Multiplatform VR Megathread

full

My latest acquisition the HTC Vive XR Elite. List of features I currently like having had it for only a day. Some I believe is seriously lacking in other portable headsets.

1. Being able to remove the power bank in the back of the headset an run off of remote power.
Example:

Left is the battery on the back of your head common on Meta Quest 2 expansion. Left the 5,000 mah battery right 10,000 mah battery connected to my Vive XR Elite.

2 Pancake optics wider Field Of View then ether my Quest 2, HTC Vive Pro 2 an my HP Reverb G2. Pass-through capabilities to see the outside world.

3 Headset is portable an comfortable enough for extended usage. Like hours due to not having a battery tied to the back of your head.

4. Since it has a small battery in the headset you have 10 mins to swap the battery without losing anything.

5 Seamless steam application access to download steam games compatible with the headset. PCVR games on steam should have no problems running.

6 Importing 3D models into the virtual environment to share with others virtually. Great way to market a business or a service.

I will add more soon as I discover the options available.
See less

This is me getting used to the Vive XR Elite augmented reality technology for the first time outdoors.

"
Apple announced that this year’s Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) will take place June 5-9, 2023 — and it could be the virtual launching pad for the tech giant’s long-awaited mixed-reality headset.

WWDC23 will be presented in an “online format,” free to all registered Apple developers, although the company also will stage an in-person “special experience” at Apple Park in Cupertino, Calif., on the opening day of June 5. As in past years, the confab will serve as a venue for news and updates about Apple’s latest hardware and software products, including iOS and tvOS."

Apple rumors keep coming up.

"
Rumored Apple MR Specs
  • Resolution: Dual Micro OLED displays at 4K resolution (per eye)
  • FOV: 120-degrees, similar to Valve Index
  • Chipset: Two 5nm chips. Includes a main SoC (CPU, GPU, and memory) and a dedicated image signal processor (ISP). Chips communicate via a custom streaming codec to combat latency.
  • Battery: Waist-mounted battery, connected via MagSafe-like power cable to the headset’s headband. Two-hour max battery life, although hotswappable for longer sessions.
  • Passthrough: ISP chip contains custom high-bandwidth memory made by SK Hynix, providing low latency color passthrough
  • Audio: H2 chip, providing ultra-low latency connection with the second-generation AirPods Pro and future AirPods models. No 3.5mm and possible no support for non-AirPod BT headphones.
  • Controller: Apple is said to favor hand-tracking and voice recognition to control the headset, but it has tested a “wand” and a “finger thimble” as alternative control input methods.
  • Prescription Lenses: Magnetically attachable custom prescription lenses for glasses-wearers.
  • IPD Adjustment: Automatic, motorized adjustment to match the wearer’s interpupillary distance.
  • Eye Tracking: At least one camera per-eye for things like avatar presence and foveated rendering
  • Face & Body Tracking: More than a dozen cameras and sensors capture both facial expressions and body movements, including the user’s legs.
  • Room Tracking: Both short- and long-range LiDAR scanners to map surfaces and distances in three dimensions.
  • App Compatibility: Said to have the ability to run existing iOS apps in 2D.
  • Price: $3,000 – $4,000"
https://www.roadtovr.com/report-app...X2hl-p4F6g21JMMob7vacB10EsFY7KmhrKALu7m1326z8

I'm still ticked that its still taking too long to get released when they said were going to do it as early as december. Its been almost 5 months now.

I guess I still have time to prepare and wear this on my head get ready for the crystal then
11740-80P35LBRUBHEX-1

Reactions: PEB
I'm still ticked that its still taking too long to get released when they said were going to do it as early as december. Its been almost 5 months now.

I guess I still have time to prepare and wear this on my head get ready for the crystal then
11740-80P35LBRUBHEX-1
That's the thing I really don't understand why they needed to make it that large. If someone could combine the resolution Primax, size of XR Elite, Primax FOV, pass-through capability you would sell like crazy. Apple an Valve could come the closest I believe.

That's the thing I really don't understand why they needed to make it that large. If someone could combine the resolution Primax, size of XR Elite, Primax FOV, pass-through capability you would sell like crazy. Apple an Valve could come the closest I believe.
Apple seems to be way overpriced if their headset would be 3K. I think it will mainly be geared toward businesses and not so much on gaming. The resolution most likely will be far less than Pimax. Valve would probably be the closest and most Steam friendly. We probably won't hear any news on Valve for at least another year. I could see that one run out of stock within 14 days and scalpers bumping the price up to double like they did for the Valve knuckles

Reactions: PEB
Apple seems to be way overpriced if their headset would be 3K. I think it will mainly be geared toward businesses and not so much on gaming. The resolution most likely will be far less than Pimax. Valve would probably be the closest and most Steam friendly. We probably won't hear any news on Valve for at least another year. I could see that one run out of stock within 14 days and scalpers bumping the price up to double like they did for the Valve knuckles
I saw someone do a breakdown of the costs for the manufacturing of what everyone believes is the Apple headset and may at least somewhat explain the higher price. The microOLED displays at 4k resolution are over 300 for each eye about 4 times as much as Sony rumored OLED prices in their PCVR headset. These production costs does not even enter the 256 gigabytes of storage or the 16 gigs of built in memory and the two custom application specific processors for image processing and positional tracking and mapping of objects. There is also the rumor that a number of people working on the complex software worry they maybe trying to do to much.

I'm not saying VR won't be 'a thing' in the future, but for now and as it has been in the last decade, all of the overly complicated VR headsets will be viewed like.....

