What can you do to "IMPROVE YOUR CHIN" so you don't get "knocked the hell out"?

Nothing you can do but keep your hands and shoulders up, your chin down, change your levels and keep those feet a'movin.

gmoneysung: use some common sense.. if there really was a method to prevent getting knocked the hell out, professional fighters wouldn't get knocked the hell out right????

Surely you are intelligent enough to understand that we are looking for ways to REDUCE the probability of getting knocked out, not for a magical method to turn ourselves into superhuman creatures like Mark Hunt.

welli would say there is not a lot you can do, if you dont have a great chin the best thing to do would to work on being more of a elusive striker and getting used to counter striking and slips. Also perhaps just working on good defence and tecnhnique, you dont have to have a great chin to be a good mma striker but it does help.

It might... Kimbo's beard is like having a pillow strapped to your face.

Kimbo isn't exactly the type you expect to get knocked out anyway. I think his first loss will be a submission.

Anderson Silva would not be half as good as he is without his Chin.

You can't be a fantastic and consistent fighter without a good chin.

You might as well give up the idea of being a consistent world champion unless you find a way to compensate.

Chew really thick gum to strengthen jaw
or
Get a really heavy mouth guard

My personal feeling is that a REALLY ABNORMALLY THICK and heavy beard might help your chin a tiny bit, but not nearly as much as more important factors.

Human hair is not that good of a cushion. Hit yourself on the head if you have hair and you'll see what I mean. A pillow is a lot better protection.

LOL

I agree with the guys that argue that a beard isn't all that helpful.

we're talking about practice? practice? not the game, but practice....practice.

Building the strength in your neck (4-way neck machine, neck iso exercises, neck bridges, etc) I have also heard that your conditioning plays a big part in your ability to recover from a hard punch/kick...something about your body being able to take in, process and use oxygen more efficiently and effectively helps clear your head after you have been dazed.

Jack Dempsey used to chew on wood to strengthen his jaw; I prefer bubblegum. Neck bridges really build neck strength. Muhammad Ali took that a step further and was able to put all of his weight on his head upside down, an impressive feat. Bas Rutten always did alot of neck work.

I always did like chewing gum. It's good for your breath, just remember to brush your teeth regularly.

Work the trapezius muscles then?

250px-Trapezius.png

A lot of it is down to genes... but it helps a lot if you do lots of neck work and get your face punched on sparring, as it also helps to toughen up the area, like Muay-Thai kicks do to chins.

As has been said... Strong neck + Strong Jaw. Neck Exercises + Powerful jaw to prevent the snap (Pinching of the nerve) that knocks you out.

Look at the people with iron jaws. Fujita, Hunt, ect... They all have something in common. Look at the size of their necks versus the size of their head, and look at their jaw. Then look at someone like Jay Heron's jaw.

put a chew toy in your mouth get a pit bull and play tug o war with him

Back