UFC 229: Only a month away and not one iota of promotion. Bizarre.

The reason is conors greedy and they almost have to promote 228 with 229 and conor dont want anybody near his spot light that didnt earn it. After next weekend shitle pop off.

I thought promotion for the fight was doing great, but that’s because I come to Sherdog and see hundreds of threads being made daily about Conor.

If anything, the UFC should promote Sherdog, and get the entire general population in here.

<seedat>

Do you really think that normal people will stick around sherdog for long?

UFC 228 has to happen first. Wouldn't make sense to ramp up the promos before that.
very true, plus there's two fight nights before then. They can advertise after 228, because if they show anything before, it might take away from buys for 228. Conor/Khabib is a huge fight. I think some would skip 228 knowing a better one is coming up. Woodley/Till isn't selling much as it is. the card is horrible.

I have the same feeling about it. Make no mistake though, records will be broken. Everybody wants to see this fight.

I know the excuses...

"The fight doesn't need promo it sells itself"

"The dolly footage is enough"

"The fight doesn't need a world tour, it sells itself"

I'm not sure guys, I think these excuses stink. These fights come around once every lifetime. I understand Conor vs a milkman would sell PPV, but Conor vs an undefeated, beast of grappler will sell even more. All of the Conor haters will truly tune in knowing that he's a heavy underdog, the Conor lovers will tune in hoping for him to yet again play David in the story of Goliath.

Of course this fight will sell, it will sell with no promotion, but the idea that they shouldn't pour Mayweather/Pacquiao levels of buildup into this card is just stupid. Shove it down mainstream media's throat, get every possible casual you can. I haven't seen one interview with Khabib since his last fight, I haven't seen one clip of Conor since being in a courtroom.

STEP IT THE FUCK UP.

I agree, even though I’m not a fan of wolf ticket world tours. WME has done a crap job promoting the fights while Conor/Ronda/Brock/Jones were out of commission (pun intended), and now that they have their cash cow back, are still sitting on their hands.

I'd say he half expected the fight to get made. So how he's training wrestling full time.

There's nothing wrong with that

They're on ESPN now. They'll probably both be on First Take at some point.

Honestly, not as psyched about it as I expected to be, but I'm sure it will spike as the date nears. It promises to be an epic match and one that had been in demand for years.

Lets see what happens post 228.

This. It’s the same thing with movies. You didn’t see Marvel's promoting the hell out of Infinity war prior to Black Panther being released. They waited until black panther came out then started ramping up the ads for Infinity War. These films were two months apart.

Woodley vs Till is already going to have trouble selling PPV’s so it’s obvious why the UFC isnt promoting 229 until after Woodley and Till fight.
Don't compare Marvel to the UFC, that is just silly.

Their model is completely different, Marvel don't somehow not promote their huge upcoming Spiderman film because Antman is due out next week, of course they push the bigger film. The thing is, Marvel's small time heroes like Antman, Captain Marvel and even someone like Black Panther, still sell millions at the Box Office. Meanwhile Woodley/Lawler (a great fight) barely breaks 200k in buys.

Majority of UFC PPVs don't sell shit. They can lie to you and tell you that St. Pierre/Bisping and fights like that somehow sell close to a million PPV buys, but they are a private company who can tell you whatever they want. There is never a real source, it's always hearsay and "insiders" who give you these mickey mouse numbers.

Marvel is a company that has been selling it's product for 60 years. Fans all across the world tune into their shows and films, buy their overpriced comics, have their kids in the outfits as kids etc. they themselves were sold for just over $4.25 billion dollars in 2009, which is worth way more a decade later. Everyone on planet earth knows Spiderman or Wolverine, nobody gives a shit about Ronda Rousey and Conor McGregor outside of the US.

I think they are doing it on purpose. People get riled up on something that is obvious, they even made the fight for 229, when they could have pushed for MSG. They will pick up the PR closer to the fight, they dont want a long drawn out promotion. Instant sell.

Khabib runs in with his hands down like he did against Michael Johnson or Barboza... he's getting knocked the fuck out.
Barboza is a million times the striker lucky/phantom punch Connie is.

Be pretty disrespectful to the main fighters involved in 228 to ignore them and promote 229. Expect more after next weekend, probably a new promo video during 228 as well........ and ya, the fight does sell itself.

No point promoting a khabib fight until he makes weight, they learned their lesson

I think they are trying a new marketing strategy. Obviously PPV numbers have fallen so maybe they are trying to fix their system. Expect an awesome promo during Till vs Woodley then they will come in heavy after that.
I think the new strategy is heavy promo 2-3 weeks before the fight so the public doesn't lose interest.
Also less chance of a pull out if the promotion is closer to fight day. Promo some 2 or 3 months before a fight is stupid with how many times a person pulls out from a fight due to injury or some other nonsense. I've seen it happen too much with a media circus that the ufc spends money on only for a fighter to pull out. I believe they did This with Conor vs Aldo before and Aldo pulled out because he pulled a rib or something. (The fight eventually did happen but still the first time it was scheduled it was a disaster and Mendes had to fight short notice)

Also less chance of a pull out if the promotion is closer to fight day. Promo some 2 or 3 months before a fight is stupid with how many times a person pulls out from a fight due to injury or some other nonsense. I've seen it happen too much with a media circus that the ufc spends money on only for a fighter to pull out. I believe they did This with Conor vs Aldo before and Aldo pulled out because he pulled a rib or something. (The fight eventually did happen but still the first time it was scheduled it was a disaster and Mendes had to fight short notice)
Fight happened like 4 months later, it actually made the fight bigger. No problem with a slow build.

I know the excuses...

"The fight doesn't need promo it sells itself"

"The dolly footage is enough"

"The fight doesn't need a world tour, it sells itself"

I'm not sure guys, I think these excuses stink. These fights come around once every lifetime. I understand Conor vs a milkman would sell PPV, but Conor vs an undefeated, beast of grappler will sell even more. All of the Conor haters will truly tune in knowing that he's a heavy underdog, the Conor lovers will tune in hoping for him to yet again play David in the story of Goliath.

Of course this fight will sell, it will sell with no promotion, but the idea that they shouldn't pour Mayweather/Pacquiao levels of buildup into this card is just stupid. Shove it down mainstream media's throat, get every possible casual you can. I haven't seen one interview with Khabib since his last fight, I haven't seen one clip of Conor since being in a courtroom.

STEP IT THE FUCK UP.
It's pretty obvious Conor put his foot down about the RIDICULOUS amount of promotion the UFC has expected out of him in the past. The fight will be the highest selling PPV in UFC history and once camp winds down Conor will promote the fight as much as he feels is necessary. People are literally begging for Conor to promote so his promotion or lack thereof is working perfectly.

neither wants to promo because they're training for the toughest fight of their careers

It will probably ramp up after next weekend.

We’ll see. The rumours of discord between the UFC and Conor could prove telling. It may be that the UFC aren’t going to push the boat out unless Conor does his bit.

It is weird but I kind of prefer it. I hate having shit shoved down my throat, there was a spell where every single item on the MMAJUNKIE newsfeed was about McGregor, it made me sick of the sight of the bloke.

Be pretty disrespectful to the main fighters involved in 228 to ignore them and promote 229. Expect more after next weekend, probably a new promo video during 228 as well........ and ya, the fight does sell itself.
Couldn't promote two fights at once? I guess they are pretty smalltime right, not worth a lot of money at all.

Back