Walks like a DUCK, quacks like a DUCK, must be a...

Honestly, I don't care about the path they take. If it makes a great stylistic match up, so be it. If anything, it solidifies the champ's versatility and potential GOAT status within the weight class......

So in your scenario, he beats Aldo and we're still asking questions about him? If he beats Aldo I'd argue we've got nothing left to discuss at that point.

In that scenario, we would at the very least have to wonder how he'd do against Mendes or Edgar. Then of course there's the idea of a rematch with Aldo, because the guy hasn't lost in 9 years. Might have been a fluke. Who knows?

Compare CMG's path to Robbie Lawler's. Robbie beat several contenders en route to his championship. Most importantly, he beat the 2nd best guy before he beat the champion (i.e. Rory). So you won't find too many people that Robbie Lawler didn't earn his belt. He might lose soon, but his championship win answered plenty of questions.

Personally, I think all contenders should have to beat someone in the top 5 to earn a shot at the belt.

Has anyone gotten a title-shot without having beat anyone in the top 5?

A lot of people. Including several of Aldo's opponents.

btw, Poirier was #5.

Poirier number 5 is solid.

Can you name exactly who else has gotten the shot without beating a top 5? It's hard because I don't know the rankings of the time of the fight.

He hasn't ducked any any one. He gets his shot at the champ because he's best everyone else. Edgar is by far the more deserving fighter, but even he acknowledged that the Conor fight makes sense. Edgar should fight a can in the meantime.

Is it good they shelter there stars? Yes. Because if and when they do lose its big news, which is big money. You create this product. Nothing lasts for ever. But you might as well get the most out of it when you can. If say Swanson is better the Conor, I as a business man would not want to find out till after Aldo. And purely as a fan, I'd rather ride the GOAT as long as it lasts. And yes I realize that sounds gay. I worded it that way. Shit I am Polish after all. Regardless let a fan believe.

I agree with you, but to a point. If you have to "protect" guys in order to preserve a stable pool of marketable contenders, then I support that. Don't make them fight a "murderer's" row. But they have to at least beat someone noteworthy, don't you think? I mean, otherwise it's like the Truman Show: MMA Edition.

So when ever a fighter gets called out and doesn't fight... He is ducking?:rolleyes:

It's obvious he's ducking a wrestler. He never fought a wrestler, and there's a bunch of them on FW. If you wanna be blind, no problem.

Can you name exactly who else has gotten the shot without beating a top 5? It's hard because I don't know the rankings of the time of the fight.

I think this poster said it best. Also, Mendes' second run among a few others. Cody McKenzie wasn't even top 40.

Who exactly has run some gauntlet to get to Aldo?

Mendes (2nd fight) beat:

Lentz
Guida
Elkins
Meza
McKenzie

Lamas beat

Koch
Hioki
Cub (before his run)
Grice

KZ beat:

Poirier
Hominick
Leonard Garcia

Edgar beat:

No one

Mendes (first fight) beat:

Yahya
Omigawa
Vazquez
Cub

Florian beat:

Nunes

Hominick beat:

Roop
Garcia
Jabouin
Caraway

Manny (WEC title) beat:

Mike Brown
Garcia
Franchi

Faber is Faber, before that he won the title from Brown.

In that scenario, we would at the very least have to wonder how he'd do against Mendes or Edgar. Then of course there's the idea of a rematch with Aldo, because the guy hasn't lost in 9 years. Might have been a fluke. Who knows?

Compare CMG's path to Robbie Lawler's. Robbie beat several contenders en route to his championship. Most importantly, he beat the 2nd best guy before he beat the champion (i.e. Rory). So you won't find too many people that Robbie Lawler didn't earn his belt. He might lose soon, but his championship win answered plenty of questions.

Personally, I think all contenders should have to beat someone in the top 5 to earn a shot at the belt.

Every post you make is a can post. Dustin was ranked #5 when they fought. And before you say he wasn't the real #5. nobody had a problem calling him #5 and saying he was going to smash Conor. When Conor smashed him Dustin became and had always been a can.

Name a single fighter he's ducked. Name a top 5 opponent he hasn't called out.

Tell me the level of competition Chad Mendes faced for his second crack.

Tell me why you're making more threads (if indirectly) about Conor McGregor after you vowed you wouldn't after the last. You're obsessed dude. :/

I know reading is not your strong suit. Read the thread again, then address the topic at issue. Don't waste your time disputing indisputable facts.

Poirier was actually number 7. The champion isn't number one, wich is dumb, and Poirier gained a position without fighting right after the bout was announced.

well, he beat rory, then lost for the belt. if jonny didn't get hurt, who was in line for next?

Poirier was actually number 7. The champion isn't number one, wich is dumb, and Poirier gained a position without fighting right after the bout was announced.

who did he pass? do you know?

Every post you make is a can post. Dustin was ranked #5 when they fought. And before you say he wasn't the real #5. nobody had a problem calling him #5 and saying he was going to smash Conor. When Conor smashed him Dustin became and had always been a can.

Wow. Someone's upset! Chill out, bro.

Back