War Room Lounge V77: Anthony Johnson is not a good unit of measure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually have a great life, just enough friends, and no gf currently though.
You'll find her. Be very picky when it comes to that.

I'm actually being serious here. It looks like you have good priorities.

You'll find her. Be very picky when it comes to that.

I'm actually being serious here. It looks like you have good priorities.

I got a nice dick and multiple years of salary saved up when I find her.

She only called for the outright ban of for-profit charter schools, as you would prefer. It was me who said that all for-profit schools should be banned

"We must stop the privatization of public schools. My administration will end federal funding for the expansion of charter schools, ban for-profit charter schools, and ensure existing charter schools are held to the same level of transparency and accountability as public schools."

Yeah, OK. But we should be expanding charter schools.

So....the 2016 Clinton campaign then? Just pure "I'm not that guy" campaign style?

Now we've seen that guy, and most of us (overwhelmingly enough to win) recognize that it's a disaster. Also, I don't think that's an accurate depiction of the Clinton campaign. There was outreach to any potential sane Republicans along those lines. A return to normalcy along with a few popular policy fixes seems like a winning message, especially in contrast with unpopular and bad ideas added to the mix.

It's pretty astonishing to me that you think the electorate cares about institutional competence and how qualified the Secretary of Energy, et al. are. It would seem to me that the vast majority of the voting public, including the majority of Democrats, aren't particularly knowledgeable about, let alone concerned about, the proliferation of corruption and ineptitude in the judiciary and cabinet.

I think the vast majority of the voting public isn't knowledgeable about the details of all that but can see that the executive branch is in the hands of corrupt fools now and would like that not to be the case anymore.

That feel when no gf
giphy.gif

See, you're already a Nazi!

On the other hand, thinking that the president shouldn't use the power of his office to shake down other countries for campaign help or enrich himself and that we should aim for broadly distributed prosperity makes me Trigglypuff Jr. to some people.

Not to mention, I think it was Jack himself who pointed out that segregation in schools along economic lines leads to worse outcomes for low income people. I would like to see some evidence that Warren's measures are ineffective in addressing that issue.

The main reason for inequality in public school funding is because most of the funding is done locally and based on local property taxes.

On the other hand, thinking that the president shouldn't use the power of his office to shake down other countries for campaign help or enrich himself and that we should aim for broadly distributed prosperity makes me Trigglypuff Jr. to some people.

I don't remember you being so staunch about executive power when Eric Holder was attorney general and the IRS was weaponized.

The main reason for inequality in public school funding is because most of the funding is done locally and based on local property taxes.
I didn't say anything about funding, or the lack thereof. Let's say you have 3 schools all funded equally, but one is full of poor people, one is full of rich people and one where there is broad diversity of social class. The poor people in the school on their own will have the poorest outcomes statistically regardless of the equality in funding.

My opinion is that the kids of families that are better off would be better off in the mixed school also FWIW, but that could be a mistaken recollection or my personal bias against private schools and the like talking, i.e. if it weren't for the disparate outcomes I mentioned, there might be nothing obviously wrong with sending your kid to a better school if you can afford it, but I still wouldn't like it.

I didn't say anything about funding, or the lack thereof. Let's say you have 3 schools all funded equally, but one is full of poor people, one is full of rich people and one where there is broad diversity of social class. The poor people in the school on their own will have the poorest outcomes statistically regardless of the equality in funding.

My opinion is that the kids of families that are better off would be better off in the mixed school also FWIW, but that could be a mistaken recollection or my personal bias against private schools and the like talking, i.e. if it weren't for the disparate outcomes I mentioned, there might be nothing obviously wrong with sending your kid to a better school if you can afford it, but I still wouldn't like it.

Sure. Charters are perfect, though, because they're free and often of legitimately higher quality.

The massive and organized effort to steer people to the alt right, plus, the distortion of information used by them.
Good question.
I'm going to make some broad generalizations, so take what I write with a grain of salt.

I think there are some fundamental differences between left and right that ensures that the left can't use the same tactics as the right and expect to get the same results. In essence, the teams are playing by different sets of rules, and the left side is playing with a huge handicap. From a high level, the right is typically more focused on results than process, whereas the left views process as the result. For instance, a right leaning person might be more comfortable with a morally corrupt politician ignoring rules in order to achieve a result whereas a left leaning person cares that rules are followed, because they believe the rules are set up to produce the best result. Think of voting as an example: the left wants open, free elections, and the right is more comfortable with voter restriction laws, gerrymandering, etc., because they are more concerned with results than process. The left and right approaches to debate is another example.

You can apply this rationale to alt-right tactics. They might be more comfortable with manipulating algorithms or bad faith arguments. Something like crying "censorship" on a platform is a pretty effective tactic for the alt-right because they know it is more effective on convincing liberals to acquiesce mainstream spaces to spread ideas.

So back to the question: what can be done? Short answer: nothing. Alt-right tactics are not a thing to counteract, but rather a new paradigm that has to be adjusted to.
Long answer: I guess my hope is that the left becomes educated on the tactics and call them out. If you believe truth is on your side, you need to be able to defend it intelligently. You might have to get used to debating things that should have been resolved a long time ago, like scientific racism or even flat earth nonsense. And you have to get used to the reality that some people are beyond reason and decide whether or not its worth the time to try to appeal to their pathos. Your energy is better spent working with willing partners rather than try to persuade the obstinate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back