What does Reyes need to improve to win the rematch?

There's a lot of delusion in this thread talmbout he couldn't have done anything but cardio better. What? The guy missed like 70% of his strikes and was flailing around like a novice the two times that Jones turned it up and started tagging him a bit.

I'm not saying he lost. I think he won 1, 2, and 3. I'm just saying that there is obviously room to improve.

Reyes won 3-2 no brainer if you are unbiased..

however, he LAID THE FUCK DOWN in 4/5. DIDNT do shit. Took the rounds off. Coasted. Really really really dumb

No way. This upstanding young man has waaaay more integrity and positivity towards others. A child between Jones and Conor would be a complete and utter asshole - if he even managed to survive with such ego-maniacal parents.
Lol, you made me laugh dude.You sure seem to hate em good.

There's a lot of delusion in this thread talmbout he couldn't have done anything but cardio better. What? The guy missed like 70% of his strikes and was flailing around like a novice the two times that Jones turned it up and started tagging him a bit.

I'm not saying he lost. I think he won 1, 2, and 3. I'm just saying that there is obviously room to improve.
Theoretically, everybody can improve in every area.

Reyes won 3-2 no brainer if you are unbiased..

however, he LAID THE FUCK DOWN in 4/5. DIDNT do shit. Took the rounds off. Coasted. Really really really dumb
Gassed out. Did a good work not getting outworked badly or KOd in the last two rounds. Thy guy did tremendously using his limited skill set, tools and experience, considering that he is not even a pro athlete, this is hobby for him. Nobody gave him more than a puncher's chance.

Cardio, that's it. One other thing, actually - every time Jones literally turns his back and sprints away (2-3 times in that fight), Reyes should throw his hands in the air and really accentuate it to the judges and the referee. Make a point of mocking him for it, and that might subconsciously strike a chord with a judge or two.

He needs better cardio. He has everything else. I'm Jones fan but this fight was close and I judged 3:2 favor of Reyes.

there is nothing wrong with the cardio of Reyes.
It's a false narrative.
Reyes had a lot of volume in the first 3 rounds. Jones was pressuring and wasn't throwing a lot.
There is nothing wrong with the cardio of Reyes looking at the volume he was throwing.
Jones gameplan was to make Reyes work with pressure like Mayweather did against Conrat. Don't throw much and walk forward.
But Jones underestimated Reyes stand up game and also his cardio. Jones thought he would gass Reyes out and knock him out or submit him in the 4th round.
Even stopping takedown and getting up shows there is nothing wrong with the cardio of Reyes.
The only thing he has to change is not throwing a lot of misses in the first round and not going for knock outs.
If Reyes has a mindset of 5 rounds and only throw punches that have a high chance of landing he will win the fight.
The only thing Reyes has to change is to focus fully on a 5 round fight and don't look for knock outs. Because he wasted a lot of energy trying to take him out abd even chasing him
But i think Reyes knowns now how good the chin is of Jones and he will only think 5 rounds in his next camp.

Imo Santos was closer than this. Hadnt he lost his knees in the fight Imo he could have won. Reyes started good (or Jones started slow) but couldnt keep the pace and hit a lot of air.
He looks like a bigger version of mcgregor but with better tdd and a bit more heart. One move, good but not tremendous power, meh cardio.
Once Jones figured him out he was done. Imo jj subs him in a rematch

Only argument I see for Jones is you have to TAKE the belt. If it’s even somewhat close I agree with giving it to the champ. It makes sense on some crazy level, the fight was far from a blow out on either side. On top of that the ufc has more invested in Jones, so it’s logical they’d favor him.

Can’t wait for the rematch, it’s going to be a huge draw, and that’s probably why the decision went the way it did. Or at the very least a pro to the current situation.

better gas tank, and a better fight IQ to realize the 4th and 5th rds are vital to winning the fight.

If he gets Jones to turn his back to him again he should either take Jones' back or kick him in the legs from behind.

Not that this is a real gameplan, but it might be effective.

Otherwise he should just pace himself slightly better and do less head hunting (he missed 128 of 169 strikes) and work Jones legs and body more with kicks imo.
My concern is that if octagon control was the factor of him losing now he'll take the center and Jones td's is more dangerous when you're unable to have your back to the cage. I mean his td defence is awesome but it is def riskier when you don't have the cage to assist you but I think he gets up anyway.

You can't pace your self against Jones, otherwise Jones will pressure you and you will lose the round. Reyes fought the perfect fight for 3 rounds and then also did excelent in the 4th and 5th with the little gas he had left.

This is not Pride rules.

Jones doesn't have high fight IQ, Jackson WInkle feeds him everything. I believe that Jones without his team would not even be top 15.

By that Rhetoric at least over half of Jackson/Wink fighters would show high fight IQ when only Jones in that camp is ever considered to have great fight IQ.
I agree with everything else 100% but this is a false narrative.

Last edited:
I think he figured out he can put Bones away in 1 or 2 if he stayed on the gas and didn't plan on point fighting 25 min.

lol what? Jones is Getting put away what the hell are you talking about? How many times have you even seen him hurt in any fight in the last 10 years? He doesn’t get hurt.

Nothing. If they fight the exact same fight, the judges will know how to score the fight this time around.

If we put that aside, Reyes needs to improve his cardio for one more round. If he wins the 4th round convincingly too, he can coast the 5th, nobody can take a 4:1 win away from him. Assuming that Jones can't improve his game for the rematch and will fight exactly like the last time.
Fight IQ and pace. Jones baited him into swinging wildly in the early rounds where he missed 80% of his shots and gassed hard. He should try to move forward, take more selective/targeted shots - and maintain build his gas tank to have something left for the later rounds. Jones will evolve too though so who the hell knows what will work - Jones has been a nightmare in rematches.

I disagree. He needs to work on his popularity.
Millions of social media followers might actually push him over the hump next time.

Maybe he can drape himself in a Mexican flag at all times. Get some coveted Latino fans that the UFC craves.

I think it took Jones by surprise, that the new LHWs Are much better than the Gustafssons, Hammils, DCs or Bonnars that he hardly had to train for.

We will see a much more prepared Jones this time, so I think Reyes closing a few holes will not be enough. If anything, his cardio should be the first step, but it seems he needed to go full speed to be competitive, so his cardio might already be world class for all we know. Jones does great in rematches.

Back