Multiplatform VR Megathread

Primax has begun shipping Crystal to selected customers hopefully you're one.

In other news:

"
Apple has sent invitations to its upcoming WWDC keynote to select media outlets, including Road to VR.

Apple has historically not invited XR media to its events, let alone commented in any way on its XR R&D that has been reportedly happening behind the scenes at the company for years.

Road to VR is among the XR media outlets who have received an invitation to Apple’s WWDC keynote for the first time. Our friends at UploadVR confirmed the same.

It’s difficult not to interpret the invitations amidst the growing number of reports that Apple plans to reveal its first XR device at the keynote which takes place on June 5th at 10AM PT.

Apple’s official entrance into the XR space has been rumored for years, with many expecting it to be a boon for the industry thanks to Apple’s penchant for solving usability challenges, one of the core issues that has held XR back from more mainstream usage. Much speculation has happened about whether the company will lean most into AR, VR, or MR."
I heard about it and how they made the first 100 VR headsets avalible by the queue list. I preordered mine in december 10 so it is about 2 to 3 weeks later where it was first avaible in mid november. Probably will take another month or so. I will check my email reguarly to see when I will be in the next queue

Reactions: PEB

Stuff is getting crazy and BOE I think bought a Mass. based micro-OLED engineering firm and still exists independent to BOE. Sony, LG also have their 4K micro-OLED's in the works or running. The issue is cost currently 2.5K by 2.5K costs like 170 dollars or more per panel meaning the displays alone cost like 340 dollars meaning the headsets including the very expensive pancake lens will easily run over 1200 bucks.

Kolpin sells their micro-AMOLED directly still with 2K X 2K panel but BOE likely has exclusive access to anything higher. Kolpin being US based subsidiary could help BOE out big time if things get crazy with China. Kolpin been the longest provider of micro-LED panels in the industry by far they had them working in the 90's. They were born out of work done at all people Kodak and Polaroid.

https://www.kopin.com/lp-lightning-2k-amoled/

Battle of gigantic headsets is about to begin I bought a Primax 8K X headset for really cheap money. I guess they are ramping up for the coming of the Crystal and are raising some cash. I ended up buying it for 600 bucks and that was to good a deal to pass up. So I already have all the valve trackers for my Vive Pro 2 5K figured I would test both of them to see what they offer. I like the idea of 180 degree or so field of view of the Primax 8K will see how it compares brightness and color vs the 1400 dollar Vive Pro 2 setup. The Primax optics look nicer then the Vive Pro 2 by design first thing I see. It will be interesting to see how they compare. The Primax is a monster of a headset with 4K panels per eye lol. In all honesty I am waiting to also hear about the Apple XR headset if it supports Steam if you're required to own a Mac or if you need an Iphone all things in question and price. Direct connection to the displayport is required to so that could be an issue with Apple.

full

full

I don't know how this keep happening Apple has not been in the Micro-OLED display business for 3 decades but know it's claimed they just received a patent on a fabrication process how? People don't know the ramifications of this patent other then it's probably not good?

As headsets with displays reaching the point were it's close to reality Apple jumps in a goes after everyone.

I heard about it and how they made the first 100 VR headsets avalible by the queue list. I preordered mine in december 10 so it is about 2 to 3 weeks later where it was first avaible in mid november. Probably will take another month or so. I will check my email reguarly to see when I will be in the next queue

I want to like the Primax but I may have to remove my Vive software to run it? Not sure I am not the only one with this 10936 error. It's all over the internet. The software seems slapped together with little QA. It does not see it plugged into my RTX 3090 ti an forget running it on an AMD gpu.

It's really hard to recommend something that some people say it took them 2 months to get working. Just a heads up it's the first headset I was not able to get working in a hour or two.

I want to like the Primax but I may have to remove my Vive software to run it? Not sure I am not the only one with this 10936 error. It's all over the internet. The software seems slapped together with little QA. It does not see it plugged into my RTX 3090 ti an forget running it on an AMD gpu.

It's really hard to recommend something that some people say it took them 2 months to get working. Just a heads up it's the first headset I was not able to get working in a hour or two.
Luckily Im still only on queue so I have time to decide if I want to go with it. I guess your purchase of the Pimax 8KX isnt going to well and ithe model has been in the market for two years at least right? Also do you have to use Steam VR to run everything or Pimax could run off its own software for games not purchased from steam? I did read that the Crystal release won't have the standalone option and face tracking ready but I was not really planning to use it as a standalone. As long as I can use Virtual Desktop to link it to my pc on first release I should be fine

If I do decide against the Crystal I may jump on board the BigScreen Beyond but it might be pointless because I would need to have an iphone or borrow one from someone so I can take a 3D print out of my face contour so it would fit in well. I already have base stations and the valve knuckles so $1000 for it wont hurt. The second option is if I should go with the Pico 4 pro which has face and eye tracking too like the Quest pro.

