• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

UFC 230: Cormier vs. Lewis (Nov 3, 2018)

Wow, Ben Saunders taking a fight barely over a month after his last one, a loss? Seems dumb.

At least in Derrick Lewis' case, he is getting a huge payday and opportunity. What does Saunders get?

Wow, Ben Saunders taking a fight barely over a month after his last one, a loss? Seems dumb.

At least in Derrick Lewis' case, he is getting a huge payday and opportunity. What does Saunders get?
Payday? He got outgrappled in his last fight, and Moraes only landed 2 strikes on him according to fightmetric so it's not like he got mauled even if it was one-sided. He probably takes more damage in most sparring sessions, so might as well pull another paycheck as a journeyman and hopefully foster some UFC goodwill.

Seriously, what fights are you watching? Between your claims that Weidman definitely won the first round against Rockhold and that Wilkinson somehow won the first round against Adesanya (?!), it's like you're seeing what you want to see.
Majority media scorecards had Wilkinson winning R1, especially since he had top control for a good chunk of it. He did gas with the pace he was running to do it in, but I think it's illustrative that going wild on Adesanya isn't instant death by counters.

Jacare gonna open as a dog?

noooo~~~ my free money. Rockhold was gonna win for sure~

Payday? He got outgrappled in his last fight, and Moraes only landed 2 strikes on him according to fightmetric so it's not like he got mauled even if it was one-sided. He probably takes more damage in most sparring sessions, so might as well pull another paycheck as a journeyman and hopefully foster some UFC goodwill.

I guess? The payday can't be that high, though, and without a full training camp, Saunders' chances of losing go up significantly. Given his age and how many fights he has had, I would think he would want to maximize his chances of winning his remaining bouts.

Gugabe said:
Majority media scorecards had Wilkinson winning R1, especially since he had top control for a good chunk of it. He did gas with the pace he was running to do it in, but I think it's illustrative that going wild on Adesanya isn't instant death by counters.

I'll take your word about the majority of media, but if so, that simply indicates how incompetent they are at scoring fights, with "temporarily getting top position while doing absolutely nothing with it >>> anything and everything else" being the overriding algorithm.

Also, Wilkinson is very careful when coming forward, with competent punches and even a passable jab. I would certainly not call his strategy against Adesanya blind or wild aggression, either.

Compare and contrast that to Brunson.

Other than the Whittaker fight, Brunson has been fairly sensible about coming forward. I think he was intimidated in that matchup, as it was a terrible one for him. To me Adasanya is a great matchup for him... way better than for Tavares, who is a fairly one-dimensional sprawl and brawler. If Brunson does his normal style, feinting rushes and mixing in TDs, I could definitely see him having success. A random KO is even a possibility.

I guess? The payday can't be that high, though, and without a full training camp, Saunders' chances of losing go up significantly. Given his age and how many fights he has had, I would think he would want to maximize his chances of winning his remaining bouts.

I'll take your word about the majority of media, but if so, that simply indicates how incompetent they are at scoring fights, with "temporarily getting top position while doing absolutely nothing with it >>> anything and everything else" being the overriding algorithm.

Also, Wilkinson is very careful when coming forward, with competent punches and even a passable jab. I would certainly not call his strategy against Adesanya blind or wild aggression, either.

Compare and contrast that to Brunson.
Wilkinson prettymuch dived for his ankles in that one and gassed himself out. Dude didn't want to be standing at all, but I feel that it illustrates Israel having some vulnerability to people just coming at him. http://www.fightmetric.com/fight-details/1cd5d5e271b646a3 Wilkinson doubled Israel's strikes landed in R1.

Saunders is probably out of the UFC regardless with his next loss. A short notice replacement probably earns him a good bonus for helping the promotion out, and may even let him accumulate another loss without getting fired. No reason to think the UFC'd be giving him a particularly winnable fight next, too. He's old, reasonably entertaining and ripe to be given to a entertaining up-and-comer.

Last edited:
Jacare is a bad matchup for Weidman.. he is better everywhere except wrestling...

Jacare is a bad matchup for Weidman.. he is better everywhere except wrestling...
I'd say Weidman's a better striker, but Jacare's got insane power despite being pretty damned rudimentary.

after watching some jacare fights, here are my general assessments about him
1. he has no gas, if it is not done in round 1, he will most likely lose
2. UFC does not like him, he should won the fight with Gastelum. He clearly won round 1 and 3 yet UFC helped Gastelum win UFC 224. I think he shoulda won by a split decision.
3. he has crazy spirit, at one point, he fights unconsciously with Gastelum
4. he is technical but his grappling suffers due to his old age (for example, he had his chance with Whittaker in round 1 but he slipped. He had his chance with Gastelum in round 1 and he also slipped)
5. after his takedown, he has no gas

Weidman
1. UFC likes the guy
2. He has a better gas tank than Souza (can go all three rounds no problem)
3. he has good defense and can take damages well
4. despite people's weird impression that he is good submission artist, he is a lousy grappler, he slips all the time. He aint no Khabib.

prediction
Decision Weidman

To be fair, he’s only challenging for a title because of his mic skills on the biggest PPV of all time and his subsequent social media stardom.

Let's not forget that the heavyweight division is SHIT...I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but there aren't a lot of guys out there who are more deserving of a title shot right now besides Curtis Blaydes or Stipe. So it's not just because he's vocal about having hot balls.

This is absurd.
Ummm really? Ufc has a long history of playing favotites. For example, during the match between Rockhold vs Weidman , herb dean did not stop the match until the round was over even though it should have clearly been stopped. Back then, ufc favored weidman. I mean its biz.

Ummm really? Ufc has a long history of playing favotites. For example, during the match between Rockhold vs Weidman , herb dean did not stop the match until the round was over even though it should have clearly been stopped. Back then, ufc favored weidman. I mean its biz.

If the UFC picks favorites how can you possibly explain Woodley still being the Champ? Do you really think a multi-billion dollar company is going to risk their reputation, sponsorship deals, public opinion, etc etc, on the outcome of a fairly meaningless co-main event? Are you serious?

If the UFC picks favorites how can you possibly explain Woodley still being the Champ? Do you really think a multi-billion dollar company is going to risk their reputation, sponsorship deals, public opinion, etc etc, on the outcome of a fairly meaningless co-main event? Are you serious?
There are degrees. Ufc cannot obviously have artem lobov beat gsp but they can make it so that lobov chances are significantly increased. Ufc does everything within its power to groom popular fighters into champs.

Back