UFC 229: Only a month away and not one iota of promotion. Bizarre.

Kind of pisses me off that Khabib and Tony are finally on the same card but they're not fighting each other lol.

The writing is on the wall: Conor was talking after the Floyd fight how he wanted a stake in UFC now since hes the big draw, he probably tried to negotiate into being co-promoter on 229 and the UFC iced him out, so now he isnt lifting a finger to promote it.
I think it’s a perfect combination of this ^ as well as being burned by promoting Khabib fights in the past. The face off Conor had with Nate he punched Nate’s hand and the potential for a disaster if they’re in the same room is greater between these two considering the animosity. And when Conor started Mcgregor Promotions in order to generate additional revenue for his promotional skills, the UFC didn’t have the foresight to understand that he would no longer do what amounts to ‘free’ promotion for the UFC. Floyd was constantly chirping about how Conor is an employee and they thought he was gonna come back and be the same company man. He still is a company man but now it’s his company, Mcgregor Entertainment Promotions. I would not be surprised at all if Conor pulled out in order to gain the leverage to get paid more for promoting the fight.

I would not be surprised at all if Conor pulled out in order to gain the leverage to get paid more for promoting the fight.
I too get the feeling something weird is gonna happen between now and Oct 6th. Something similar to your suggestion (maybe).
I get the impression Conor didn't get all his demands met fro his return, and that he's not finished trying to leverage his current power. Anyway, time will tell, of course.

I too get the feeling something weird is gonna happen between now and Oct 6th. Something similar to your suggestion (maybe).
I get the impression Conor didn't get all his demands met fro his return, and that he's not finished trying to leverage his current power. Anyway, time will tell, of course.
I hope it doesn’t and they end up fighting oct 6 but this feels like another ‘shit happened’ card in the making.

I know the excuses...

"The fight doesn't need promo it sells itself"

"The dolly footage is enough"

"The fight doesn't need a world tour, it sells itself"

I'm not sure guys, I think these excuses stink. These fights come around once every lifetime. I understand Conor vs a milkman would sell PPV, but Conor vs an undefeated, beast of grappler will sell even more. All of the Conor haters will truly tune in knowing that he's a heavy underdog, the Conor lovers will tune in hoping for him to yet again play David in the story of Goliath.

Of course this fight will sell, it will sell with no promotion, but the idea that they shouldn't pour Mayweather/Pacquiao levels of buildup into this card is just stupid. Shove it down mainstream media's throat, get every possible casual you can. I haven't seen one interview with Khabib since his last fight, I haven't seen one clip of Conor since being in a courtroom.

STEP IT THE FUCK UP.
Hate to say it but mcgregor posting to like 1.5 million likes on his Instagram every day is already more publicity than any other fighter commands.

Back