Reactions: PEB
Luckily Im still only on queue so I have time to decide if I want to go with it. I guess your purchase of the Pimax 8KX isnt going to well and ithe model has been in the market for two years at least right? Also do you have to use Steam VR to run everything or Pimax could run off its own software for games not purchased from steam? I did read that the Crystal release won't have the standalone option and face tracking ready but I was not really planning to use it as a standalone. As long as I can use Virtual Desktop to link it to my pc on first release I should be fine

If I do decide against the Crystal I may jump on board the BigScreen Beyond but it might be pointless because I would need to have an iphone or borrow one from someone so I can take a 3D print out of my face contour so it would fit in well. I already have base stations and the valve knuckles so $1000 for it wont hurt. The second option is if I should go with the Pico 4 pro which has face and eye tracking too like the Quest pro.

I would wait for Quest 3 or Pico 4 but also Steam headset could be stand alone an a lot of rumors will have 2.5k micro-OLED. BOE already provides panels to Steam, Pico an HTC.

I wanted the wide FOV with Primax I will continue to work on it if possible. I will eat the 600 dollars hopefully get it working. It seem if you only have the Primax configured it may not be an issue or not? 600 is less then over thousand Crystal so it's up to you.

I'm quite hesitant about the Quest 3 improvements since they are unlikely to price it over $600 and have specs to compete against the Crystal, Bigscreen Beyond and Apple. They are already selling the Quest 2 at $499 and previously it was $399 but around that time Meta was taking a loss from those sales. The improvements are not going to be so huge that the Quest Pro would be obsolete and this is a $1000 headset. According to a new video, the impression was the passthrough is going to be black and white but clearer than the Quest Pro and even though the controllers won't have rings on them, they appear to lack the cameras in them like the Quest Pro.

I think the Quest 3 will be very similar to the Pimax 4 except with a faster processor and a bit better

I'm quite hesitant about the Quest 3 improvements since they are unlikely to price it over $600 and have specs to compete against the Crystal, Bigscreen Beyond and Apple. They are already selling the Quest 2 at $499 and previously it was $399 but around that time Meta was taking a loss from those sales. The improvements are not going to be so huge that the Quest Pro would be obsolete and this is a $1000 headset. According to a new video, the impression was the passthrough is going to be black and white but clearer than the Quest Pro and even though the controllers won't have rings on them, they appear to lack the cameras in them like the Quest Pro.

I think the Quest 3 will be very similar to the Pimax 4 except with a faster processor and a bit better

Nothing going to touch Apple unfortunately.
This is insane numbers 10 fold brighter then Quest Pro don't ask how abysmal my Vive XR.

Last edited:

Big Screen Beyond excites me then tells me it can largely only work for one person? Seriously they have to cut the face plate to the shape of everyone who uses the headset? For commercial operations it's dead in the water. There will be better headset coming where there will not be these limits. I mean the HTC Vive XR "If they had decent displays" could own the market.

I don't think they will do black and white passthrough even if superior to the Meta Pro but then again a potato could have better passthrough then the Meta Pro. At least the Meta Pro has color passthrough. I believe it will be color passthrough and much better then the Meta Pro at least Mark confirmed it would be superior to the Meta Pro though he did not say black and white "that would be dumb".

I don't think they will do black and white passthrough even if superior to the Meta Pro but then again a potato could have better passthrough then the Meta Pro. At least the Meta Pro has color passthrough. I believe it will be color passthrough and much better then the Meta Pro at least Mark confirmed it would be superior to the Meta Pro though he did not say black and white "that would be dumb".

I also have one question since you now have a Pimax headset and it concerns Steamvr, valve knuckles, and trackers. Having only owned the HP reverb, Occulus Rift and Quest 2, I seem to have a issue with my headset dropping out the valve knuckles and trackers when I I leave the headset to sleep and pop back in. It does get annoying at times having the recaiibrate the trackers and knuckles to the same coordinates as those headsets.

I was wondering if you have paired those items with the Pimax and if so, do you have to constantly recalibrate them or is it treated as the same as the Valve/Vive headsets where you dont need to do much reconnecting and recalibration because its always in the same coordinates as your headset?

