UFC 229: Only a month away and not one iota of promotion. Bizarre.

I know the excuses...

"The fight doesn't need promo it sells itself"

"The dolly footage is enough"

"The fight doesn't need a world tour, it sells itself"

I'm not sure guys, I think these excuses stink. These fights come around once every lifetime. I understand Conor vs a milkman would sell PPV, but Conor vs an undefeated, beast of grappler will sell even more. All of the Conor haters will truly tune in knowing that he's a heavy underdog, the Conor lovers will tune in hoping for him to yet again play David in the story of Goliath.

Of course this fight will sell, it will sell with no promotion, but the idea that they shouldn't pour Mayweather/Pacquiao levels of buildup into this card is just stupid. Shove it down mainstream media's throat, get every possible casual you can. I haven't seen one interview with Khabib since his last fight, I haven't seen one clip of Conor since being in a courtroom.

STEP IT THE FUCK UP.

I love how all the haters are blaming Conor for not wanting to make this fight bigger when he is the only reason this PPV is doing over 200k PPV buys to begin with. Like he is obligated to do all the work to sell this PPV while all the other bums do nothing. How about the UFC do something useful for a change? Have you seen Khabib do any promotion? I sure havn't. Barely anybody knows who he is. He has some work to do.

As far as I'm concerned, Khabib and Dana can get off their ass and go hand out flyers on the street while Conor gets much needed R&R.

Everyone on planet earth knows Spiderman or Wolverine, nobody gives a shit about Ronda Rousey and Conor McGregor outside of the US.
Except on Google Trends, the US is only #6 on searches for "Conor McGregor."

That said, the UFC needs to ramp up promotion and soon, if they want to reach the casuals.

Or maybe Dana's like "Conor won't do promotion? Well, then we won't do promotion either, we'll see how many PPVs get bought, he made his own bed."

True, the fight is a month away and other than the hardcores no one knows it's happening, you can't sell something if you don't tell people it's for sale. Unless connor starts promoting now hard, I don't see this beating the nate diaz fights in ppv
Nah man, dunno where you're from but where I am in England - so many of my customers who are absolute casuals are amped for this fight.
As are almost all my mates who've set up various meets at their houses for it from as soon as it was announced.

Probably because theres a 80% chance khabib doesnt show up , why risk wasting all the monye travellin the world, its gunan be a big draw regardless, how many times has khabib showed up when scheduled vs a top 3 opponent, Conors right, hes a quivering coward <{outtahere}>

3ggf.gif

I thought promotion for the fight was doing great, but that’s because I come to Sherdog and see hundreds of threads being made daily about Conor.

If anything, the UFC should promote Sherdog, and get the entire general population in here.

<seedat>
It's funny and also at the same time unbelievably retarded but even though we are easily the biggest fans of the sport and we obsess over it and function as thousands of unpaid MMA journalists, for some ridiculous reason, Dana hates us...

probably because we tell the truth and go against their narrative from time to time.
i.e: "Ronda is a once in ever athlete"

Conor need belt only to fight Floyd again, it's just necessary evil for bigger paycheck in future.

Except on Google Trends, the US is only #6 on searches for "Conor McGregor."

That said, the UFC needs to ramp up promotion and soon, if they want to reach the casuals.

Or maybe Dana's like "Conor won't do promotion? Well, then we won't do promotion either, we'll see how many PPVs get bought, he made his own bed."
Lol, those statistics are nothing short of laughable.

You didn't exactly tell the full story pal. Some of those countries are Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan etc.

Firstly, those countries have tiny populations, secondly they are practically Russians in disguise, probably loads of searches because he's about to fight Khabib.

Conor is big in his home country of Ireland, neighboring country which is England and then the US. Nobody in South America, Africa or Asia give a fuck about the UFC on a wide scale.

I love how all the haters are blaming Conor for not wanting to make this fight bigger when he is the only reason this PPV is doing over 200k PPV buys to begin with. Like he is obligated to do all the work to sell this PPV while all the other bums do nothing. How about the UFC do something useful for a change? Have you seen Khabib do any promotion? I sure havn't. Barely anybody knows who he is. He has some work to do.

