War Room Lounge V77: Anthony Johnson is not a good unit of measure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished watching. Suprisingly good fight. Would have liked to have seen more grappling, but it was still impressive.
Bit of humility won't hurt Askren.
Cyril Gane looked impressive as well. Look forward to seeing him against tougher competition.
I wonder if he'll struggle with wrestling like Ngannou since they're from the same camp, although he already looked more well rounded in this fight.
Felt bad for Johnson. Close and entertaining fight. Definitely can't say he was robbed, but I wonder why he didn't try harder to escape that position.

Khabib broke Johnson mentally. I think he just is now prone to accept bad positions and wait out the clock.

Gane is a scary prospect. That size, that ability with a solid submission game. I can understand letting him develop because he's still relatively new in MMA but I do think he is ready for top 10 competition. Too soon to fight blaydes but that's the HW fight i would get most hyped to see at the moment

Khabib broke Johnson mentally. I think he just is now prone to accept bad positions and wait out the clock.

Gane is a scary prospect. That size, that ability with a solid submission game. I can understand letting him develop because he's still relatively new in MMA but I do think he is ready for top 10 competition. Too soon to fight blaydes but that's the HW fight i would get most hyped to see at the moment

Yeah, Johnson definitely just accepted the position. Considering how he reacted to the decision I wonder if he felt like he didn't need the round. There was nothing between them in the first round.

Gane looked excellent, but it's hard to judge his level until he faces a bit more adversity or dominates a high level of opposition. Certainly has the tools.
Mayes could take a beating, although I didn't watch the contender series and I'm not familiar with any of his opponents other than that loss to Allen Crowder.

Yeah, Johnson definitely just accepted the position. Considering how he reacted to the decision I wonder if he felt like he didn't need the round. There was nothing between them in the first round.

Gane looked excellent, but it's hard to judge his level until he faces a bit more adversity or dominates a high level of opposition. Certainly has the tools.
Mayes could certainly take a beating, although I didn't watch the contender series and I'm not familiar with any of his opponents other than that loss to Allen Crowder.

Would like to see Gane against a durable wrestler but at heavyweight it's slim pickings to find that in the top 15. Spivac may be a suitable matchup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back