Multiplatform VR Megathread

Well just like what happens to me users are given early access to Meta 3. It doesn't seem to feature Micro-OLED like Sony PSVR 2 insane headset. Resolution is slightly higher but not as high as Sony PSVR 2 monster. Does have color passthrough an seems better then then Meta Pro 2. The headstrap still is piss poor an will likely again be a popular upgrade.

"
Quest 3 is said to come with a physical interpupillary distance (IPD) adjustment wheel next to the volume rocker which will allow users to dial in a finer IPD measurement. As a departure from its Quest Pro-esque feature set, Quest 3 is said to lack face and eye-tracking, which means none of the lauded ‘social presence’ features or foveated rendering.

Notably, Gurman says the actual clarity and VR displays within the Quest 3 feel “similar to those in the Quest 2 — despite the resolution being rumored to be slightly higher.” It seems Quest 3’s claim to fame will be its color mixed reality passthrough and faster performance thanks to a second-generation Qualcomm Snapdragon XR2.

“[V]ideo pass-through on the Quest 3 presented colors more accurately and offered an almost lifelike rendering of the real world. I was even able to use my phone while wearing the headset, something that often feels impossible on a Quest 2,” Gurman says.

There’s no mention of optics, or whether it will indeed use pancake lenses like Quest Pro or a Fresnel lens like Quest 2.

From Gurman’s description, it seems Touch controllers aren’t getting the Pro-level design either, as they appear to be optically tracked by the headset via IR markers à la Quest 2. It’s said to lack both Quest Pro’s embedded controller sensors and Quest 2’s hoop-style tracking design, which could be interesting.

Pricing for the Quest 3 isn’t finalized, however it’s expected to be higher than the Quest 2 at around $500. Meta is also expected to concurrently offer Quest 2, making for the widest headset lineup the company has ever offered at one time.

Gurman says Meta is set to target the cheaper headset segment while Apple targets the upscale market with its reported $3,000 mixed reality device. While Apple’s headset is expected to make its debut on June 5th, Gurman says Meta is bringing Quest 3 in October."

https://www.roadtovr.com/quest-3-features-hands-on-preview/amp/
Color passthrough would be a huge plus since it will now be easier to type out on your physical keyboard by stepping slightly out of your guardian. It was a huge issue on the Quest 2 being in black and white. Still I would be surprised if they are able to add that many features to the Metaquest 3 which should not exceed $600 yet still able to give people the incentative to get Quest pro without copying too many of the features from that headset

Reactions: PEB
Color passthrough would be a huge plus since it will now be easier to type out on your physical keyboard by stepping slightly out of your guardian. It was a huge issue on the Quest 2 being in black and white. Still I would be surprised if they are able to add that many features to the Metaquest 3 which should not exceed $600 yet still able to give people the incentative to get Quest pro without copying too many of the features from that headset

The specs at least rumored to be announced today for the due in Oct. Meta 3 is decent getting a little better all around but color passthrough is a huge improvement even over the Meta Pro 2. Obviously they have their sites on HTC Vive XR Elite killing it in price and better display specs where HTC is 1920 X 1920 the Meta 3 is getting 2120 by 2120 or something similar. The Field of view going over 100 degrees with 105 to 110 potential. The processor is upgraded now to generation 2 but still based on the XR that is in Quest/Meta 2.

Zuckerberg-Quest-3-showcase-tease-crop-1.png

https://www.uploadvr.com/did-mark-zuckerberg-just-tease-a-quest-3-reveal/

curved motherboard first of a kind for a product and that some of the assembly is done by hand due to the construction of it.

It looks like they will be taking a profit loss if the price is "just" $500 like they did when they first priced Quest 2 at $300 in 2020. At least around that time they were forcing people to use facebook to log in which benefited them,

Awesome about the color pass through news and the confirmed Snapdragon chip. Its like they took both Pico 4 and PSVR 2 and combined them. Just pair it with separate Quest Pro controllers and it would be King

It looks like they will be taking a profit loss if the price is "just" $500 like they did when they first priced Quest 2 at $300 in 2020. At least around that time they were forcing people to use facebook to log in which benefited them,

Awesome about the color pass through news and the confirmed Snapdragon chip. Its like they took both Pico 4 and PSVR 2 and combined them. Just pair it with separate Quest Pro controllers and it would be King

PSVR will remain image quality king for sometime to come even though they did enhance some of the brightness level with regional dimming "I have no idea how that works lol" it still a generation behind the PSVR with OLED at 2.5K. Seriously Sony the one looking to taking bath but still older style optics likely one area they did not see a significant advantage going to expensive pancake optics but added the eye tracking advantage to the mix. Facebook bean counters decided that 500 is the max that a mass of consumers are willing to pay for a VR headset. The potential king of the show no one paying attention to is 270 degree field of view breakthrough using a way to bend pancake optics and add a second set of displays and I think experiments in bendable displays could really be big. total optical immersion full field of view.

Designing for a new GMC product and possible brand in China using 7000 dollar VR headset with 2017 HTC controllers lol.

GM-new-EV-platform-6.jpg

According to people around Mark he said he will make a slight profit on the Meta Quest 3. But also talked about the next product could be 2 or 3 years away. That does not sound promising.

According to people around Mark he said he will make a slight profit on the Meta Quest 3. But also talked about the next product could be 2 or 3 years away. That does not sound promising.
Most likely they are anticipating updates for the next 2 years on the Metaquest 3 to take advantage of the Snapdragon 2 processor. Yeah I think the price of the headset will rise again once it is 6 month into release. They did for the Quest 2 when it got raised from $300 to $400 after a year in release. Maybe Meta is anticipating on expanding its user base with the low price since I think they control over 75% to 90% of the total VR units sold. It was around 20 million Quest 2 VRs sold and 75% of the SteamVR users were Quest 2 users. Im not quite sure the number of people using just the standalone database is but I've encountered quite a few people in Bigscreen, HorizonVR, Altspace and VRChat who were don't own a PC or laptop

Last edited:
Valve Deckhard VR headset potentially AR is getting ready for introduction based on this patent filing. Rumored specs 120 degree or better field of view with micro-OLED panels, some form of pancake optics and stand alone but for gaming not for walking around with as some people seem to think. It was rumored that when valve was in talks with Apple over some kind of game deal Tim Cook got an early look at the headset.

Screenshot_2022_06_17_at_10.12.14.png

Most likely they are anticipating updates for the next 2 years on the Metaquest 3 to take advantage of the Snapdragon 2 processor. Yeah I think the price of the headset will rise again once it is 6 month into release. They did for the Quest 2 when it got raised from $300 to $400 after a year in release. Maybe Meta is anticipating on expanding its user base with the low price since I think they control over 75% to 90% of the total VR units sold. It was around 20 million Quest 2 VRs sold and 75% of the SteamVR users were Quest 2 users. Im not quite sure the number of people using just the standalone database is but I've encountered quite a few people in Bigscreen, HorizonVR, Altspace and VRChat who were don't own a PC or laptop

Basically the experiences I have had with my HTC XR Elite "that they just raised the price by 200 dollars for a business version" is not impressive period. The Primax I bought is without features not enabled and the 8K is a mess will not work with my RTX 3090ti the recommendation is to downgrade to a RTX 3080Ti you think they where joking but no. Big Screen Beyond looking better and better since the news about new lens getting better FOV but I still will wait till they figure out a way to go without face scanning. I cannot buy the Apple without PC support not some Linux port. Anyway this is my current bitch session. I am back to working on my HP Reverb G2 to get it working.

Back