No safety to fool with in the heat of the moment. No rack to slide. Just pull the trigger. Small recoil.

Double action revolvers require a committed pull compared to a semi auto. This will minimize accidental firing in an intense situation.
Good points and good caliber for home defense.

Good points and good caliber for home defense.

Yea man. Plus revolvers require little maintenance, and are super dependable. Only argument made against them for home defense is capacity. But few intruders are going to be sticking around after a couple rounds go whizzing by them.

Yea man. Plus revolvers require little maintenance, and are super dependable. Only argument made against them for home defense is capacity. But few intruders are going to be sticking around after a couple rounds go whizzing by them.
True , first shots they’ll be running or down

Agreed. If you have a group of intruders coming in and you need to go through more than 6 rounds you are probably screwed anyway. Also, obviously you can get speed loaders which help a lot. Not as fast as a semi auto of course. Plus in the heat of the moment no safety or slide or anything. In fact I really need to get one to add to my collection......oh wait, I live in California :(

Glock 34 with a factory 33 round mag. <Moves>

It should boil down to whatever a person is most comfortable with. I prefer a 9mm sig sauer or beretta.

AR or AK pistol with hollowpoints. Not a shotgun fan but its better than a handgun ,imo. For handguns 9mm, .40 , .45 acp or .357 Sig and platform is entirely a personal preference with Glock , HK Vp9 , Walther PPQ , S&W M&P , Sig p226 , Beretta M9/92, CZ P07/P10, Canik , CZ75, Browning Hi-power etc all are decent. I dont recommend Hi-points , they are the vagrant hobos of the firearm world.

Back