As far as I'm concerned, Khabib and Dana can get off their ass and go hand out flyers on the street while Conor gets much needed R&R.
I hope this isn't geared towards me, because for once I wasn't even criticizing Conor.

Till is now the face of British MMA so they're trying to push him.

Promo for 229 starts the second that main event finishes.
Let me tell you this, they aren't doing a very good job.

Nobody knows Darren Till outside of Liverpool other than pretty hardcore MMA fans.

The Conor fight is selling itself.

the new iphone, marvel movie or gta game would also sell itself. why you think they still spend millions on ads?

the lack of promotion is weird for sure.

Lol, those statistics are nothing short of laughable.

You didn't exactly tell the full story pal. Some of those countries are Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan etc.

Firstly, those countries have tiny populations, secondly they are practically Russians in disguise, probably loads of searches because he's about to fight Khabib.

Conor is big in his home country of Ireland, neighboring country which is England and then the US. Nobody in South America, Africa or Asia give a fuck about the UFC on a wide scale.

Said the Conor hater.

I live in the fucking Middle East, and when conor fights, you have fully booked cinemas showing the fight at 4:00 am in the morning, and there's random ass local motivational speakers using Conor McGOAT as an example that you can achieve anything in life.

Friends and acquaintances who have never shown any interest in combat sports, and are less than casuals, suddenly become into MMA when Conor is fighting.

McGregor is a global phenomenon, deal with it.

Said the Conor hater.

I live in the fucking Middle East, and when conor fights, you have fully booked cinemas showing the fight at 4:00 am in the morning, and there's random ass local motivational speakers using Conor McGOAT as an example that you can achieve anything in life.

Friends and acquaintances who have never shown any interest in combat sports, and are less than casuals, suddenly become into MMA when Conor is fighting.

McGregor is a global phenomenon, deal with it.
What you just claimed is a lie, but whatever helps you create banter ;)

I feel that the fight will not happen and that Conor will decide to pull out following a script.

What you just claimed is a lie, but whatever helps you create banter ;)

At the end of the day, dude is a global superstar with hundreds of millions of dollars, and you're trying to convince people on the internet that he's a nobody, calling facts "lies".

Good luck with your life, it must be really exciting.

Apparently all the tickets are already sold out within 3 hrs....

https://wwos.nine.com.au/news/conor...na-white/bdc70f2a-3976-44d6-adfa-c726e89f1d6d

UFC President Dana White has spruiked the upcoming super-fight between Conor McGregor and Khabib Nurmagomedov as the biggest fight in the sport’s history.

White assured the matchup would draw two-million pay-per-view sales which would fetch a staggering $180 Million of profit from viewership alone.

“Believe me when I tell you, this will be massive,” White told Yahoo Sports.

“I am confident it will do 2 million on pay-per-view.”

Tickets for the fight sold out in three hours which should earn the UFC an additional $20 Million at the gate, as fans flock to watch how the biggest name in the sport deals with arguably the most dangerous threat to his legacy.

As protocol, the organisation comps all of its fighters free tickets to any UFC event but with the October 6th bout things are a little different.

UFC veteran Daniel Cormier purchased two tickets at roughly $10,000 while White himself purchased five tickets. Even UFC CEO Ari Emanuel was forced to snap up six.

“We’ve had some regular people pay 10,000 for a ticket,” White said.

“But when I say regular people I should say some very rich, regular people.

“It’s going to blow people away how big this event will be.”

Combat fans have long anticipated the fight between McGregor and Nurmagomedov with the Russian standing as the only real competitor to the chirpy Irishman having dispatched Eddie Alvarez in 2016.

I want promotion, but ironically I DON'T want the casual / pop culture attention that comes with it. This fight is a REAL fan's wetdream, not some farce like Conor Floyd. I'll be satisfied with 1 good pre fight presser with both fighters there to face off. After that we can let em train until the showdown.

Back