What can you do to "IMPROVE YOUR CHIN" so you don't get "knocked the hell out"?

a strong neck helps a little

yeah thats what i was going to say. you can do a few exercises on yer neck and that is supposed to help. BUt if a guy hits you on the right spot your probably goin to sleep or atleast in la la land anyway.

other then that sparring is really the best thing to do so you can get used to being hit over and over. most people who get hit once upside the head become a bit out of it because they are not used to getting hit. doesnt mean they are knocked out just spacey.

Conditioning is a big part of being able to recover quickly.

As for building up your 'chin', neck exercises are about all your can do, as reducing the lash when your jaw gets popped is crucial.

Dig up some of Farmer Burns' neck exercises & give it a try.

its all well and good to do the proper trainings to help out the jaw, but the big thing is knowing when your gonna be hit and being able to brace yourself and prepare for impact ,

Jack Dempsey used to chew on wood to strengthen his jaw; I prefer bubblegum. Neck bridges really build neck strength. Muhammad Ali took that a step further and was able to put all of his weight on his head upside down, an impressive feat. Bas Rutten always did alot of neck work.

Dempsey also used to put beef brine on his face to prevent cuts and make his skin like leather. Guy was a hard ass, don't know if it had any effect, but he was a hard-ass nevertheless.

Keep your mouth closed and your eyes open. Nothing else you can do.

improve strength of neck and learn how to tuck it better. Maybe learn how to not get hit would be a good start. Otherwise, just practice I guess.

It's more of a natural thing.

You have to train it !

Have somebody punch your jaw about 100 times each day until you get knocked out. After a couple of months you will see the difference, it will be twice as hard to knock you out !

bridge workouts - wrestlers do this alot.

all bones can grow, if you punch enough the bones in your fists harden, its your bodys way of adjusting.

im assuming the same principle applies for your mandible/maxilla
just punch yourself in the chin a lot, it'll get tougher.

Not sure if this subject has ever been brought up.

What can a person do to improve his chin so he is harder to knock out? I realize that some of this is genetic:

Build up your neck muscles.

Wont help your chin ( those directly on the chin style knockouts ala Lutter vs Eastman cant be improved ), but it will help you absorb more of the glancing, accumulation KOs because your head wont rattle around as much thus transmitting less force on your brain.

Those on-the-chin KOs are actually due to the shocking nerve impulse sent to your brain from the nerves that run over your chin to your teeth. Its very similar to bumping your elbow and having that shock-followed by numbness sensation but the impulse goes to your brain instead of your arm.

Stay light on your feet and move so you don't take the full power of the blow.

a strong neck helps a little

Aliev Makhmud (who lost his only MMA bout...) does an amazing exercise where his head remains planted on a mat and he 'hops' in circles around where his head is planted and continuously rotating - strengthening all directions at once.

He's a short, stocky Azeri and Olympic wrestler, so that's great for him. I would break my neck and die if I tried it.

Strong neck and strong muscles around the lower part of the face. Other than that it's either something you have or don't have but please, don't start punching yourself in the face to develop "toughness"

Wait...actually, you should. Go ahead and give it a try and let us know how you feel a few years from now.

Nothing. If something could be done, Pro-Elite would have heavily invested in things to benefit James Thompson.

strong neck. prevent the whip of your head as much.

exactly... most kos are because the head gets snapped around violently and the brain hits the inside of the skull causing unconsienceness... so strengthening the neck in different planes will help... george chuvalo who was never knocked down in a long boxing career attributed that to being able to take most punches to the top of the head area and protecting the beard area... I attribute this skill to guys like mark hunt and nog who seem to be able to take most punches to there forehead areas

do neck work outs or when u get punched kinda go the way the punch is gonna make ur head turn before u get punched to reduce the impact or u could just learn good defense

Not sure if this subject has ever been brought up.

What can a person do to improve his chin so he is harder to knock out? I realize that some of this is genetic:

1) Bone thickness and jaw size
2) Skull cap size and durability
3) Amount of cerebral fluid in the brain
4) Strength of the neck and length of the neck
5) Whether or not you tuck the chin
6) Some people even think growing a beard helps (hehe)

I've seen some people slap train or get lightly punched to slowly build toughness.

What can you do, or is this futile? What's the smartest way to change a glass jaw into a decent or good one?

I don't believe Leben has the right idea by letting his buddies punch him full power.

I did that once.... drunk off my ass of course. One of my friends punched me in my slack jaw (I was expecting a punch in the head) but he didn't KO me thank god.

Back