What does Du Plessis need to improve upon before fighting Strickland?

Combat Wombatt

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I have never seen a Du Plessis fight so I pulled up his fight against Till. He looked gassed (although he's apparently had surgery with his nose that will help that). His ground control could use some work. Till reversed him at least once and he looked a bit sloppy on the feet.

What does Du Plessis need to improve upon before fighting Strickland?

Maybe cardio, but at the end of the day its just Strickland.
“Just Strickland” lol

image.gif.7e77bd4d038102caf741a89e79aa4c8e.gif

Blowing his cardio early is overblown a bit since his opponents gas out worse BUT I doubt Strickland goes to war and gasses in round 1 since hes very measured so DDP will need to fight a bit smarter than he did against Whittaker who seemed to wilt from the power and strength which I don't think Strickland will do because his defence is air tight.

My biggest key for a gameplan for DDP would be pacing. If Strickland was the type to gas from pressure he would've lost to Abus.

Honestly he's been looking good so far.

Just a few weeks before a fight isn't really enough time to up your skills – that part should be all wrapped up by now. What's key at this stage is focused training, working on specific fight scenarios. Getting Strickland on the ground and making sure he stays there ought to be a big part of that plan.

I think he's just gotta keep doing what he's doing. He's in his head.. I think it's more on Strickland fixing his mind.

What does Strickland need to improve before fighting Du Plessis?
Nothing aside from takedown defense. In a standing fight I can't see DDP doing anything against Strickland. He will look as clueless as Adesanya was. But on the ground he submits Strickland with ease. This fight is all about where it takes place. Ground or standing.

Ideally? cardio, pacing, body shots, offensive grappling, and takedowns.
The cardio and pacing because those will likely be big advantages for Sean, and Driscus will need them in the later rounds.
Body shots, grappling, and takedowns because it's really hard to crack Sean to the head or legs. His defense in those areas is top tier, so you'll need to attack the body and expose his stance with grappling (or the threat of).

I don’t think he’ll have the cardio for 5 hard rounds but if I was DDP, my strat would be to train the fyck out of wrestling and come out like GSP with relentless shooting, TD’s, and top control, best case scenario finding a sub or GnP stoppage. If he somehow exhausts Strickland and it’s now in the 4th, he switches focus to standup blitzing on a (maybe) tired and slowed Sean. Either that or replicate Pereira’s winning finisher comb.

Last edited:
Back