What does Reyes need to improve to win the rematch?

Judging.

As far as things he can control- pace, cardio and he could check/avoid kicks better.

If he gets Jones to turn his back to him again he should either take Jones' back or kick him in the legs from behind.

Not that this is a real gameplan, but it might be effective.

Otherwise he should just pace himself slightly better and do less head hunting (he missed 128 of 169 strikes) and work Jones legs and body more with kicks imo.
At least you can admit most what he threw didnt land...

At least you can admit most what he threw didnt land...
I mean it's literally in the official stats.
Reyes still outlanded Jon and hit him with some pretty big shots.

But yes, Reyes undoubtedly missed lots of strikes.

I mean it's literally in the official stats.
Reyes still outlanded Jon and hit him with some pretty big shots.

But yes, Reyes undoubtedly missed lots of strikes.
i had it 2-2 going into 5th one thing is for sure Reyes is real deal

lol what? Jones is Getting put away what the hell are you talking about? How many times have you even seen him hurt in any fight in the last 10 years? He doesn’t get hurt.
He wasn't far from extreme panic

Cardio so he can go 5 rounds effectively. And also pace himself better in the early rounds and pick his shots better. He threw and landed a lot, but also missed a lot.

He needs to figure out how to finish strong in a 5-rounder.

I think he needs to “coast” in an earlier round like round 3 (Khabib does this) in order to get steam again for the last two rounds. That or epo.

Nothing. If they fight the exact same fight, the judges will know how to score the fight this time around.

If we put that aside, Reyes needs to improve his cardio for one more round. If he wins the 4th round convincingly too, he can coast the 5th, nobody can take a 4:1 win away from him. Assuming that Jones can't improve his game for the rematch and will fight exactly like the last time.
Honestly...all he needs to do is what he did but for 1 extra round to eliminate any controversy.

So, instead of outpointing him for 3 rounds(1 which was a little questionable), out point him for 4. If 1 is still questionable, simple math says 3 rounds beats 2.

Let's be honest, Reyes won that fight in a lot of people eyes. I don't really care what the judges thought in this matchup, i can speculate that bias is a huge part of judging. technically and officially, Jones won...but Reyes outscored him in 1,2,&3 in my opinion. Numbers don't lie.

On the flip side, as Joe said, if this were a fight till death fight, quite possible Jones wins it. In a backyard brawl, he made the point that the person who gets pulled off is generally considered the winner.

Well we know Jones always improves on the rematches and win. So no there is nothing Reyes can do but lose.

I think he needs to “coast” in an earlier round like round 3 (Khabib does this) in order to get steam again for the last two rounds. That or epo.
Well I think if it's obvious you win 1&2, then coasting in 3 isn't that bad of an idea. However, are you certain coasting doesn't also give the opponent even more of a break?

My approach might be a similar, but i would coast through the first 3 minutes of round 3 and play conservative. If at that point I feel my opponent didn't do much, I would turn it up in the last 2 min to try to win the round. If I feel my opponent has convincingly already did a lot, I may just keep conservative and eat the round. In that case, the goal is to make him use more energy all that while you don't and minimize damage at the same time.

I think the thing about gameplans to consider is that you need to be able to adapt and adjust depending on how the fight goes. That sounds easy from an outside perspective, but from the fighters perspective it might be a lot different.

Well I think if it's obvious you win 1&2, then coasting in 3 isn't that bad of an idea. However, are you certain coasting doesn't also give the opponent even more of a break?

My approach might be a similar, but i would coast through the first 3 minutes of round 3 and play conservative. If at that point I feel my opponent didn't do much, I would turn it up in the last 2 min to try to win the round. If I feel my opponent has convincingly already did a lot, I may just keep conservative and eat the round. In that case, the goal is to make him use more energy all that while you don't and minimize damage at the same time.

I think the thing about gameplans to consider is that you need to be able to adapt and adjust depending on how the fight goes. That sounds easy from an outside perspective, but from the fighters perspective it might be a lot different.

Well of course many variables “in fight” are going to change any game plan and the dance partner kinda has to follow a certain pattern for it to work. Reyes and his team had a great plan for being to be not only score on Jones but neutralize some of his go-to shit.

Jones has the far, far more experienced coaching staff and the amount of championship fights Jack/Wink have under their belts have helped them dissect the 5-rounder. They have put together those adaptive game-plans, backup plans, and a complete understanding of fighting energy consumption.

Shout out to Joe “Daddy” for doing what he did out of his little gym getting Reyes ready. Joe was a fucking lil savage himself in his prime.

Nothing. If they fight the exact same fight, the judges will know how to score the fight this time around.

If we put that aside, Reyes needs to improve his cardio for one more round. If he wins the 4th round convincingly too, he can coast the 5th, nobody can take a 4:1 win away from him. Assuming that Jones can't improve his game for the rematch and will fight exactly like the last time.
Stop running and actually engage on his own without being chased down to fight. Stop wanting a gift decision when you are some goofy looking contender.

Stop running and actually engage on his own without being chased down to fight. Stop wanting a gift decision when you are some goofy looking contender.
I'm not convinced what he did wasn't necessary to contend with Jones. Look, let's not forget Jones is a really good wrestler and has an incredible reach.

Reyes was phenomenal.
He fought great. He is not phenomenal, not yet.

Only argument I see for Jones is you have to TAKE the belt. If it’s even somewhat close I agree with giving it to the champ. It makes sense on some crazy level, the fight was far from a blow out on either side. On top of that the ufc has more invested in Jones, so it’s logical they’d favor him.

Can’t wait for the rematch, it’s going to be a huge draw, and that’s probably why the decision went the way it did. Or at the very least a pro to the current situation.
Ian is next. Reyes deserves it, but nobody likes rematches.

By that Rhetoric at least over half of Jackson/Wink fighters would show high fight IQ when only Jones in that camp is ever considered to have great fight IQ.
I agree with everything else 100% but this is a false narrative.
Jones has that potential. You are born with it.

I think it took Jones by surprise, that the new LHWs Are much better than the Gustafssons, Hammils, DCs or Bonnars that he hardly had to train for.

We will see a much more prepared Jones this time, so I think Reyes closing a few holes will not be enough. If anything, his cardio should be the first step, but it seems he needed to go full speed to be competitive, so his cardio might already be world class for all we know. Jones does great in rematches.
No dude, an IT technician who's hobby is mma and trains mma for 5 years in a garage is not the new breed. Jones has slowed down.

giphy.gif

Conditioning and making sure he gets judges that are actually watching the fight/know what theyre watching

Conditioning and making sure he gets judges that are actually watching the fight/know what theyre watching

Some interview I watched yesterday, somebody said there are only a dozen competent judges and referees on us soil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back