Last edited:
Big Screen Beyond excites me then tells me it can largely only work for one person? Seriously they have to cut the face plate to the shape of everyone who uses the headset? For commercial operations it's dead in the water. There will be better headset coming where there will not be these limits. I mean the HTC Vive XR "If they had decent displays" could own the market.
yeah that part makes it hard to resell it to someone else because of how the face structure is different. Also they would need to give you an alternative method to do your face imprint other than using an iphone. I dont why they cant create a site where you cn use a zoom camera to have it your face view uploaded.

Nothing going to touch Apple unfortunately.
This is insane numbers 10 fold brighter then Quest Pro don't ask how abysmal my Vive XR.

I heard about how disappointed people were with theit Vive XR purchase. It seems like of the 3 headsets released in the past 3 months, the Pico 4 came out on top while people were disappointed with the Quest Pro and much more with the XR

I heard about how disappointed people were with theit Vive XR purchase. It seems like of the 3 headsets released in the past 3 months, the Pico 4 came out on top while people were disappointed with the Quest Pro and much more with the XR
I think a lot of people are disappointed with Pico 4 too. It has a smaller FOV the then Meta 2. I have heard it suffers from from the same dimly lit screen? I could not get my knuckles controllers to be seen with the Primax desktop app. But did not spend a lot of time on that as I was trying to get out of the 10936 error.

But for the money knuckles have been far an away the best controllers for me.

Well just like what happens to me users are given early access to Meta 3. It doesn't seem to feature Micro-OLED like Sony PSVR 2 insane headset. Resolution is slightly higher but not as high as Sony PSVR 2 monster. Does have color passthrough an seems better then then Meta Pro 2. The headstrap still is piss poor an will likely again be a popular upgrade.

"
Quest 3 is said to come with a physical interpupillary distance (IPD) adjustment wheel next to the volume rocker which will allow users to dial in a finer IPD measurement. As a departure from its Quest Pro-esque feature set, Quest 3 is said to lack face and eye-tracking, which means none of the lauded ‘social presence’ features or foveated rendering.

Notably, Gurman says the actual clarity and VR displays within the Quest 3 feel “similar to those in the Quest 2 — despite the resolution being rumored to be slightly higher.” It seems Quest 3’s claim to fame will be its color mixed reality passthrough and faster performance thanks to a second-generation Qualcomm Snapdragon XR2.

“[V]ideo pass-through on the Quest 3 presented colors more accurately and offered an almost lifelike rendering of the real world. I was even able to use my phone while wearing the headset, something that often feels impossible on a Quest 2,” Gurman says.

There’s no mention of optics, or whether it will indeed use pancake lenses like Quest Pro or a Fresnel lens like Quest 2.

From Gurman’s description, it seems Touch controllers aren’t getting the Pro-level design either, as they appear to be optically tracked by the headset via IR markers à la Quest 2. It’s said to lack both Quest Pro’s embedded controller sensors and Quest 2’s hoop-style tracking design, which could be interesting.

Pricing for the Quest 3 isn’t finalized, however it’s expected to be higher than the Quest 2 at around $500. Meta is also expected to concurrently offer Quest 2, making for the widest headset lineup the company has ever offered at one time.

Gurman says Meta is set to target the cheaper headset segment while Apple targets the upscale market with its reported $3,000 mixed reality device. While Apple’s headset is expected to make its debut on June 5th, Gurman says Meta is bringing Quest 3 in October."

https://www.roadtovr.com/quest-3-features-hands-on-preview/amp/

Last edited:

90 degree field of view is a deal braker for me but according to the founder the production model will have over 11o degree field of view. We will see what happens according to them these units are pre preproduction models.

I think a lot of people are disappointed with Pico 4 too. It has a smaller FOV the then Meta 2. I have heard it suffers from from the same dimly lit screen? I could not get my knuckles controllers to be seen with the Primax desktop app. But did not spend a lot of time on that as I was trying to get out of the 10936 error.

But for the money knuckles have been far an away the best controllers for me.
Let me know how it goes. I did some research and it mentioned that the knuckles should have no issue with linking to the Pimax. At least you dont have to use Steamvr and do that arm wave motion for a minute like you do with linking the Quest 2 with knuckles only to have to do it over again because you let the headset go to sleep.

As long as the Pimax links up ok with the 3 current trackers, valve knuckles and 2 base stations I got, those items wont go to waste. I would hate to have those peripherals go to waste and have to order a vive/valve headset to make the best use out of them.

Back