UFC 229: Only a month away and not one iota of promotion. Bizarre.

The Natural Born Runner

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know the excuses...

"The fight doesn't need promo it sells itself"

"The dolly footage is enough"

"The fight doesn't need a world tour, it sells itself"

I'm not sure guys, I think these excuses stink. These fights come around once every lifetime. I understand Conor vs a milkman would sell PPV, but Conor vs an undefeated, beast of grappler will sell even more. All of the Conor haters will truly tune in knowing that he's a heavy underdog, the Conor lovers will tune in hoping for him to yet again play David in the story of Goliath.

Of course this fight will sell, it will sell with no promotion, but the idea that they shouldn't pour Mayweather/Pacquiao levels of buildup into this card is just stupid. Shove it down mainstream media's throat, get every possible casual you can. I haven't seen one interview with Khabib since his last fight, I haven't seen one clip of Conor since being in a courtroom.

STEP IT THE FUCK UP.

Conor doesn't want to do the promo so it's not getting done.

UFC 228 has to happen first. Wouldn't make sense to ramp up the promos before that.

WME still skeptical whether Conor is an actual PPV draw.

Khabib runs in with his hands down like he did against Michael Johnson or Barboza... he's getting knocked the fuck out.

True, the fight is a month away and other than the hardcores no one knows it's happening, you can't sell something if you don't tell people it's for sale. Unless connor starts promoting now hard, I don't see this beating the nate diaz fights in ppv

I thought promotion for the fight was doing great, but that’s because I come to Sherdog and see hundreds of threads being made daily about Conor.

If anything, the UFC should promote Sherdog, and get the entire general population in here.

<seedat>

Adreed. I'm curious why there's no media tour for the biggest fight in UFC history.

does it matter? It will still sell more than Brock vs Cormier.

He should be expanding his empire right now. We should be seeing his face everywhere. Something is wrong. He’s not acting normal.

He’s gonna lose.

UntriedObedientDavidstiger-size_restricted.gif

756UE8.gif

does it matter? It will still sell more than Brock vs Cormier.
They aren't having a competition on which one sells more. And of course it matters, the more you promote it, the more ppv it sells obviously. Hence the reason there was a report that the UFC was pissed Conor didn't wanna do press and promote it.

It does seem like they expect someone to pull out. Really can't blame them. Dana doesn't seem to want to address the fight whatsoever though. Thus they announced it after the press conference so there could be no questions about it.

I think they are trying a new marketing strategy. Obviously PPV numbers have fallen so maybe they are trying to fix their system. Expect an awesome promo during Till vs Woodley then they will come in heavy after that.
I think the new strategy is heavy promo 2-3 weeks before the fight so the public doesn't lose interest.

UFC 228 has to happen first. Wouldn't make sense to ramp up the promos before that.

This. It’s the same thing with movies. You didn’t see Marvel promoting the hell out of Infinity war prior to Black Panther being released. They waited until black panther came out then started ramping up the ads for Infinity War. These films were two months apart.

Woodley vs Till is already going to have trouble selling PPV’s so it’s obvious why the UFC isnt promoting 229 until after Woodley and Till fight.

Maybe one of them is injured, så it is no point with a world tour o_O

True, the fight is a month away and other than the hardcores no one knows it's happening, you can't sell something if you don't tell people it's for sale. Unless connor starts promoting now hard, I don't see this beating the Logan Paul fights in ppv

Lol fixed it for you

<NoneOfMy>

Back