Media UFC Antitrust case reveals USADA drug testing is part of 'fighter compensation'

There is nothing wrong with this from an accounting standpoint. Many companies include insurance, employee benefits, licensing fees, etc. as part of the named account for employee compensation.

What do any of those things have to do with drug testing with USADA, that's not a benefit to the fighters unlike everything else you mentioned and as far as im aware the fighters pay their own licensing fees.

I mean, what else are they supposed to do, they spend that money on the fighters and report it as an amount that is given/used on the fighter.

The UFC pays for surgeries and such required from injuries sustained during fights/training camps for fights right? If they do, not sure how it's that crazy, I feel like most large companies would do this.

If you argue, that drug testing is fighter pay because they use it on the fighter, than you'd have to include the octagon and costs of media tours and everything because everything is used "on the fighter". The question is, is it used FOR the fighters. And drug testing ain't used for the fighters. It's a maintanence cost.

Health insurance is used for the fighters. That can be included.

right I get how it looks shitty, but that's just semantics.

No, it's not semantics. It's graft. The boxing promoters who are referenced in suit are actually paying out the amount of money categorized as "fighter compensation" direct to the fighters. They aren't including business expenses.

What do any of those things have to do with drug testing with USADA, that's not a benefit to the fighters unlike everything else you mentioned and as far as im aware the fighters pay their own licensing fees.

Medical and drug testing is a benefit to the employees. There have been more than a handful of cases where fighters get signed to the UFC, get medical testing done and they find out that they have a brain injury, heart condition, etc. that requires treatment that they were unaware of. The UFC then goes on to pay for this treatment.

Additionally, USADA testing, despite there being some widely criticized faults, is there to protect the fighters and look to ensure that individuals are not fighting against juiced up monkeys and having their eyeballs destroyed.

If the UFC is going to itemize this cost as part of fighter compensation when it creates an environment that is conducive to the long-term health of the fighters and their ability to continue to earn a living as long as viable then there really shouldn't be an issue with this.

Medical and drug testing is a benefit to the employees. There have been more than a handful of cases where fighters get signed to the UFC, get medical testing done and they find out that they have a brain injury, heart condition, etc. that requires treatment that they were unaware of. The UFC then goes on to pay for this treatment.

Additionally, USADA testing, despite there being some widely criticized faults, is there to protect the fighters and look to ensure that individuals are not fighting against juiced up monkeys and having their eyeballs destroyed.

If the UFC is going to itemize this cost as part of fighter compensation when it creates an environment that is conducive to the long-term health of the fighters and their ability to continue to earn a living as long as viable then there really shouldn't be an issue with this.

Drug testing and health care are two different things, stop trying to lump them together. Drug testing is a cost of doing business. Health care is a benefit to the fighters.

if the fighters didn't cheat, UFC wouldn't need USADA and could pay fighters more

I mean, what else are they supposed to do, they spend that money on the fighters and report it as an amount that is given/used on the fighter.

The UFC pays for surgeries and such required from injuries sustained during fights/training camps for fights right? If they do, not sure how it's that crazy, I feel like most large companies would do this.

They don't spend it on the fighters, they spend it in order to get sanctioned. That's like saying wiping blood of the mat or basically anything is part of fighter compensation

Imagine getting your raise in the form of obligatory drug tests

Because on the one hand UFC legally runs up the % with f.e. USADA costs which is legal and I do not have a problem with regrading fiscal declaration. But its not the number which athletes profit financially.

On the other hand "revenue" going to fighters is even more severly limited by UFC in taking away the ANCILLARY RIGHTS of their athletes forever!! Even after your contract expired.

I dont know any other sports league doing that and if you go by possible earnings for athletes that puts annother big minus into the athletes potential without showing up in revenue % . It is expropriation.

In simple terms: I take away 30k from your possible income and the grant you 50k that go into % revenue. How much do you profit as an athlete? Thats the reality of UFC contracts and payload.

The real number will be far below 20%
the golf # was like 12%. in tennis the us open paid 14%. so the ufc is likely above that.

what "ancillary rights" do they lose forever?

If the UFC requires them to go through testing, the UFC should have to pay for it. Its absurd. I've never had to pay for my own drug test for any job I've worked at lmao, thats insane.

then the fighters are retards and dont know what a monopoly or monoposony is.

What is Bellator? One FC? Rizin? Invicta? PFL? Cage Warriors? KSW?

There are tons of MMA orgs out there and there is nothing stopping anyone from starting a new org and competing with the UFC.

UFC will win the lawsuit easily.
The UFC is much bigger than those orgs though. They can still monopolize and keep the other businesses struggling for growth.

One of those things has nothing to do with the other. It's nice that the UFC pays for surgeries and stuff and that should be reported as fighter compensation since it benefits the fighter but the fighters didn't decide to hire USADA that cost isn't fighter related it was the UFC's decision to do it and shouldn't count towards fighter pay/compensation. That would be like if companies said that drug tests are employee compensation which is insane.

Will agree with that.

Back