5ZrZME2_WpnDZJGED_vcvNu5RZFci0QkxnUFCjRuvnLtiy11a8XOIO4oyUzZXZugJGVvrE2DCyTQztueMuyMs_aNwXOyrIe6-y15SpHQ2L75Z-QIldFYMeJQ-CbUjMqepS4awIYMXEAOr9dD0A

Somehow, and someway, they're going to have to figure out how to streamline the process to the point its just something you can put on your head, comfortably, for more than an hour or two.

I'm not saying VR won't be 'a thing' in the future, but for now and as it has been in the last decade, all of the overly complicated VR headsets will be viewed like.....

5ZrZME2_WpnDZJGED_vcvNu5RZFci0QkxnUFCjRuvnLtiy11a8XOIO4oyUzZXZugJGVvrE2DCyTQztueMuyMs_aNwXOyrIe6-y15SpHQ2L75Z-QIldFYMeJQ-CbUjMqepS4awIYMXEAOr9dD0A

Somehow, and someway, they're going to have to figure out how to streamline the process to the point its just something you can put on your head, comfortably, for more than an hour or two.

EDIT:I bought a big battery that fits in my pocket gives me around 4 hours of playtime. I bought an additional battery for outdoor use similar 4 plus hours of playtime.

Last edited:
Apple world got a message about Apple’s AR/VR glasses plan from Tim Cook himself. Could be I am sure he hopes an iPhone moment for Apple. The resources that came into making this headset a reality was huge. More interesting internally Tim is telling people it's going to be like the Apple watch slow ramp but becoming a pretty good size business.

"
If you think about the technology itself with augmented reality, just to take one side of the AR/VR piece, the idea that you could overlay the physical world with things from the digital world could greatly enhance people's communication, people's connection. It could empower people to achieve things they couldn't achieve before. We might be able to collaborate on something much easier if we were sitting here brainstorming about it and all of a sudden we could pull up something digitally and both see it and begin to collaborate on it and create with it. And so it's the idea that there is this environment that may be even better than just the real world—to overlay the virtual world on top of it might be an even better world. And so this is exciting. If it could accelerate creativity, if it could just help you do things that you do all day long and you didn’t really think about doing them in a different way.

More news on Tim Cooks quote about AR/VR:

"
Apple will likely unveil its Mixed Reality headset during the WWDC 2023. After years of speculations, it seems the company is finally ready to talk about this new product segment it’s about to enter. While we heard a lot about this upcoming device, Apple’s CEO Tim Cook gave an interview to GQ in which he said he was wrong about the importance of AR glasses and how this technology could improve our lives from now on.

“If you think about the technology itself with augmented reality, just to take one side of the AR/VR piece, the idea that you could overlay the physical world with things from the digital world could greatly enhance people’s communication, people’s connection,” Cook says. “It could empower people to achieve things they couldn’t achieve before. We might be able to collaborate on something much easier if we were sitting here brainstorming about it, and all of a sudden, we could pull up something digitally and both see it and begin to collaborate on it and create with it.”"

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/tim-cook-changes-mind-ar-181107450.html

The AR/VR world could turn ugly based on how Apple users could use features already active in Apple phones that gives them the ability to track other users phones. This could be a big Fing deal if the feature is active within the headset people will be able to identify themselves within the headset instead of using their likeness but by their headset or phone. A feature that others have featured within movies and technology demos is becoming a reality and nice because you will not need to provide a photo to make it work. But facebook was working on a similar feature and Apple turned the feature off on the Facebook app and Facebook claims in cost them 10 billion just in 2022 so the money it could generate for Apple is huge. Think about going to a store and having the items you want displayed on the headset as being in stock.

"
Apple and Meta have an acrimonious relationship. The iPhone maker’s privacy stance has limited Meta’s ability to track users while browsing the web via Safari or across apps via its App Tracking Transparency (ATT). ATT allows users to choose whether they want apps to track them across other apps and the web. Turning down the option means Meta doesn’t get as good of a look at consumers’ browsing habits, hurting its ability to sell targeted ads.

Meta estimates the feature cost the company as much as $10 billion in 2022 alone.

Meta now appears to be moving beyond that roadblock but is now contending with a slowdown in the digital advertising market.

Cook has also repeatedly called out app developers for vacuuming up user data, hitting on the topic during press events and college commencement speeches.

Meta, for its part, struck back at Apple, assisting Epic Games in its antitrust suit against the tech giant. In that suit, Epic challenged Apple’s ability to force app makers to use its own Apple Store payment methods.

For now, Meta is still the AR/VR market leader. But with Apple’s headset on the way. That could all change soon."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tim-cooks-apple-is-coming-for-zuckerbergs-metaverse-093027794.html

I wonder what expectations Apple actually has, surely they don't think it's really gonna sell like crazy right away?

People have this wild imagination that a VR set shouldn't cost more than like $200 and then Apple comes with a 2-3k model? I just don't see it, not even among the big Apple following.

The Vive XR Elite looks great but still a little too expensive for me. Since it seems unlikely PSVR2 will be able to work on PC, I'll probably wait for the Quest 3.

I wonder what expectations Apple actually has, surely they don't think it's really gonna sell like crazy right away?

People have this wild imagination that a VR set shouldn't cost more than like $200 and then Apple comes with a 2-3k model? I just don't see it, not even among the big Apple following.

The Vive XR Elite looks great but still a little too expensive for me. Since it seems unlikely PSVR2 will be able to work on PC, I'll probably wait for the Quest 3.
This is the general consensus that many are waiting for the Quest 3 or Valve Index replacement. Both expected to cost more then the product they are replacing. In the case of the Quest 3 Mark said expect it to cost more due the optics an the addition hardware.

Back