Media UFC Antitrust case reveals USADA drug testing is part of 'fighter compensation'

If it is something that is required for work, such as for licensing and the corporation pays for it instead of the employee, it can be considered as part of employee compensation.

This all depends on where you are located because depending on the country's and province's/state's tax laws, certain things such as testing for drugs (marijuana, alcohol, etc.) cannot be expensed in the manor of employee compensation the same way as things like paying insurance premiums, or in some cases is not even allowed.

Given that USADA is a partner of the UFC, it can be reasonably expected that the UFC has it in the contract language that the members of the roster must pass USADA testing to remain under contract and that the UFC will cover the costs associated with the testing.

It doesn't work that way. USADA testing is a UFC intitiative. They brought USADA in and took it upon themselves to test the fighters.

Not to mention that UFC fighters are not even considered employees.

Okay free market man. That’s why so many AMERICANs die because of healthcare, no effective government regulation.

The UFC is essentially private health insurers and the average AMERICAN is the UFC fighter.

average American dies because they can’t afford appropriate
treatment.

UFC fighter gets used and neglected after their career with CTE, dementia. Has to keep on fighting after ufc career to earn a living.

Both bad.

off topic but its the lack of free market that is the problem with healthcare. its government intervention that makes it so expensive.

think of something like lasik that isnt covered by insurance.

prices are clearly displayed and there are tons of businesses vying for you. prices continue to go down, not up.

why? because its taken out the government and insurance bullshit and its direct B2C.

if you actually had to pay for healthcare, they would have to charge amounts that you could actually pay. with insurance, they can just mak something that should cost $50 cost $5000 and then charge that to the insurance company that provides you coverage.

Drug testing as part of fighter compensation and they can still only fluff it up to 20%.

Extend the Ali Act to MMA.

then the fighters are retards and dont know what a monopoly or monoposony is.

What is Bellator? One FC? Rizin? Invicta? PFL? Cage Warriors? KSW?

There are tons of MMA orgs out there and there is nothing stopping anyone from starting a new org and competing with the UFC.

UFC will win the lawsuit easily.
Which is why it’s made it all the way to class certification.

There is nothing wrong with this from an accounting standpoint. Many companies include insurance, employee benefits, licensing fees, etc. as part of the named account for employee compensation.
Indeed. This is generally referred to as the "benefits" portion of employee compensation. It is included in an employment offer and the dollar value is calculated into gross annual compensation. Sometimes separated, if stated as $$ amount plus benefits.

The only real question is do organizations like the NFL, NBA count drug testing as fighter compensation?

The whole point of this is that the UFC is avoiding bad optics by trying to claim 20% of revenue goes toward fighter compensation. If it is normal practice to count drug testing then no harm, no foul but if the NFL, etc do not then the UFC is being shady
Those organizations have unions which decide those things
Drug testing though? That's an employer initiative, not an employee benefit.
GSP and others were demanding drug testing, so blame them

USADA costs should be classified as a BUSINESS COST, not fighter compensation!

It's just silly of them to say "oh that's part of fighter compensation". No it's not, it's a cost of doing business. Same as paying the electric bill in UFC offices, paying staff their salaries, paying for the guys who set-up the Octagon each event, it's just the cost of doing business.

No great surprise though that the UFC is as shady as shit, everything is setup to make themselves look good.

This.
Fuck that company. Shady as fuck.

Including things like the cost of drug testing in 'fighter compensation' is like including things like the cost of putting up the octagon or renting a venue in 'fighter compensation'.

After all, the fighters are using it, so it counts, right?

Last edited:
Don't what's more laughable.

That the UFC considers drug testing to be part of fighter compensation.

Even after filling up on bullshit they can still only get to 20%

Or that shills are employed to come here and defend it.

I think the issue is coming from the UFC considering this fighter income, as opposed to simply a cost related to the fighters.

right I get how it looks shitty, but that's just semantics.

I mean, what else are they supposed to do, they spend that money on the fighters and report it as an amount that is given/used on the fighter.

The UFC pays for surgeries and such required from injuries sustained during fights/training camps for fights right? If they do, not sure how it's that crazy, I feel like most large companies would do this.

you are correct

but this is sherdog so...

dis sum mudafucking bullshit mang lol

I mean, what else are they supposed to do, they spend that money on the fighters and report it as an amount that is given/used on the fighter.

The UFC pays for surgeries and such required from injuries sustained during fights/training camps for fights right? If they do, not sure how it's that crazy, I feel like most large companies would do this.

An insurance company pays for surgeries and other health care. Not the UFC.

But if you are making the point that most employers include health insurance costs when declaring total compensation, you are correct.
I completely disagree with including insurance costs when declaring employee compensation, but many disagree with me on that.

Health care is a universal right.

I'm not at all certain they pay for injuries. Certain guys under certain circumstances ya, but I don't think that's a regular practice
Oh they do. Check how many fighters pull out during fight week. Insurance covers them when it's that close. Fighters withstand tremendous pain for months, then pull out come fight time. Then that insurance kicks in and they're clear baby

An insurance company pays for surgeries and other health care. Not the UFC.

But if you are making the point that most employers include health insurance costs when declaring total compensation, you are correct.
I completely disagree with including insurance costs when declaring employee compensation, but many disagree with me on that.

Health care is a universal right.
Psh. No it's not, that's absurd.
Living in a mansion, with a supermodel maid. Now that's a right.

Its probably lumped in with fighter compensation because it's a fixed cost per fighter. So it make sense accounting-wise

Should be 50% like every other league. Obviously below 20%. Unexpectable.

Back