Walks like a DUCK, quacks like a DUCK, must be a...

Personally, I would have been satisfied if he skipped the Siver fight and fought Frankie or Chad. Hell, if he fought Cub or Lamas, that would have been great. Generally, I think a fighter should beat at least contender before becoming a contender himself. I want to say "top 5," but those tend to fluctuate in line with the UFC's objectives.

Not a single challenger to Aldo's belt has ever had a top-3 win at FW before facing him, except Faber. None of them have ever needed to take out a top contender. In fact, most never faced a 'top-5' guy.

Agreed, the point was people weren't as upset over this title shot compared to others where they were even less deserving.

"Deserve" has nothing to do with it, it's the fight that people want. Edgar "deserves" the shot, but he's already fought Aldo, and people are falling over themselves to give the UFC money to make Aldo vs Conor.

Poirer was #5

For beating who exactly?

All of Conor's opponents crept up the rankings when he fought them.

You cant at least acknowledge that much.

He got the fight by kissing the right asses and saying the right things.

Is that wrong? No way. Show me a man who doesn't take the shortcut to success and I'll show you a fool.

Still, he's got to prove himself in the Aldo fight. People keep acting like he's already proven.

Nah. He won some tailor-made fights. Good for him. But there's only 1 king of the mountain. the man with the belt is the undisputed best.

Everyone else is a runner up.

So you're saying he should have refused the title shot and fought everyone else until he loses so you can be happy and call him over rated.

Lmao. Well said.

If this kid wins the title, what's going to happen is every fighter he fights next "will be the one to beat him", since he didn't claw his way up the ranks. Then you will watch the hype train die down while the pure hatred towards a total stranger sets in

It'll be Interesting to watch unfold, considering he wins, of course

Not a single challenger to Aldo's belt has ever had a top-3 win at FW before facing him, except Faber. None of them have ever needed to take out a top contender. In fact, most never faced a 'top-5' guy.

What are talking about? Manny Gamburyan knocked out Mike Brown, a longtime p4p entrant who had just lost the belt to Aldo. Were you following FW in those days?

Conor's road to Aldo wasn't any easier than Lamas' or TKZ's. Maybe even Mendes. Were they also ducking the top of the division?

Also, give people the fights they want to see.

Mendes fought Cody Mckenzie and Clay Guida on his road to the rematch.

who did he pass? do you know?

KZ. I guess that's ok. I was wrong.

http://www.mmamania.com/2014/7/21/5...t-45-46-mma-donald-cerrone-conor-mcgregor-mma

Look, I don't have a problem with McGregor and his choice (or the UFC choice) to not fight a wrestler until now. It's good for everybody, they're making money (well, except the wrestlers).

I don't even know if I want Aldo to win. I'll only know when the fight starts. I have a little problem with Aldo because he cheers for Flamengo. :icon_lol:

What are talking about? Manny Gamburyan knocked out Mike Brown, a longtime p4p entrant who had just lost the belt to Aldo. Were you following FW in those days?

Congrats. You're right, I forgot about Manny (mostly because everyone knew he would get slaughtered and that was his only big win). Anyone else? Anyone in the 4 years since WEC shut down have to beat a top contender to fight Aldo?

Although I like McGregor, I was of the mindset that he needed to beat Mendez, Edgar, or Lamas before fighting Aldo. However, this post really put things into perspective:

Who exactly has run some gauntlet to get to Aldo?

Mendes (2nd fight) beat:

Lentz
Guida
Elkins
Meza
McKenzie

Lamas beat

Koch
Hioki
Cub (before his run)
Grice

KZ beat:

Poirier
Hominick
Leonard Garcia

Edgar beat:

No one

Mendes (first fight) beat:

Yahya
Omigawa
Vazquez
Cub

Florian beat:

Nunes

Hominick beat:

Roop
Garcia
Jabouin
Caraway

Manny (WEC title) beat:

Mike Brown
Garcia
Franchi

Faber is Faber, before that he won the title from Brown.

How can you "duck" fighter that you will have to fight when your champ. He's going after the best fighter in the division and then he'll take on the rest.

In this case I think you should blame it on Dana and Co. more than McGregor.

Congrats. You're right, I forgot about Manny. Anyone else? Anyone in the 4 years since WEC shut down have to beat a top contender to fight Aldo?

Florian fought Nunes, who was riding high at the time (can't recall where he ranked at the time). Regardless, I'm not trying to justify undeserved shots. Frankly, I wish more top contenders fought each other.

For beating who exactly?

All of Conor's opponents crept up the rankings when he fought them.

You cant at least acknowledge that much.

He got the fight by kissing the right asses and saying the right things.

Is that wrong? No way. Show me a man who doesn't take the shortcut to success and I'll show you a fool.

Still, he's got to prove himself in the Aldo fight. People keep acting like he's already proven.

Nah. He won some tailor-made fights. Good for him. But there's only 1 king of the mountain. the man with the belt is the undisputed best.

Everyone else is a runner up.

You're clearly butthurt

True, but there's a difference in protecting a fighter and giving a guy who's on a streak (but isn't #1) a shot.

He was #6 and moved up to #5 for no reason.

Korean Zombie went into military service so he got bumped.

Without question, the worst poster in this forum.

Who exactly has run some gauntlet to get to Aldo?

Mendes (2nd fight) beat:

Lentz
Guida
Elkins
Meza
McKenzie

Lamas beat

Koch
Hioki
Cub (before his run)
Grice

KZ beat:

Poirier
Hominick
Leonard Garcia

Edgar beat:

No one

Mendes (first fight) beat:

Yahya
Omigawa
Vazquez
Cub

Florian beat:

Nunes

Hominick beat:

Roop
Garcia
Jabouin
Caraway

Manny (WEC title) beat:

Mike Brown
Garcia
Franchi

Faber is Faber, before that he won the title from Brown.
Here's the thing. None of those fighters were protected. They didn't fight guys tailor made for their style. They fought every style. And there's also a progression. Mendes went from McKenzie to Guida to Lentz. They moved up the ranks before the TS. Edgar was a champ in the higher division, so surely you can see why they'd give him the shot.

Conor's case is different. Every match up has been against a fighter whose style matches up with his. It's been against guys who aren't that good, but who were talked WAY up. He also beat the #6 guy then went to the #10 guy for a TS. He's clearly being protected. Like I said, it's a business. It makes sense. But can we at least accept it among us fans?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back