UFC 229: Only a month away and not one iota of promotion. Bizarre.

Exactly. And we're going to see tons of McGregor vs Khabib commercials aired during all of UFC 228.

Conor will probably eventually do some interviews and a press conference during fight week, and that will be enough to hype the fight to sell ~1.5M PPV buys. Conor probably doesn't feel it's worth sacrificing all that time to sell an extra 500k buys, when he needs to focus on training.

There is absolutely no way on earth that it sells 1.5m PPV

I know the excuses...

"The fight doesn't need promo it sells itself"

"The dolly footage is enough"

"The fight doesn't need a world tour, it sells itself"

I'm not sure guys, I think these excuses stink. These fights come around once every lifetime. I understand Conor vs a milkman would sell PPV, but Conor vs an undefeated, beast of grappler will sell even more. All of the Conor haters will truly tune in knowing that he's a heavy underdog, the Conor lovers will tune in hoping for him to yet again play David in the story of Goliath.

Of course this fight will sell, it will sell with no promotion, but the idea that they shouldn't pour Mayweather/Pacquiao levels of buildup into this card is just stupid. Shove it down mainstream media's throat, get every possible casual you can. I haven't seen one interview with Khabib since his last fight, I haven't seen one clip of Conor since being in a courtroom.

STEP IT THE FUCK UP.

The excuse is Conor doesn’t want to do it and the UFC can’t do shit about it.

No need to promote the fight when Khabib is about 20% likely to show up.

WME doesn't do much promotion period for any of the cards. I guess it's a cost saving move but it's pretty dumb. Basically like stepping over a dollar ro pick up a penny.

This would make the most sense, but I'm sure the rumors are also correct in that Conor probably isn't being very cooperative with media obligations (again).

UFC 228 has to happen first. Wouldn't make sense to ramp up the promos before that.

WME doesn't do much promotion period for any of the cards. I guess it's a cost saving move but it's pretty dumb. Basically like stepping over a dollar ro pick up a penny.
THIS.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but WME do very little promotion for EVERY card these days, they put in very little effort, a few youtube videos here and there, and thats about it. We think its in the news because we are sherdoggers and its everywhere here, but we are only a very tiny minority, most other people have no clue these fights are happening.

I've had few co-workers question me regarding the Conor vs Khabib match. Two are without a doubt are "casuals" and the other practices, but isn't into the whole MMA buffet.

The UFC doesn't promote cards anymore until the week of the fight with embedded.

I remember the UFC bombarding commercials and and press events for McGregor vs Aldo from something like three months out, only to have Aldo pull out two weeks before the fight. Perhaps they no longer want to invest in long-term event promotion of that sort.

Is it possible that, the powers that be, somehow know that this fight isn't going to take place? And therefore are not wasting a dime promoting it?

Or do they just believe that the Conor love/hate is so powerful that his mere presence will be enough, with no need to spend millions of dollars promoting it?

Is it possible that, the powers that be, somehow know that this fight isn't going to take place? And therefore are not wasting a dime promoting it?

Or do they just believe that the Conor love/hate is so powerful that his mere presence will be enough, with no need to spend millions of dollars promoting it?

Why would the UFC / Dana / Conor's manager pull him out of Khabib fight?

What other fight that would make them more money?

Why would the UFC / Dana / Conor's manager pull him out of Khabib fight?

What other fight that would make them more money?

It wont be the UFC that kills it.

Conor doesn't want this fight.

He wants another big-dick-money fight with Floyd.

Was thinking the same... radio silence... wierd.
But then was watching live-stream of EPT yesterday and 3 times poker-players at the featured table were discussing who would win Khabib or Conor. Pokerstars promoting this fight even more than the UFC. :D Funny when a chinese dude asked an irish guy who would win, the irish guy said: "i don't follow these things" :D

It wont be the UFC that kills it.

Conor doesn't want this fight.

He wants another big-dick-money fight with Floyd.

Don't the UFC get a big portion of the Conor vs. Mayweather fight, too?
The excuse is Conor doesn’t want to do it and the UFC can’t do shit about it.

The UFC can make a lot of promotional trailers, run a lot of ads. I haven't seen much at all.

Back