What can you do to "IMPROVE YOUR CHIN" so you don't get "knocked the hell out"?

I don't think you can do anything to train your chin, either you have a weak chin or a strong chin....

But hell I tried to strengthen my jaw so who knows.....

1. Increase neck size through excercise
2. Have good cardio for fast recovery
3. Chew huge wags of gum to increase jaw strength
4. Don't get hit in the jaw or temple

4. Don't get hit in the jaw or temple

Basically. Now that I think of it Anderson is always chewing gum.

keep shoulders up to avoid being hit from the side and like others said the stronger your jaw muscles the less your jaw will move, there is a nerve behind the jaw, like under where your ear is and when you get popped right on the chin it pushes the jaw back, if the jaw actually hits that nerve, thats what knocks you out,

and also why it its effective if you actually hit the person usually with a hook right on that spot for a KO (hence keeping your shoulders up to avoid being caught right there.)

there's a certain degree that your neck can bend back or forward before it pinches nerves which sometimes seems like a knock out too but thats rare

Nathan DeCamp wrote:

4. Don't get hit in the jaw or temple1

Good list. Let's add what some other guys wrote:

5) Bite hard to stabilize your jaw muscles.
6) Tuck your chin
7) Keep your hands up (Obvious enough)
8) Grow a beard (Does this really work if the beard is thick enough?)

SERIOUSLY:

Does a thick enough beard actually help or is that a big myth? Think Kimbo.

yeah I've heard weight training your neck can help a little. that may or may not be true though

Most knock outs are the result of your brain smashing against the inside of your skull. So having a strong neck may help reduce your head from moving violently causing your brain to shift.

keep shoulders up to avoid being hit from the side and like others said the stronger your jaw muscles the less your jaw will move, there is a nerve behind the jaw, like under where your ear is and when you get popped right on the chin it pushes the jaw back, if the jaw actually hits that nerve, thats what knocks you out,

and also why it its effective if you actually hit the person usually with a hook right on that spot for a KO (hence keeping your shoulders up to avoid being caught right there.)

there's a certain degree that your neck can bend back or forward before it pinches nerves which sometimes seems like a knock out too but thats rare

Great post! Thank you! I was waiting for someone to post this. An old karate instructor friend of mine used to say the same thing. Also, he would say 'Hit him in the jaw with a hook, try to spin his head around and you'll KO him'.

Employ the Joe Rogan method and grow yourself a larger head.

Go to your local rhinoplasty surgeon & have him add some denseness to your face & skull. According to joe rogan, the larger your head, the harder it is to get KOed. :icon_chee

slimphil: Most knock outs are the result of your brain smashing against the inside of your skull. So having a strong neck may help reduce your head from moving violently causing your brain to shift.

I agree. However, a flush shot to the chin knockout is different from a temple hit knockout which is different frum a concussion knockout.

I think the concussion knockout has a HUGE genetic component to it. The bigger your head, the thicker your bones and the more fluid you have between your brain and your skull cap, the better. Mark Hunt is SO DAMN lucky here.

Getting hit on the chin messes up your nervous system in a different way. You need a strong jaw to avoid getting laid to sleep.

Good points though.

Strngthening neck and jaw muscles can help a little, but the best "chins" are generally fighters that show little angles so no punch or kick lands completely flush. Anderson Silva is a good example of this.

Are you MORE susceptible to a knockout with a pillow on your face, or LESS susceptible?

Reasonable point. However, a pillow provides a hell of a lot more cushion than a beard-- especially the kind of beards they sometimes allow in fights.

A bunch of cotton balls on the chin might be a more reasonable comparison. HEHE

use some common sense.. if there really was a method to prevent getting knocked the hell out, professional fighters wouldn't get knocked the hell out right????

Back