UFC 229: Only a month away and not one iota of promotion. Bizarre.

At the end of the day, dude is a global superstar with hundreds of millions of dollars, and you're trying to convince people on the internet that he's a nobody, calling facts "lies".

Good luck.
If he never fought again he'd go down as the MMA fighter who lost to Mayweather in a farcical fight. That much is true.

We like to act like us MMA fans are a huge proportion of society - you simply cannot compare Conor McGregor to true global superstars like Lionel Messi, Ronaldinho, Cristiano Ronaldo, Roger Federer, LeBron James, Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods and more.

Conor McGregor is a noticable figure because he's so brash, but the reality is that if he was walking around a street in Lagos he wouldn't be mobbed like Lionel Messi would. If he was walking down the street in Waterford he probably wouldn't even be mobbed and that's in his own country - but if you threw Cristiano Ronaldo on that same street you would see everyone fighting for a picture.

It's not a problem that Conor isn't a global superstar, he's a big name in sports, but he is a fad. He sold his soul for money by fighting Floyd, and even someone like Floyd really isn't a global superstar, much more of a US centric superstar and that is cool because that's all he needs and that's how the PPV market works, it's a very US thing.

Nah man, dunno where you're from but where I am in England - so many of my customers who are absolute casuals are amped for this fight.
As are almost all my mates who've set up various meets at their houses for it from as soon as it was announced.
I'm from England too, are you sure your customers are casuals? I haven't seen much news or stuff go viral about the fight, maybe they know a hardcore fan who hyped them up about the fight.
Also if you're a sherdogers I wouldn't be surprised if everyone around you knew the fight was on.

Why waste all that money to promote two guys and fly them around the world if one is just going to pull out with a bruised rib

I follow mma/ufc, don't know the date of the card
They hardly promote the fights anymore, then complain nobody tunes in

I'm from England too, are you sure your customers are casuals? I haven't seen much news or stuff go viral about the fight, maybe they know a hardcore fan who hyped them up about the fight.
Also if you're a sherdogers I wouldn't be surprised if everyone around you knew the fight was on.
my customers are that of which come into a fish and chip shop that is in a highly impoverished area with a university not too far therefore a lot of students too.
They can't name any other fighters once I talk to them about it, don't know anything of Khabibs previous fights and just recite what they read in the papers or Facebook.
A lot don't even know when the fight is, just that mcgregor is in one this year.

Sounds pretty casual to me.

Ps.
If they weren't, I'd prob not be on sherdog but given how much I enjoy ufc and how niche it is, it's nice to talk to 'like minded' folk on the topic

Conor McGregor Reportedly Has Not Agreed To Media Duties To Promote UFC 229
https://www.forbes.com/sites/trentr...media-duties-to-promote-ufc-229/#441570365df7

Ever since the UFC announced that a fight between Khabib Nurmagomedov and Conor McGregor would headline UFC 229, there hasn’t been much of a promotional push for the October 6 fight card, which the UFC expects to be one of the biggest events in the history of the promotion.

https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.com%2Fdam%2Fimageserve%2Faf8864686b4a45f4a9a04eb06cb606c3%2F960x0.jpg%3Ffit%3Dscale

The lack of promotion for the October 6 UFC 229 fight card reportedly has a lot to do with Conor McGregor. (AP Photo/Isaac Brekken)

Some of that could be because tickets for the event are already almost entirely sold out. The sale of those tickets, which range from $205 up to $2,025 per seat, has already made the event the second highest gate in the history of the promotion. Another reason for the lack of publicity could be Conor McGregor himself.

“One of the reasons you haven’t seen much in the way of interviews and such is that McGregor has not agreed to do anything,” MMA journalist Dave Meltzer wrote in his Wrestling Observer newsletter (via MMAMania). “There are no press conferences scheduled because McGregor at this point hasn’t agreed to them. There is a lot of frustration within the UFC about McGregor’s attitude, but in the end, he’s got the leverage and the ticket sales and secondary market results only give him more leverage.”

The stakes are high for McGregor heading into this fight. The former two-division champion has not fought for the UFC since November 2016 and he is a slight underdog. With little time to ready himself for the bout against Nurmagomedov, who is one of the best grapplers in the UFC, McGregor might not want to be pulled away from his preparation and training, something that Meltzer acknowledged in his report.

“The feeling is that this may be the biggest non-boxing PPV of all-time, and the only reason it wouldn’t be is that McGregor hasn’t been pushing it hard. McGregor was able to get a larger piece of the action for this fight than any of his UFC fights to date, so there is a direct correlation more than ever between his work in promoting the fight and his pocketbook, but this may also show that he knows he’s in a real fight and doesn’t want to break training.”

Adreed. I'm curious why there's no media tour for the biggest fight in UFC history.

Conor is exhausted from all the years of media. He has said many times in the past that he would rather just cut out all the BS and fight. Has to be especially draining for someone who puts on an act like that to draw in the biggest audience possible.

the ufc feels leaderless right now. the new company completely dropped the ball. I barely know when cards are happening nowadays.

Lol, those statistics are nothing short of laughable.

You didn't exactly tell the full story pal. Some of those countries are Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan etc.

Firstly, those countries have tiny populations, secondly they are practically Russians in disguise, probably loads of searches because he's about to fight Khabib.

Conor is big in his home country of Ireland, neighboring country which is England and then the US. Nobody in South America, Africa or Asia give a fuck about the UFC on a wide scale.
Wat? None of those countries you mentioned are ahead of the US. Looks like the only laughable thing is your skill of looking at statistics.

UFC doesn't really know how to promote fighters, they have to do it themselves and Conor hasn't decided start promoting yet.

True, the fight is a month away and other than the hardcores no one knows it's happening, you can't sell something if you don't tell people it's for sale. Unless connor starts promoting now hard, I don't see this beating the nate diaz fights in ppv

The 1st Nate fight only had 1 week of promo.

The writing is on the wall: Conor was talking after the Floyd fight how he wanted a stake in UFC now since hes the big draw, he probably tried to negotiate into being co-promoter on 229 and the UFC iced him out, so now he isnt lifting a finger to promote it.
Aha that's an interesting idea and you might be spot-on with that. McGregor now runs 'McGregor Sports & Entertainment' and maybe you're right that he wanted to co-promote and they said "Nope" and so he's gonna do minimal promotion. Well i think we'll all find out in the week following UFC228 if things ramp up or not.

TBH, it's because theyre banking on the winner of 229 to call out the winner of 230, which is actually a much better card. They're praying it's not Khabib and Diaz though.

This is a common tactic:

A fight has been booked, and it will be cancelled for one reason or another. The fight might take 3-4 attempts, each time the hype being elevated.

The fallout from each scheduled fight will feed into the hype of the next.

Just waiting for the "I can't believe they're standing across the cage from eachother "

Conor has said multiple times in the past that khabib and tony are pull out artists and he's not wasting effort promoting a fight against them

can you really blame him?

Conor has said multiple times in the past that khabib and tony are pull out artists and he's not wasting effort promoting a fight against them

can you really blame him?
Tony isn't bad but yea why would you promote a khabib fight.

Back