Multiplatform VR Megathread

I've already placed my order a few days back when my queue on the wait list came up. I should be receiving it between 2 to 3 weeks and I will let you know how its working. The video is iinformative and I will pay attention to see if I get the plastic or glass lense as well as the link cable if its copper or fiberoptic

Reactions: PEB

Sounds like he said it has the best visual and gaming experience out of any headset out there but it is very frustrating to set up and tracking is very wonky and not working so well. It looks like when I get it I will see if it works with my current game and if not try again in 6 months till they fix the glitches

Sounds like he said it has the best visual and gaming experience out of any headset out there but it is very frustrating to set up and tracking is very wonky and not working so well. It looks like when I get it I will see if it works with my current game and if not try again in 6 months till they fix the glitches

I got my Pimax crystal today. First off so many damn accessories to assemble. No problem. Assembled everything, installed the software and still not being able to detect my Pimax Crystal on the PC for 2 hours now. So another thing I noticed is that the chargeable batteries if s already a pain to attach for recharge and attach it back on the headset. Bad design on that part since you literally have to grip both sides to get it to latch off. The strap itself is asking to be snapped apart. The frame holding the front and back side is only 1/8" thick. You can almost use a thick pair of scissors to cut through it

So far its frustrating and I hope I get it to work today

Edit: got it running now. I do wish that there is a configuration where you dont need to have SteamVR up to get the programs running. The resolution and FOV is amazing coming off using the Quest 2 and Pro. I might need to test this out on Cyberpunk with Vorpax running

Last edited:
I got my Pimax crystal today. First off so many damn accessories to assemble. No problem. Assembled everything, installed the software and still not being able to detect my Pimax Crystal on the PC for 2 hours now. So another thing I noticed is that the chargeable batteries if s already a pain to attach for recharge and attach it back on the headset. Bad design on that part since you literally have to grip both sides to get it to latch off. The strap itself is asking to be snapped apart. The frame holding the front and back side is only 1/8" thick. You can almost use a thick pair of scissors to cut through it

So far its frustrating and I hope I get it to work today

Edit: got it running now. I do wish that there is a configuration where you dont need to have SteamVR up to get the programs running. The resolution and FOV is amazing coming off using the Quest 2 and Pro. I might need to test this out on Cyberpunk with Vorpax running
Good to hear not surprising but it's a good idea having the battery vs their usb powered version with my problems. The headset war is going to takeoff next year. I hear monster headsets from Panasonic an Samsung could be shown soon. Micro-OLED going to be all the rage.

It has already stated an it not out till next year a 120 thousand dollar Apple headset already modeled in 3D. This is a famous design house who sells tons of golden Apple a diamond crusted watches for 30,000 dollars. So there is a market for the super rich.

MIXED_Titelbild_News-der-Woche-230702-1200x675.png

Computing legend took a ride with Big Screen Beyond an he likes focus on extremely small design but admitted there is visual tradeoff with edge to edge clarity.

"
Bigscreen Beyond feels like a prop for a futuristic movie, but it works! Far and away the smallest and lightest PC VR headset.

As a result of the iPhone based face scanning before ordering, the fit is perfect, with zero light leaks. The custom printed facial interface is comfortable, but not breathable, so it isn’t great for fitness activities.

The prescription lens inserts snap in with magnets and work well. The visuals are a trade off vs Quest Pro. The resolution is clearly higher, but there are more internal reflections in the pancake optics, and the quality falls off more toward the edges. There are parts of the view where screens look fantastic, good enough for actual productivity work, but not across the entire view.

I sorely miss integrated audio. Having to mess with headphones severely impacts the minimalist feel of the headset. I know some people have strong opinions, but I still feel Quest made the right decisions around audio.

The cable to the PC and the tracking base stations are the biggest downside. The magic of stand-alone VR is real, and while some people happily trade it away for the raw power and flexibility of a PC, I wouldn’t recommend any PC VR setup as an entry point to VR.

For people considering an upgrade to a PC VR system, Bigscreen Beyond should be in the mix. I am very happy to see this extreme focus on light weight, and I hope it impacts Meta’s future designs."

carmack-bigscreen-beyond-fr.jpg

Last edited:
Some amazing news with next years 4K per eye OLED headsets in 2024.

Rumor LG and Meta are working together now one way to cut the costs of development with each company and secure displays for both Meta and LG. Other news there is a rumor that Google, Samsung and QUALCOMM has another big player joining the group developing a competitor for Apples new headset. The LG/Meta deal does not expect to release a product till 2025 and that may explain why Meta dropped development on a Quest 3/4 pro instead working with LG on an expensive combo. Google, Samsung and Qualcomm are pretty far along according to rumors but still is a 2024 product. Delays are likely due to SOC development and moving to 4nm chip development. Meta really developed game changing technology according to people who saw it at Siggraph. Everyone was blown away by their new lightfield technology and new 1000 nts displays.

They got about 3 more months to release the Metaquest 3 this year which I doubt they would given we havent seen any prototype that has been in presentation at this stage.

They got about 3 more months to release the Metaquest 3 this year which I doubt they would given we havent seen any prototype that has been in presentation at this stage.
They are still online saying Oct that is next month so I don't see that changing. That Demo at Siggraph caused huge press so no doubt the LG announcement and there has been people who have tested the headset with the selective dimming zones.

It looks like Primax Crystal getting a big update. People got to test eye tracking an foveated rendering is a game changer. Palmer complained about the headset size an front-loaded weight. They got to test beta software an already felt polished.

It looks like Primax Crystal getting a big update. People got to test eye tracking an foveated rendering is a game changer. Palmer complained about the headset size an front-loaded weight. They got to test beta software an already felt polished.
Im beginning to see that Pimax is very slow with their update. They still havent activated standalone mode on their Crystal software and I have yet to receive the base station face plate in order to make it work the knuckles and trackers

Im beginning to see that Pimax is very slow with their update. They still havent activated standalone mode on their Crystal software and I have yet to receive the base station face plate in order to make it work the knuckles and trackers
Yeah that's disappointing but they are a smaller company and rushed to market to get it in the hands of users. They got eye tracking working that's a big plus.

Pimax shared a sampling of customer reports who noted the results of using foveated rendering (FR) on different games and GPUs.

Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Ti:

Game FR Off FR On
DCS World 65 FPS 85 FPS
Skyrim 82 FPS 98 FPS
Subnautica 48 FPS 62 FPS
iRacing - + 15%
MSFS 2020 - + 28%
Half-Life: Alyx 56 FPS 70 FPS
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti:

Game FR Off FR On
Dead Walking: Sinners & Saints 62 FPS 80 FPS
Half-Life: Alyx - + 40%