What does Reyes need to improve to win the rematch?

work on his cardio is the most obvious, in order to beat Jones you need to be able to keep a very heavy pace for 5 rounds without fading, something i don't think any LHW on the roster is capable of except Jones himself

be more economical with his movement, you could tell he was wasting a shit ton of energy moving around while Jones was using next to none just stalking him

utilize more kicks and work on his clinch work

Nothing. If they fight the exact same fight, the judges will know how to score the fight this time around.

If we put that aside, Reyes needs to improve his cardio for one more round. If he wins the 4th round convincingly too, he can coast the 5th, nobody can take a 4:1 win away from him. Assuming that Jones can't improve his game for the rematch and will fight exactly like the last time.

He needs to improve the judges.

He needs to be Jon Jones so that he’ll be gifted the victory

You're just giving him zero credit here. Gus didn't get tired, he got smashed with a massive elbow after Jon faked a shot and got him to drop his hands. Jon then proceeded to win that fifth round big.

Since Gus would drop his hands to defend his shots in the first fight and knowing that he benefited by the fake then strike tactic back then, Jon started faking shots heavily in their second fight. However, instead of ever throwing the big strike, he committed 100% to a shot that Gus wasn't anticipating.

He worked DC with body kicks and knees so heavily in the first fight that DC brought up his eventual demise at a press confrence to their second. Jon worked him again with them in the second fight, got him to drop his hands and then landed a massive headkick.

There's other examples that I can give, but I know that you're just going to chalk this up to Jackson. And, while he no doubt had a huge part since he is a great coach, Jon was the one in the cage, and I have little doubt that he had major input on all of these gameplans.

You are right, that leg kick gameplan against DC was all Jackson too :)
You gotta understand, Jonny is just a student. He executes what they tell him. And he is JW best student so far. And right now the only one.
Also, his team can't help him in the tough fights in which he had no answer. They are no good in finding solution fast, they need a lot of time to come out with a gameplan.

You are right, that leg kick gameplan against DC was all Jackson too :)
You gotta understand, Jonny is just a student. He executes what they tell him. And he is JW best student so far. And right now the only one.
Also, his team can't help him in the tough fights in which he had no answer. They are no good in finding solution fast, they need a lot of time to come out with a gameplan.

Well like I said, he pulled it out of the fire against Gus the first time around on the fly. I think the guy has a phenomenal fight IQ because I'm positive he has input on all of these gameplans. It's not like Greg walks in and is like "alright Jon shut up, here's what you're doing." They sit down together and watch the tape meticulously.

Who are a few guys you say have great fight IQ if not Jon? The only two I'd probably put above him off the top of my head are GSP and Sakuraba.

Nothing. If they fight the exact same fight, the judges will know how to score the fight this time around.

If we put that aside, Reyes needs to improve his cardio for one more round. If he wins the 4th round convincingly too, he can coast the 5th, nobody can take a 4:1 win away from him. Assuming that Jones can't improve his game for the rematch and will fight exactly like the last time.

Cardio lol. He laid off the gas in the 4th and 5th rounds. Especially the 5th, he literally threw that fight in the 5th round and everyone here knew it.

Looking at the first fight, there's not much he could have done better besides score more in the last two rounds. In the rematch, he's going to have to add a new wrinkle to his game. Although he was amazing in this last fight, he can't expect to exploit the same holes in Jones's game in a rematch. If he does, he'll suffer the same fate as Gus did in their rematch. Gus thought he was going to engage in boxing range just like their first fight, and Jones wisely used kicks to stay out of range. I don't think Jones will chase Reyes again, because he knows that Reyes will use that aggression against him. Reyes was in phenomenal shape in the first fight, but he'll have to raise his cardio to an even higher level for the rematch. I think having one championship fight under his belt will also help him. He didn't let the moment overwhelm him, and I think he's going to be even more comfortable the second time around.

I think he figured out he can put Bones away in 1 or 2 if he stayed on the gas and didn't plan on point fighting 25 min.

I disagree completely. There were a few times where he ran after Bones and swung haymakers, never getting close to finishing him. If he hadn't had done that he probably would've had more energy to win round 4.

Keep a reasonable pace and try to win the later rounds.

He needs to work on Finishing moves and cardio if he ever wants to beat Jones

Cardio, but everything really. He's only 5 years into his career, definitely isn't at his peak form yet.

I think he figured out he can put Bones away in 1 or 2 if he stayed on the gas and didn't plan on point fighting 25 min.
Terrible idea tbh
Jones have very good chin and even greater will/heart, plus he's good defensively at get out of troubles

If Reyes tried to finish Jones in 2 rounds, he will have probably failed and found himself gassed in R3
Jones then will have won 3-4-5 and even a not bullshit judges trio will have scored it for JJ

He needs to start pulsing so he can have great cardio in rounds 4 and 5.

Cardio for one. For the championship rounds

Cardio and less head hunting. He missed too many shots head hunting and that wastes energy. When he landed, he did hurt jones though and had him panicking, so make them count.

jones jones hasnt improved his boxing since ever, that is a massive fact. His gameplaning and his fighting IQ is the best in the game.
His boxing look improved in this fight. He was slipping punches more than I was used to seeing.

Well, he probably needs to improve his gas tank as I'm pretty confident that Jones will make some adjustments. Or, could be that Jones is simply too arrogant to recognize his defeat (what he says publicly is another thing) and he will have the same gameplan and training camp and Reyes will likely win the decision.

Back